MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/14/2010 01:36 PM

Canes and fibromyalgia?

ExpectoPatronum

I was wondering if any of you have fibromyalgia or anything similar have had any luck using canes. Lately my balance has been horrible, and I've found myself having to sit down or lean on sturdy objects around me. I don't like the idea of using a cane at 15, but then again, I don't like the idea of having fibromyalgia at 15 haha. Other then the dizziness, my legs also get tired from walking even short distances, and I have constant hip and knee pain. Have any of you had any luck with using a cane or anything similar, and do you think one might be a good or bad idea for me? I'm new here, and thank you for your time and any help or suggestions Smile

08/14/2010 01:56 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have multiple conditions that give me walking and balance issues my biggest battle is my MS but many Fibromites use canes for assistance. I had a very bad day and broke down and bought one. I actually carried it out to the car, it's been sitting collecting dust in a corner. I'm very stubborn! I should use it but don't. Tongue if you feel you need it and it will help then get one. Go to the store and try it out, they are a bit awkward at first but you will get used to it. They have designer canes at CVS or you can get a plain one and design it yourself. Wink

08/14/2010 02:01 PM
LockMan
LockManPosts: 812

I use a cane every day. It helps with balance, maintaining a smooth gait and keeping strain off the worse of my two legs. My right leg is real bad while the left isn't so bad. You just need to use the cane in the hand that is opposite your worst leg. I have the cane in the left hand and it works best. I did it wrong at first and I noticed the differance when I changed.

08/14/2010 02:13 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome Kaitlynn,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have fibro and other health issues as well. You are very young.

I have balance problems and have problems with my legs. I have a can and occasionally use it (on my very bad days and for shopping in little towns that have many blocks that is more walking that I usually do), however I am like Stacey and very stubborn about using my cane, but it you have severe problems and you feel you need a cane to walk, by all means you should do what is comfortable for you. Did your doctor give you a prescription for one? My insurance paid for one for me with a script from the doc. It will save you money if you can get a script from the doctor. (If that is a benefit with your insurance)

Again, welcome to our group. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Newbie Hugs~

Christine

08/14/2010 02:37 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Now Christine I'm curious as to what your using your "can" for??? Tongue

She's right many times insurance will cover them. I'm not only stubborn I'm also impatient lol. I just had to have that dust collector THAT day. The day I bought it my walking improved for quite awhile so it was actually worth my $20 lol. Maybe it was my lucky cane Wink

08/14/2010 03:31 PM
Nanawolf
Nanawolf  

I haven't bought one yet but my gait and balance are getting worse all the time. We were planning on going camping this weekend so I made me a beutiful walking stick from a branch of the pine tree in the back yard. I have a really hard time on uneaven ground.

08/14/2010 03:41 PM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

I'm 22(Thurs) and I have a cane. I figure theres no harm in having one so when I need it its there. It's actually pretty cool, I can fold it up and put it in my bag and when I need it take it out and it's not in the way.

But I use mine for muscle weakness in my legs. My balance gets off and I have an awkward gait. The cane helps me with support mainly. I can lean against it and at least have that stop me from bumping into things

08/14/2010 04:01 PM
ExpectoPatronum

Thank you all for replying Smile I think I will cave in and get a cane-probably one that folds up or is otherwise portable-and just use it on my worst days, or when I have to walk long distances. I'm sick of having to frequently find places to sit and rest because there's nothing to lean against.. I honestly don'ty know if my parents will be as supportive as you all though, because they like to try to keep life as normal as possible and downplay my health...which can be great or horrible. I at least am ready to put my pride to the side though Smile

08/14/2010 04:10 PM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

I still deal with the parents lol they just want to pretend nothings wrong especially when diagnosed young. If you have any problems just voice your concerns just like you did on here to us. Or tell them you're scared of falling

08/14/2010 04:17 PM
ExpectoPatronum

They do! Haha they don't like not being able to "fix you" so they try to act like nothing's wrong. And I'm going to have to, I guess...thank you Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved