MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/12/2010 06:00 PM

Do you forget words/switch em?(page 3)

thdmsulvt
thdmsulvtPosts: 86

I think it might be called word aphasia when you can't remember a word and have to substitute something similar for it. For example, I know an animal has a heavy bandage or splint on it's leg but I may refer to it as a cast because I can't remember what the real word is. People correct me, but they do understand what I am talking about because it is so similar. I have forgotten what I have said in a discussion within 2 minutes of finishing my sentences. I don't remember even joining the conversation.

But the word aphasia thing with forgetting a word, but replacing with something similar I believe is quite "normal" for people with fibromyalgia. I'm pretty sure I read it someplace recently.

09/12/2010 06:41 PM
puppymom2

I switch words, use words that start with the same first letter, I forget what I was saying or have said. I forget how to use common household items or what they are called. I have even forgotten that I had children. I missed the freeway last week. I get lost all the time. My neuro has diagnosed me with pseudo-dementia. It does come and go and will get worse if I am tired or stressed.

Family and friends just laugh along with me. When I have to be with people I don't know well I tend to be pretty quiet now where I have always loved to meet new people.

I try to live around it since I can't get rid of it. If I end up with my head in the fog around people who don't know, I explain that I have a neuro condition that messes with my speech and memory and I go on. I came up with this approach after the wife of a board member that controls my husbands work asked if I had children. Hubby said I glazed over. I could not figure out if I even knew what children were much less if I had some. After I did not answer for what must have seemed like a long time my husband answered that we did have children but I was so thrown that I just went on as if it did not happen. For me that was worse than the simple answer I now give. I wonder what the wife thought? But now I am ready with an answer I am comfortable with.

Try to remember to relax and breath when you get foggy, it really will help.

Traci

09/12/2010 07:52 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Ras, I know about going to the wrong places. I took my daughter's friend home a while back (now they have gone to school since k and have been in church together since nursery and are now 15) anyway, I just stopped at a random house and sat there. Finally, I asked if she was going to get out of the car. All the kids in the car busted out laughing and I just sat there, finally she said "Ms. Barbara, this is definetly not my house!!!"

09/12/2010 07:57 PM
puppymom2

bc, that is priceless.

Traci

09/12/2010 08:26 PM
LovesBebe
LovesBebe  

I agree rayneday.. I don't tell my friends about having fibro so I just say "I'm so tired." Fortunately, a lot of ppl around don't mind and they just laugh it off.. It certainly makes moments memorable for them.. oh well..

09/12/2010 08:30 PM
LovesBebe
LovesBebe  

Aww, well I am so glad we are fortunate to have people laugh instead of get angry with our fibrofog.. Yes or if words sound similar I will use it.. sometimes even spelled backwards: like top instead of pot. It's so strange.. I have had fibro for 14 years.. and it's really bad now.. I don't know what's going on.. I think I'm jjust tired now.. I don't know what happened.

09/12/2010 08:51 PM
JOkitty

I forget words too. And have to discribe what i am talking about alot to people and they fill in the words. Then when I hear the word sometimes I think, why would I for get that? but it goes with fibro.....i am still having trouble accepting i have this stuff. I have been told this is a syndrome, but it seems more like a disease to me. I get sick real easy. I catch colds and flu real easy. it seems to have torn my immune system down. GEEEES, I am not being very encouraging!!!!! the good thing is we are not alone. I take comfort in the fact- not that I would wish this on anyone-but I am not alone. I am glad there is online support!!!! Thanks everyone.

09/12/2010 11:07 PM
annamarie180
annamarie180  

JOkitty - my immune system has given up too! I don't even get a fever over 100 with strep anymore - I just get worse and worse until I can get my antibiotic shot.

Sorry, that was totally off topic.

I would have so many good fibrofog stories if I could remember any of them!!!! lol!

08/12/2011 05:14 PM
BettyTonks
BettyTonks  

Silly

It's called Lethologica or Aphasia. All I could come up with was "Aschemia" which is the wrong doggie!! (You'll understand that in a bit.)

I see my mind as a vast field...and I am the cow poke! The words are the cattle or "Doggies" and I try over and over to "lasso" these words but sometimes they just run all over my mind and I cannot catch them!

I am aware they are there! Meaning I know the word is in my vocabulary, I want to say it. I "feel" the word and sometimes I am aware of how many syllables it has, but I cannot say grab it to speak it.

It is really annoying because I possess a vast vocabulary...I just can't always access it!

Instead, I catch the slower "Doggies" AKA words like "Whoosie" or "Thingie" they are the slow ones that I easily lasso. But sometimes I can only lasso the wrong "doggies". Sometimes they start with the same letter as the one I want but usually it's purely random!

I have explained this metaphor to my friends and family so they understand when I am stuck and I say, "I can't catch that Doggie" Or "Them Doggie's are getting away from me." Sometimes I LOL and say, "OOPS! I lassoed the wrong doggie!"

If in the "real" world I ever owned 2 cows, I would name one "Whoosie" and the other "Thingie"

You have to laugh about it! Crying isn't an option! W00t

Post edited by: BettyTonks, at: 08/12/2011 05:14 PM

Post edited by: BettyTonks, at: 08/12/2011 06:32 PM

08/12/2011 08:01 PM
mem1318

BettyTonk, I love it. I do it quite often. Half the time I say you know what I'm trying to say or you know what I'm talking about.

A lot of folks don't understand and make a issue out of it. While I laugh it off and go on with life. But there again some can just piss you off till you just want to cuss, then you will be in wrong for cussing them out. I have make myself look back at my screen name REALITYWORLD lol

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 3 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved