MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/06/2011 01:15 PM

Feeling like my body's in a vice

lilcee
lilcee  

Today I feel like my body is in a vice. It feels so tight, expecially around the upper part - chest, ribs and back. It's like one of those balloons that you make into an animal and you twist it in the middle and all the air goes to the top and bottom. It feels like all my "air" is pushed to the top part of my body.

Anyone feel like that?

Sometimes I worry about my heart but I've had it checked 4 times in the past year at 3 different ER's. The latest one was at the Mayo Clinic in Dec. and they said it's not my heart. So I try not to worry but it's hard to know sometimes.

Does this sound like Costochondritus? It feels so tight. I just want to take a pin and poke my body and let all the air out.

To bad we can't just open our body's and take out all the pain and inflamation LOL.

Thanks for letting me vent. Hope you all have a good day.

01/06/2011 01:18 PM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I completely understand what you're talking about! I have that feeling around my ribcage quite a bit. My doc said it was from anxiety. Sometimes, it's hard to catch your breath it hurts so badly. Have you tried any antianxieties? It may be a good idea to talk to your doc about the possibility of anxiety causing the discomfort. Hope you get to feeling better very soon!

01/06/2011 02:36 PM
Kimbaskicks
Kimbaskicks  

YES! I went to the ER for the same reason a couple of years ago and they mentioned Costochondritus! I haven't had another episode quite that bad since going on Cymbalta.

Personally, I don't think you can ever be too careful when it comes to your heart! Better safe than sorry!

{Hugs}

01/06/2011 03:21 PM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

Awww honey, I am so sorry you are so miserable!

I wish I could help you, you have my heart and prayers, and I hope you feel better before you go to bed so that you can sleep well.

Hugs

Natty

01/06/2011 03:52 PM
jeanetter44
jeanetter44  

It too have those feelings almost all the time, at first it started over my c7 and neck and has since went to my whole body, weak legs, but the upper pain you speak of is awful, the last six months it's gone into my ribs where it hurts to breathe at times! I grab ahold of my bottom ribs and stretch as much as I can, it brings little relief but you have to do something when you are in that much pain. I've just come out of that for a break, and today I feel like I have the stomach flu, which I know is just part of the fibro...nausea, diarrhea, just sick. And sick of being sick. It's one thing after another, never ceasing, always strong, it's literally ruined my life. I try to have a positive attitude and sometimes I do, this isn't going to stop so I have to do my best to change my attitude toward it, what a challenge. Try to lay flat on your back for awhile, inhale/exhale slowly with eyes closes. I also own a heating blanket which provides so much comfort I wouldn't go with out it. Hope you feel better soon. All my best...Jeanette

01/06/2011 03:55 PM
jeanetter44
jeanetter44  

Oh please let me add, do your best to remain calm, I know it's hard when you are in that much pain, but it's a must as getting upset makes it even worse and who needs that, right? I still struggle with many things of course lol...and that's one that is very important and learning slowly how to deal with this as well. <3

01/06/2011 04:11 PM
lilcee
lilcee  

Thanks everyone for your replys. I have a heating pad tht I use every night while I'm watcing TV. It helps a lot. I think I may have some anxiety which is weird because I've never had it before. But it seems like lately I have it. It seems to pop up for no reason. Does anxiety act like that? I don't work and don't have any stress so I don't know what brings it on except maybe the pain and worrying about what it may be.

I notice too that when I use my arms a lot - like at the computer, cooking, cleaning, driving etc. that the pain gets worse and my shoulders and chest get really tight feeling. It's so annoying.

Thanks again for all your support and I hope you all have a nice evening.

01/06/2011 07:28 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

lilcee,

I love the way you described that. Theat is a perfect explanation. I have costochodritis, so yes, it sounds like it could be that, it could be stress, or it could be a problem with the heart. It's anybody's guess. Did any of the ER s or doctors give you any idea what could be causing the pain. I hope they didn't tell you it was in your head! We all know docs like that.

I am a big advocate for heart problems, because last year, after many years of stress tests every year, echo cardiograms, etc. that I thought I did not need because I thought it was from my asthma or costochondritis, however, I met a heart doctor while visiting a friend in the hosp and he had be called in on her case. I liked him and decided to change cardiologists because my other doc was a long distance from my home and was I was rather impressed with the new doc. I went in for my visit with him and he decided to send me for a new heart test (can't remember the namee) but you get your results from the doc that performs the test and then make an appointment to see your doc. Well, the doc that performed the test told me I had two blockages called widow maker blockages and that they looked pretty significant. Well, that night I got a call from the cardiologist advising me to pack and bag because I would be going to a certain large hospital in our area. I asked why I had to go there, and he said that I should prepare myself for open heart surgery. Talk about scared!!! In the meantime, I had was awakened by chest pain in the middle of the night. I took my nitro and chewed a baby aspirin. I had an appointmemt with my doc the next morning and the happened at 3 am, and I refused to go to the ER. Well, just over one year now, I have two stents in my heart and was very, very, lucky to have been able to get stents instead of open heart surgery. I prayed so hard not to have open heart and my prayers we answered. I was 57 years old, but I have learned that heart disease does not have an age limit. Please, Please try another doc for a 4th opinion. I am not saying in any way that I think it is your heart. but I am a firm believer that we all deserve a good medical care that we pay so dearly for.

Good luck sweetie. I hope you find some relief for your pain. If you want to pm me to talk about it further, please feel free to do so. Hang in there until you get some answers, we all deserve a good doctor.

Hugs~

Christine

01/07/2011 07:39 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi lilcee,

I am sorry you are in misery with your pain ~~~ Maybe we should get together this weekend for a pity party !!!

I had an extremely active and stressful day at work today and hurt from the base of my neck to my feet tonight . Sad

About the only areas that don t hurt are my head (PTL) and my thighs/calves ~~~ My ankles and toes are killing me ~~~~

I am taking 2 Bayer Back and Body capsules along with my Lyrica at bedtime tonight and pray I ll be able to move when I get up in the morning.

Good luck with answers as well as relief from your dr. ~~~ Smile

Marilyn

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved