MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/06/2010 03:58 PM

Expiration date on Epsom Salts??

Tabi
Tabi  

Do Epsom Salts have an expiration date? I've had the same ones for over 15 years (obviously I don't use them very much) but with all the talk about epsom salt baths I thought maybe I'd start getting into the habit?

08/06/2010 09:33 PM
shamarie6
shamarie6  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Wow, that's a long time! I don't suppose there's any harm in trying it. If you don't feel comfortable, you can get more at the groc store or walmart, or even dollar general & it's pretty cheap. Wink

08/06/2010 10:23 PM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
VIP Member

Can't believe someone has epsom salts as long as me! Mine are so old, they welded together from humidity over the years. LOL I just use it for a door stop now. Laughing

08/06/2010 10:48 PM
LockMan
LockManPosts: 812

Well, what would happen as they age? Like oregon said, they would fuse togather over time as they are basicly a type of salt. Salts are a stable chemical form. The result of an acid/base reaction. So as long as they haven't been exposed to something they would react to they should be fine.

08/06/2010 11:13 PM
puppymom2

Mine clump together sometimes and mine should be fresh. I used a body scrub at the end of a soak once and it turned the water opaque gray. That got me out of the bath quick.

Traci

Ps Lockman I have not seen you post lately, how are you?

08/07/2010 08:23 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Mine has a date on it of 11/15, was never opened until recently when my kids got attacked by horseflies and welted up. It is very old also so they must be good for awhile, it was kind of hard but my husband just smacked the box on a hard surface to loosen up the salts. It is pretty cheap, less than $2 so if you are unsure you should just grab another. Even if clumps do fall into the water though they dissolve so I wouldn't worry about using it. Wink

08/07/2010 09:25 AM
Tabi
Tabi  

Thanks guys... I think throwing it out and getting new ones is the way to go Smile. Thank goodness one of our treatments is cheap eh?? LOL

You guys are awesome.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved