MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/26/2008 08:49 AM

how to talk to your doctor to achieve his attn(page 2)

ellenann87
ellenann87  

Please check around for a therapist. There are many who work on a sliding scale. Check with your local epsicopal church as they have a geat program that works on a sliding scale. Ask someone you know who works at a hospital if there are any therapists who do probono work or donatle their time. Ask the therapist to give you the same rate he or she would give a medicare patient.Check with your county health department, there are many resouces available there and you dont have to be destitute to qualify. I found my therapist through an outreach program of our local Medical Center Hospital. It costs me nothing. It was very little paperwork. The benefit of therapy is worth the work of finding it. Good luck.

01/17/2009 05:58 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Another problem I have is I want to say "hey, just a second come back and talk to me for a minute." I was once told on another support group that the doctor is your employee and that helps me put him on my level so that I can be a little more aggressive when I talk to them.

03/30/2009 04:31 AM
tiggerkenwood

I have had fibromyalgia for several years and went undiagnosed for six years. I guess I am not the best at relating to doctors. I have been noticing lately that my fingers have been sort of twisting and turning in a direction away from my body. Also, they are very lumpy and distorted at the top joints. I think I may also have some type of arthritis, but I don't know how to approach my doctor. I am afraid she won't believe me. Previously, I stayed with the same doctor for those six years I went undiagnosed and pretty much got treated like crap. I was told by a nurse that I should stay with the same doctor in order to get a diagnosis. That was a big mistake. After I heard my doctor whining in the hallway very loudly to a nurse what a difficult patient I am, I finally switched to my sister-in-law's doctor. It took him less than a month to get me the correct diagnosis. I recently moved to Laramie, Wyoming and found out that the one doctor here who specializes in fibromyalgia and treats fibromyalgia patients is good friends with that doctor who treated me like crap. She went to school with him. She told me this and how excited she was to contact his office about my case. I told her they did not treat me for anything and I would rather they not be contacted at all regarding my medical situation. I asked her to please contact the doctor I had been seeing for a few months before I moved here. She looked offended. However, she has been o.k. so far by following up on the same medicines, but this makes me kind of reluctant to approach her with anything new.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I should approach her regarding the possible arthritis?

03/31/2009 03:14 PM
Ksdmjd
Ksdmjd  

Hi. One of the things I started talking to my doctor about was function. Did my pain inhibit the ability to function in my everyday life? For example: Doctor, I am having trouble taking a shower. When I take off my clothes, I need to sit down because it fatigues me to do this. Then I get so cold my body aches. By the time I get into the shower, I am bone tired. Then the simple actions of washing, conditioning my hair and washing my body have left me feeling worn out and in pain from the shoulders to my fingers. When I get out I again get so cold I hurt again. I get dressed and stumble to my bed to lie under the heated blanket for about 15 minutes before I can again function. I have to budget about 2 hours to complete this simple task. I KNOW this isn't normal.

(Describe your everyday struggle.) Doctors need to know how you are functioning.

03/31/2009 03:16 PM
Ksdmjd
Ksdmjd  

Tell your doctor you would like to get a RH test to rule out Rheumatoid arthritis. Most doctors are willing to rule out things for fibromyalgia patients.

04/01/2009 04:24 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

Great info!

As someone who has worked in doctor offices for several years you really hit it straight on. It will make your visit so much more productive when you are prepared It also lets the dotor know you are trying to work with them in managing your healthcare and that is important

04/12/2009 09:07 AM
SuziWeaver
SuziWeaver  

I should find a new doctor, last time I went in with a list of things to talk about, she said "I am the only one here today, so pick the most important thing on your list and I will deal with that. You can come in another time for the others." The only reason I like this place that they are open on sat and sun. Usually the only days I can go see them. And in is walk in only, no appointments needed. I have to go back in towards the end of April for my diabetes check-up.

04/12/2009 09:14 AM
ATinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Suzi, I guess in that situation it's maybe ok for that response? She didn't discount you completely, or ignore your questions.

Are you happy with her otherwise? Does she treat your pain adequately?

Next week I'm going to try going to an urgent care like that one. I'm a little nervous, because I think that some of them won't prescribe narcotics, and I'm on vicodin. I also take tramadol, and my original doctor said that some md's won't prescribe that combo.

Anyway, I'm almost out of my scripts, so I have to do something.

I'm curious to know if they adequately treat your pain.

ps: I have a beanie baby similar to your li'l eagle. I love eagles and any bird of pray.

04/12/2009 02:53 PM
SuziWeaver
SuziWeaver  

The clinic is ok, I get everything done for my diabetes ok. They are not an urgent care clinic, they are a regular doctors office. They do have ads in the clinic for Lyrica, I might ask about samples. The place I go will not prescribe narcotics. I got some Darvocet once and then less than 2 weeks later that person that gave them to me was not working there anymore. Not sure why she is not there anymore. I would like to get some more, I did not take them during the day only at night and it helped me sleep so good that I actually felt rested and didn't hurt so bad the next day. But I have not been able to get a refill for it. I am going to ask about it when I go in towards the end of the month.

I do have that beanie as well as about 650 more. And my supply of beanies keeps getting bigger. Rob buys them for me sometimes when he thinks I need a pick me up. LOL I got 4 beanies for Valentimes day.

Post edited by: SuziWeaver, at: 04/12/2009 14:54

Post edited by: SuziWeaver, at: 04/12/2009 14:59

04/13/2009 01:24 AM
tiggerkenwood

Hello. Thank you for your reply and information. However, I have already had a rhuematoid arthritis test which came out negative. That and the way I have been treated in the past is why I am worried about not being believed. I do have signs of arthritis like I said such as lumps on my knuckles and fingers that are starting to twist away from my body. I guess I just have to get over it and show her what is going on. I am lucky enough to have good health insurance. I can always find someone else if I need to.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved