MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/13/2010 07:42 AM

Can you still get surgery if you are mildly sick?

nicegirlme78
nicegirlme78  

I am scheduled for a tonsilectomy on Thursday but I have had this sinus/cold stuff for a month now. The antibiotic cleared up the worst of it 3 weeks ago. It's not too bad and NO fever! But I do have nasal and sinus congestion and a mild cough. I went to pre-op last week and told them I was alright so they would not reschedule the surgery. I have been getting ready for this surgery for 3 months now and do NOT want to have to cancel it. Do you think they will have to? I don't think so because I do not have a fever but wanted to get other's opinions.

Thanks!

12/13/2010 07:44 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

it depends on your doctor but i think as long as you dont have a fever i think you can still have surgery... I had a sinus infection when i had my sinus surgery as long as i didnt have a fever.. good luck call your doc or nurse and ask...

12/13/2010 08:13 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I think as long as you are not running a fever you will be okay.. I had my tonsils out when I was older so I wont lie it hurts(bad)..they say you can eat ice cream they dont tell you you wont want to,lol..but I did a stupid thing and had pizza to soon and wound up having to have blood clots sucked out..so remeber no pizza. good luck and let us know if you are going to have it on time, nothing like prayers and well wishes to get you through

12/13/2010 08:46 AM
nicegirlme78
nicegirlme78  

Broken,

I am not scared about being put to sleep or the surgery (I have had two prior surgeries) but the pain afterwards scares me a bit. I am counting on the pain pills and ice chips and throat lozenges. Did lozenges help you? I have bought ice cream and popsicles just in case they do feel good. They told me soft mostly cold diet for 7-10 days so I am going to try to stick to that. Thanks for the prayers! I am hoping the surgery will stop my strep throat and maybe help with other infections (sinus etc). The Dr. said that the infection deep in the tonsils can cause sinus infections and such. I had sinus surgery two years ago and still get sinus infections some!

12/13/2010 04:36 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I agree. I think as long as you are not running a fever, they will go ahead and do the surgery. I wish you luck with your surgery and will keep you in my prayers, Please let us know how you make out after you are feeling up to posting again.

Hugs and Prayers~

Christine

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved