MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/07/2008 10:46 AM

Biting my tongue ... yes literally

Cori

I don't know what the deal is!! I have bitten my tongue three times today and numerous times in the past few months. Are my reflexes getting slower??? Whistling Maybe I'm talking to fast Blink or my tongue has grown a mind of its own? W00t or I'm nutso. Plleeaassee tell me someone else is biting their tongue or having some other weird issue to make me feel better. Pinch Wassat

11/07/2008 01:19 PM
Cori

Oh c'mon....Unsureno one? Blush great I'm a weirdo Silly

11/07/2008 01:52 PM
Midnyte

I bite my tongue constantly Sad I don't know why but I do and end up with little sore spots. I don't even realize I've done it until I taste the blood.

11/07/2008 01:54 PM
Cori

Thank you Midnyte!!

11/07/2008 02:00 PM
Midnyte

Ummmm Your welcome Tongue My question to you is after you bite your tongue, do you continue to irritate it against your teeth? I can't seem to stop once I have a bite. The left side of my tongue is sore now from it. OCD rears its head again....

11/07/2008 02:50 PM
Cori

If I have an owie spot (same with anywhere else on my body) I always hit it or bump it or yes irritate it with my teeth. I think once you have an owie then it's a given you are going to do that. Smile

11/07/2008 03:27 PM
beauty4ashes
beauty4ashes  

Cori, I just had a thought.... may be completely irrelevant, but here goes anyway! Laughing

Have you noticed whether you have had any particular foods prior to these 'bites'?? Sometimes we can have food allergies we don't realize, and one reaction is that the tongue can swell. Do you notice indentions on the side of your tongue from your teeth? If so, that is commonly a sign that you have a sensitivity to a food you recently ate. And, if your tongue is swollen, even slightly, the more likely you will be to bite it. And, of course, once you do bite it, there is added swelling, and then even more likely you will keep biting it..... vicious cycle, LOL Pinch

Most people don't even realize this. I had noticed indentions on the sides of my tongue from my teeth off and on for years, and didn't know it was a reaction to certain foods up until here recently.

Anyway,... "food for thought" (yes, that was a pun, LOL) Wink

(((hugs)))

Post edited by: beauty4ashes, at: 11/07/2008 15:29

11/07/2008 04:36 PM
Midnyte

Makes sense... I started thinking back to when mine got worse but can't pinpoint the exact time frame. It's always been a bad "habit" of mine, especially if I'm really nervous... the initial bite, no clue why I do that so often. Sad

11/07/2008 06:55 PM
3doglife
3doglifePosts: 19

Cori, we both must be weird then. I bite mine frequently and I hate the sound of the crunch, really hurts like heck. Of course then it does swell a little so I do it even more than before it finally goes away. I thought it might be age related or something, I'm 54, since it seems to be a more frequent occurance lately. Who knows?

11/07/2008 09:18 PM
DOVE
DOVE  

YES MY PROBLEM WITH BITING MY TONGUE JUST STARTED THIS WEEK BUT IT HAPPENS WHEN I AM SLEEPING. DOES YOURS EVER HAPPEN THEN?

DOVE

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved