MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/26/2010 04:24 PM

How do you cope with the cold temperatures?

ArmyCM
ArmyCM  

Sideways I am just wondering if we can share how we cope with the upcoming cold temperatures. It has already snowed in the mountains her in Colorado. I am freezing! I wore silk underwear to work today, but, unfortunately, they don't cover my hands which have the most pain from the cold. I think I will buy silk gloves for work Cool I also have far infrared sleeves that I put on my arms and they seem to help a little. At home, I use the heating pad all the time and have actually purchased one for work, although the safety inspector would have a cow

W00t

Does anyone do anything special that you can share? I would love your ideas such as if heated matresses work, etc. Take care and stay warm!!

10/26/2010 04:26 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

love my heated mattress pad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... get some hand warmers for work ...and the heat pads for pain... they do last 8 hours

10/26/2010 05:41 PM
grammyinPA

Hi

I don't have any creative methods for dealing with the cold. Typically I am attached to my trusty heating pad and a soft blanket.

Connie

10/26/2010 06:08 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

People have posted about blankets for their cars that they can plug into their lighters. I've seen heated USB gloves and I've also seen heated USB shawls. My daughter knitted me a pair of cotton armwarmers a couple of years ago for Xmas and I loved them when I was working...I could pull them up to my knuckles and still have my fingers free. They're tucked away in the pockets of my leather jacket.

Where I live it doesn't get all that cold. I don't even own a warm coat, I just layer hoodies under my denim or leather jacket. With a warm hat, gloves & a scarf I do OK. I have some insulated boots but I rarely need those, just tennis shoes or my winter birkenstocks. When I was working I kept handwarmers in my desk drawer but never used them. Once or twice I used those self-heating therma-care wraps on my neck but usually got too hot. They stay warm for up to 8 hours (or longer) so if you get busted for the heating pad, try putting those on strategically.

A lot of members swear by heated mattress pads. A lot of people love to layer them over memory foam mattress pads. We had one member who had a "Cuddle-ewe" wool mattress pad that she loved. You can find them on ebay.

Good luck staying warm!

10/26/2010 06:31 PM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

Hi,

I have fleece gloves that I cut the finger tips off, I wear really loose sweats over my regular pants underneath, dress in layers, sherpa coats that go down to mid calf with hoods, boots that are too big so that I can wear extra socks.

Inside heating pads, hot tub outside and we will soon have a Jacuzzi tub inside with an additional heater, Sometimes I wear leggings with leg warmers over them and for some reason the Tempu pedic beds are warm in the winter and yet surprisingly cool in the summer, how do they do that I wonder.....then of course teas, all kinds of teas.....

I live south of Bobbie and where I live it does get cold.....so it has been a learning process figuring out what works and what doesn't.

hugs

Natty

10/27/2010 02:05 AM
niecsey

WOW coloarado !! My sis is off ski-ing there in Jan!! Its too cold here for me in the uk lol hate the cold x

10/27/2010 02:49 AM
bboo

Hello Smile Once I get cold it can be almost impossible to get warm again so prevention is definately the way to go. I've found 'outdoors' shops brilliant as they cater for extremes of weather with various base layer sets (worn close to your skin and under your normal clothes), fleeces, ski jackets, 'quilted' trousers, many items are windproof which I've found makes a huge difference. They also have a good selection of hats, fleece type neck warmers and gloves. There are walking shoes (some look just like trainers) and boots, which prevent the cold coming up through the soles. I've also found socks from department stores which can keep your feet cool when it's hot and warm when it's cold (I don't know how they work but they definately do for me). These things needn't be expensive. There are many discount stores offering really good value for money and frequently have 'Buy one get one free' (BOGOF) deals. If I get wet when it's raining I feel cold to my bones for hours so I've also invested in windproof waterproof trousers. As an advisory when out in the car I would also recommend keeping a change of socks and footwear, hat, gloves, blanket/fleece, food and a flask of something warm if you're going out in the heart of winter and/or in bad weather, as well as a mobile phone! Breakdown services may aim to be with you in a short period of time but when services are stretched it can be quite some time. I know this seems obvious but where possible, a hot lunch (soup for e.g.)seems to make a difference too.

10/27/2010 04:25 AM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have three heating pads & a heated throw that I use, along with fuzzy warm socks & layers of clothes & a thermostat that stays at least 75. I snuggle down with my body pillow & chill out. As far as going to work, I can't answer that one for you. Was taken off work in June of last year, so I've been home since. Sad

Where do you get those car heating pads!?!?!? I have been wanting something like that for a while now. I actually thought about getting one of those converters so I could plug my heating pad & throw into it when we go. Oooohhhhh! I so want one!

10/27/2010 02:21 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

FLEECE!!! lots and lots of it. I have a blanket for in the house one for the car and one I take to the docs. I wear lots of layers, t-shirts, thermal underwear, sweats, and hoodies. I use a big fluffy warm comforter at night, wear flannel pjs and sometimes even have to wear socks. I don't go outside unless I have to and then I wear all my layers plus a big giant blanket coat and fleece lined boots. wishing everyone warm pain free days.

10/27/2010 02:38 PM
bboo

Blimey! You must be slim. If I wore all that I'd look like the michelin man! LOL! Thinking about getting a decent electric blanket. Had to do away with my lovely snuggley feather and down duvet as it was too heavy for me to pull up or reclaim from the duvet snatcher in the night! Finding synthetic duvet with throws inadequate at the moment and it's not all that cold yet. Want an electric blanket which is suitable for washing and drying - don't like the thought of a manky one after a few years. I may struggle but I do have standards! LOL!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved