MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/27/2010 07:22 AM

I survived my procedures yesterday.

mjcolenc
mjcolenc  

Had both colonoscopy and Endoscopy. Wasn't really totally out through procedure. Today my throat hurts so I have to gargle with salt water. Hurts worse today than the other days it's been hurting.

This is what the paper work said.

During the procedure we found the following:

1 polyp in the ascending colon (polypectomy) --- this is highlighted in green marker.

Melanosis in the whole colon ---- this is highlighted in green marker.

Internal Hemorrhoids

Normal mucosa in the whole duodenum

Normal mucosa in the whole stomach

Normal mucosa in the whole esophagus (dilation) --- this was highlighted in green marker.

Otherwise normal colonoscopy-egd to the second part of the duodenum and cecum.

Polyp sent off for biopsy. Should know results in 2 weeks.

So does this mean the stuff highlighted in green is only what they found or what?

07/27/2010 07:28 AM
PCG
PCG  

For what I gather, yes, the highlighted stuff is what is abnormal for them to find... but I had never had any of those procedures done, so I can't really say...

Hope you feel better soon!

Hugs

07/27/2010 07:39 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm glad it's over for you! Smile I had a biopsy done during my colonoscopy for something they noticed but it was thankfully clear never polyps though I do know a few people that have to have it done yearly to remove several polyps. I have internal hemroids which they said was causing my bleeding. He offered to remove them but I said no thanks I'll keep em. Wink

If you are unclear on anything you should call the office today now that you are more alert and they can break it down for you. I don't remember a report but my dr waited for me to wake up in recovery to go over his findings in my procedures before he left. I was loopy but somehow remembered most and was given scripts. I just called the next day to make sure I wasn't dreaming lol and he answered more questions. Wink

Good luck! Hugs Smile

07/27/2010 07:43 AM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
VIP Member

the green areas are what they want you to know about what they found that was abnormal and what was normalamong the things they were testing for. One polyp isn't bad, and are usually benign. I had 3 removed during mine and came back benign. They remove any at the time as long as they are there, since they can become malignant over time.

Not sure about the melanosis, but you will hear from your dr. with results, I'm sure. Did he talk to you after the procedure and explain any of it to you? Mine always does, and I appreciate it so much.

Sorry your throat is giving you fits, but should go away very quickly. Smile

Hugs, Karen

07/27/2010 07:56 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=melanosis

darker pigment of color another site said it can be caused by some meds.

Hope this helps some Wink

07/27/2010 08:14 AM
mjcolenc
mjcolenc  

Thanks everyone. As soon as I mentioned Fibro to the nurse who checked me in and stayed with me the whole time, immediately wrote the Fibro down on the sheet and asked what number of pain I was in at the moment. I told except for the butt, a 5. We then talked a lot about what I could do and what I couldn't do since I started. I mentioned about my hands and she said it sound like arthritis setting in and that my regular doctor should send me to a rheumatologist (sp) cause she said you don't want to loose the use of your hands.

07/27/2010 09:12 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

She actually said that??? Many Fibromites have complaints of their hands and feet hurting just like everything else in their body. I have severe arthritis in my hands among other areas but I haven't lost the use of my hands. How odd but that's a know it all nurse for ya, you are best to discuss it with your dr. Good luck!

07/27/2010 12:22 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

I have them yearly and my doc always comes in after the procedure to explain things...not to me of course cause I wouldn't remember lol but to my hubby. I've had cancerous polyps and my doc makes me stay until I'm with it when that happens....obviously it's never 100% until he gets biopsy results back but they do it so often, they can usually tell. In such a case, he wants me to be clear of what he found, I would hope your doc would do the same. As Stacey said, call the office and ask questions, tell them you were a little out of it and don't remember everything. Of course be prepared to hear that they have to wait for results.

I'm glad you made it through, sorry about your throat though....make sure you let us know when you hear something!

07/27/2010 05:39 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

Wow i have had both procedures separately I cant imagine one after the other... and i remember my throat hurting for a few days also I sucked on ricola cherry cough drops... Let us know what the doc says about the biopsy.... Internal hemmroids are so much fun ....NOT!....but glad you are doing well... Hugs hugs hugs... let us know when you hear something Smile

07/27/2010 05:57 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Here's hoping the polyp is benign Smile I had to wait for the doctor to come in which took FOREVER because the patient ahead of me had a heart attack (!) and was transported to the hospital. So they had an office meeting where I hope they told the support staff to keep their big mouths shut and not discuss the previous patient's heart attack in front of the next patient. I wasn't scared until then.

When he finally made his appearance, he said I didn't have any polyps but I do have diverticulits and should start avoiding snall nuts & seeds. Apparently a huge percentage of the population has diverticulits. He also said that since I have IBS I should be taking a fiber supplement everyday. It has REALLY helped my IBS. I don't need another until I'm 60.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved