MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/24/2010 06:05 PM

how to continue on with life

susanhop88
susanhop88  

I always tell myself it could be worst. chronic pain ..... I try not to complain although I want to. It does no good and family can only hear so much. so I take my narcotic, antidepression meds., etc and garden. I love it.dirt and digging gives me a sence of accomplishment and JOY. and digging feels great. Paying a price later( bed ), what is your passion? can you say to yourself that it could be worse. it could be worse ( althogh during a flair it feels like like the end of your life as you know it.

09/24/2010 06:28 PM
annamarie180
annamarie180  

Susan - sorry this hasn't been responded to yet! I'm so glad you have a passion - and perspective - it's very impressive!

It absolutely could be worse! I may not be healthy, but I have a good life, and a good family, and good friends. The pain sucks, but I am so greatful that I deal with physical pain, and not physical and emotional pain. I'm so grateful that I have a home, enough to eat, a bed, and dogs. I'm do grateful that I have the money to go to the doctor when I'm sick. I'm so grateful I have clean water to drink. There's a lot to be thankful for - thank you for reminding me!

09/24/2010 07:56 PM
nina09

I try to be thankful everyday and remind myself often that it could be much worse. I was just telling my husband today I think the only thing that gets me through the pain and fatigue is trying to be positive and optimistic everyday and keeping it all in perspective... I truly am blessed!

My passion is my daughter. She keeps me laughing and smiling everyday. She is the most lovable baby and showers me with hugs and kisses that brighten even the worst days. She gives me the strength I need to keep going and roll my exhausted self out of bed every morning LOL.

09/24/2010 09:39 PM
annamarie180
annamarie180  

I'm so glad you have a daughter like that! And I'm glad you have such a good attitude - I've found that's the only way to make it through the really bad days Smile

09/24/2010 11:09 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That's great you do your gardening I know its hard that used to be one of my favorite things to do when the season came around. Hubby and I would go and pick out the pretty flowers and always go overboard lol the place we go loves us haha. My hubby also suffers from some chronic pain conditions but he still works and loves keeping up with the yard and even does the pretty flowers for me every year Smile I had a tough time at first dealing with thinking of all of the many things I used to be able to do but now I just let it go and know this is me and my new life that was my old life and I don't dwell I'm still the positive and strong person inside I always was and no disease or illness they dx me with is going to change that. We are individuals and are not defined by our illnesess. Keep your positive attitude and nothing will get you down. I have a super supportive husband and 3 beautiful daughters and although I do suffer from many things that beat me up everyday I know it could be worse and also tell myself that and count my blessings. Big hugs, Stacey Wink

09/24/2010 11:18 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Stacey,

Does your hubby have any chronic illness and/or has limitations and takes meds?

Glad you're home.

09/25/2010 09:24 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm sorry I had already went to bed and missed this last night. It's sooo awesome to see you Bits I have missed you so much!!!!

My husband had been having pain issues for years so he finally after pushing he had an MRI they said he could have a herniated disc so that got him in there. It ended up being a couple of disc protrudions and some bulging discs in his back no herniations thankfully but they said those are still very painful which I know I have some in my neck. He also has a pinched nerve in one side, chronic brositis in his shoulder and sciatica. His left kidney is covered in cysts so he did go for the ultrasound but now he needs to see a nephrologist they believe he could have Polycystic Kidney Disease. He goes to pain mngmt every month that his dr sent him to and he gets pain meds, anti inflammatories, muscle relaxers. The dr says it sounds as if HE does also have Fibro because of the "widespread" pain but it was not a confirmed dx it was just in discussion his primary before sending him over there had treated him with Cymbalta which he didn't stick with then Neurontin sooo it's possible he had been dx'd but we hadn't been back to him or really thought about that and then I had started putting it altogether after the dr made that comment. I have always wondered because many of my basic complaints are his too but just a little different. His primary also wants him worked up complete labs he presents the Lupus rash on top of everything!!! I was thinking damn is all my crap contagious or do I just really have my true soul mate lol. His dr is a wicked nit wit so first he is changing drs which is easy but I have a hard time getting him to take care of these things he's too concerned with me. I told him he will be of NO use in helping me if he let's things go and gets so sick we are both bed bound but he's headstrong and hopefully will be going soon. I know he won't want to worry me it's the way he is but I know something has been bothering him because he's been asking questions about drs and stuff and saying maybe it's time for that follow up. I'm grateful but can't help being a little worried. I can't let him see that or he won't go though Wink Hes strong he will be fine, just like me! Smile

Love ya and sorry for the novel it's just kind of a long story lol. Hope you and your daughter are doing well.

Huge Hugs, Stacey

09/25/2010 09:29 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

How wonderful you both take care of each other. I am sorry for your's and his illnesses and pain. Your family is in my prayers.

Gentle Hugs

09/25/2010 09:39 AM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

I too love to garden and haven't been able to this summer because of a broken wrist not the fibro. But I have been able to knit, so am knitting chemo caps when i watch movies on netflix, then I make premie caps with the leftover yarn. since one hand was not able to do much I started out using those funny round looms you see in the sewing sections of Walmart KniftyKnitters....they started a whole new passion....I have since discovered looms made of finer pins and closer together and the stuff comes out looking like real needle knitting only it is much faster, and fortunately others have worked out the different stitches so all I have to do is,

Oh wait.....

I guess it has become a passion.....

Having a passion in life does help us get through painful episodes, and I always figure I am going to end up in bed anyway, or on the couch , so I am better off having a passion than playing it safe and not doing anything.

Adding to the passion the opportunity to do something for someone else makes it all the more gratifying.

hugs

Natty

09/25/2010 11:19 AM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Gardening is or was one of my favorite hobbies, then it became a chore Sad and I couldn't do it for a few years. This year with a brand new home and beautiful big yard, I just had to do it, I paid for it for days but I didn't care, the results are beautiful Smile

I still have to do my fall planting and very soon but I haven't been feeling well at all and between Steve and I, it seems we live at the docs offices lol.

I'm also very positive and refuse to give up or in to this illness along with my others. Granted my life may never be the same but I still have so much to be thankful for and am blessed with so many wonderful things. I know others have it so much worse than I do and I always try to remind myself of that, not to say, I don't feel sorry for myself sometimes, don't we all??? One look at my beautiful granddaughter who is truly a walking miracle and I forget all about my pain...if only for a little while Smile

Stacey, I'm sorry you have to worry about Paul too now, not that you didn't before but you know what I mean. He is already in my prayers however I will say an extra one for him.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved