MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/31/2010 01:05 PM

PAINFUL HANDS AND FINGERS

earlran

Please someone out there, I need some advice, and support from other FMS sufferers..I have just moved to the mountains, in PA, with fiance, had no idea how isolated it would be, don't get me wrong, I love it here,but feel alone, so maybe talking to others will help me..the pain in my hands and fingers have become excruciating, every morning is a struggle, can't do anything until the pain lets up, I have no doctor out here yet...just wondering if others have problems with hands and fingers, numbness, pain, pins and needles, they get ice cold, I sleep every night with heavy gloves, very romantic, I know. I try to put make up on, and can't even feel anything, mascara, eyeliner, etc...pls help me with some advice!

12/31/2010 02:13 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Welcome to the family. I'm so very sorry you are suffering so much. Did your old doctor get you set up with a referral for a new doctor in your area? I wish you didn't feel so alone, I hope being able to chat with us will help some, you don't have to go through this alone!

I suffer awful with my hands and feet but I also have other conditions that effect the symptoms in my hands and feet so it's hard for me to give you specific advice. Have you ever tried soaking your hands or have you ever had a hot wax done? Did your old doctor ever test you for other conditions and was he/she aware of these symptoms. Do you take an anti-inflammatory or muscle relaxer? Sorry I'm asking all these questions, just trying to think of some ideas. I'm sure others will be around that can be of more help cause like I said, I do suffer with these symptoms but mine are the result of another illness.

I look forward to getting to know you and hope you will make yourself right at home here.

12/31/2010 02:36 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Sorry to hear that you are having so much pain right now, wish I had some advice, the only thing I can think of is try soaking them in some very warm water. I have pain issues with my hands and feet but they're not related to my fibro but to another syndrome I have, so not sure what will work for you. Hoping you find some relief soon, I'm sure someone here will have some wonderful advice, there are probably a few fellow fibro-warriors who can help you.

12/31/2010 02:40 PM
grammyinPA

I, too, have painful fingers, hands, wrists but unfortunately I don't have any advice. I will take occasionally an over the counter pain med; advil or tylenol. I plan on inquiring about this at my next doc appt. Have any of you noticed that your pain is bilateral? Always both feet, both legs, both hands, etc.

12/31/2010 02:51 PM
amazing1

I too have VERY painful wrists and hands and fingers. My wrists hurt so bad when I bend them forwards or backwards. It is excruciating at times. My Rheumatologist prescribed me Voltaren Gel yesterday. It is a topical gel for Arthritis. I wanted to try it instead of taking another pill. I will see what happens. Fibromyalgia is so frustrating.

I think the weather plays a huge role in pain too. Happy New Year to everyone! Let us all hope that 2011 is a year with less pain. Smile

12/31/2010 03:00 PM
amazing1

Why don't you try to find a Rheumatologist in your area?

Google Rheumatologist and enter your zip code. Maybe that will help and they can give you something to make the pain more manageable. Feel better! Smile

12/31/2010 03:11 PM
mandr2220
mandr2220Posts: 279

I also have painful wrists, hands and fingers. It takes me a bit to get moving in the morning with them. I have no advise on what to do. I just muscle through it. Some days it is worse than others. I hope you find some relief. Having painful hands is a bum deal.

As far a bi-lateral pain, it's funny you should ask about that. I was thinking about it earlier. I do seem to get bi-lateral pain but it is always more severe on one side than the other. It seems to start out uni-lateral and after a few weeks it turns to bi-lat. Not looking forward to when the new pain in my shoulder becomes bi-lat.....

12/31/2010 04:58 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That's funny that you mentioned about your shoulders mandr. I started our with one torn rotator cuff and believe it or not, I ended up with another one, from severe falls I took.

As far as the hands, boy do I suffer from it. I sometimes wear thin gloves so they don't drive me crazy being too heavy. Earlran, I put my hands in warm to hot water in the morning when I wake up and I move my fingers, etc as the water runs on them to try to loosen them up some. That Voltaren gel is wonderful, however I cannot use it any longer because I have to take blood thinners. My niece has severe arthritis in her hands and she is only 21, she tries to knit to keep hands moving, of course she cannot to it when she cannot absolutely stand the pain. She also takes an ant-inflammatory but I am not sure which one she takes. They tried many before they found the one that worked best for her.

Welcome to our group dear. We are here to offer support and understanding. We all have fibro, so we know when you are coming from.

Welcome Hugs~

Christine

01/01/2011 07:49 AM
earlran

I want to thank everyone for welcoming me, u just have no idea, how happy this make me, that I have other people to talk to right now, been very depressed abt moving, and not having anyone to talk to. I appreciate all the advice, funny abt running hot water on my hands, do that every morning...scary part is I can see the steam, but sometimes can't tell how hot the water is...just know it does give me relief..I will have to find a doctor out here soon, just right now have no insurance, but working on that too

01/01/2011 08:10 AM
JenH35

Hi there! Good luck with getting a doctor, and I hope you are able to get a good one!!

Only within the past couple of weeks have my hands, fingers, forearms etc have begun to hurt. It's hard to do a lot of things now because of it. The other morning I woke up with my left hand swollen (it's worse than the right) and I thought we were going to have to cut my ring off. Luckily ice water helped get the ring off. My left hand is puffy and "fat" now, very stiff to move. I hate thinking of losing the dexterity and mobility of my hands!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved