MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/06/2008 07:21 AM

research on cause of FM

Cori

What Causes Fibromyalgia?

While the underlying cause or causes of Fibromyalgia still remain a mystery, new research findings continue to bring us closer to understanding the basic mechanisms of fibromyalgia. Most researchers agree that Fibromyalgia is a disorder of central processing with neuroendocrine/neurotransmitter dysregulation. The Fibromyalgia patient experiences pain amplification due to abnormal sensory processing in the central nervous system. An increasing number of scientific studies now show multiple physiological abnormalities in the Fibromyalgia patient, including: increased levels of substance P in the spinal cord, low levels of blood flow to the thalamus region of the brain, HPA axis hypofunction, low levels of serotonin and tryptophan and abnormalities in cytokine function.

Recent studies show that genetic factors may predispose individuals to a genetic susceptibility to Fibromyalgia. For some, the onset of Fibromyalgia is slow; however, in a large percentage of patients the onset is triggered by an illness or injury that causes trauma to the body. These events may act to incite an undetected physiological problem already present.

Exciting new research has also begun in the areas of brain imaging and neurosurgery. Ongoing research will test the hypothesis that Fibromyalgia is caused by an interpretative defect in the central nervous system that brings about abnormal pain perception. Medical researchers have just begun to untangle the truths about this life-altering disease.

I thought this might help some people to understand a little more about where research is going in regards to the cause of fibromyalgia. I found this on the National Fibromyalgia Association website.

10/06/2008 07:27 AM
Tootsiegirl

wow, thanks Cori, very interesting and informative...thanks for the heads up, hope your having a good day!

10/06/2008 08:17 AM
Cori

Today is going better I am back into the determination mode of finding out more about FM. It seems like there is allot of contradicting information out there. It's very frusterating sometimes.

10/06/2008 08:41 AM
wendylynn
wendylynn  

You Go, Girl!

I have been trying to take a break from figuring out the cause of FM. My chronic fatigue is so much associated with it.

I have been taking an antiviral for the past couple of months because my Epstein-Barr virus count is CRAZY high. I'll get retested in a couple of weeks to see if any good has resulted. Most studies show that it does little good, if any. But anything's worth a shot to me. I do not believe it would be the cause of my FM? but, I am sure it does not help.

The brain is such a beautiful thing, but mine and nervous system could use such a break. Treatment, treatments. I need some deep, decent sleep and more energy to my muscles and less to my nerves. The FM sure seems from the nerves, even areas that aren't sore or painful are just humming with electricity and buzzing.

Who knows, maybe it will be one of us, looking at a lot of literature and studies and comparing it with our experiences that finds or gets the ball rolling faster on finding a cause and cure.

I feel like conducting studies on myself. Like getting some heavy duty sedatives and almost coma-tize myself for a week or two so maybe my brain can 'reset'. With the FM, I feel like I miss almost 1 1/2 weeks every month anyway.

Something weird, since I began being bombarded with FM, I do not ever yawn. It's like a part of my brain doesn't know I am tired? Sounds goofy, but I've been trying to make myself yawn. Never happens.

10/06/2008 08:53 AM
Cori

That's strange about the yawning but come to think of it I don't think I really yawn anymore either. Weird??

I believe that the more we educate ourselves and others the more we can understand and make sense of things. Or at least maybe have a little more answers instead of questions. I do like the fact that they acknowledge that Fibro is a life altering disease. Finally someone gets it!!

10/06/2008 09:03 AM
Starr
Starr  

Interesting. I never thought about it until now, but I don't yawn either.

I am on a wonder drug that helps me sleep. It's called Trazadone. You might ask your doctor about it.

10/06/2008 09:28 AM
wendylynn
wendylynn  

I was wondering about the yawn thing. I am kinda glad to hear you guys say it, too. Maybe it means something that someone can make sense of.

10/06/2008 09:39 AM
sleepwalking
sleepwalking  

Yawn? What's that?

That is very interesting. I am so tired all the time, but come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I yawned.

I love comparing notes like this. This is how I found out about the fingernail problem (no half moons).

10/06/2008 09:41 AM
Starr
Starr  

Tell me about the fingernail problem please, sleepwalking.

10/06/2008 09:45 AM
wendylynn
wendylynn  

Yes, please tell about the fingernail problem.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved