MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/23/2008 05:57 PM

I got mad and swore at new doctor

sleepwalking
sleepwalking  

I am so ashamed. I finally lost my temper and swore at the new doctor I saw today and I can't quit crying.

I am so frustrated and at a loss of what to do. This is the 7th doctor I've been to in the last 2 years.

I need help. I can't even dress myself anymore it is just too painful.

She said "Oh, nobody gets disabled from FM. You just need to exercise more". Need I say more?

She wouldn't refill my Norco.....

I'll need to sign off and go finish crying. It won't take long. I'm getting used to this.

Post edited by: sleepwalking, at: 09/23/2008 20:17

09/23/2008 06:10 PM
mama2

I am sooo sorry you got treated that way. Yes you can get disable from fibro. I just started see a new dr who is trying to get me fuctioning again and she was not surprised at how bad I was. I fully believe that a person can get to where they can't go. I do hope you get to moving better and that you will find a dr that is willing to help find the answers instead of jerking you around. I hope you get better real soon. Very soft hugs.

Cindy

09/23/2008 06:14 PM
Barbkubacki

That is such BS. I have so much trouble dressing myself. I have trouble putting a blouse that you have to put your arm in and button. I have so much trouble getting my arms in. I have trouble putting socks on because of my knees. Obviously, she is another that thinks it is all in our heads. That just made so mad!!!

09/23/2008 06:15 PM
arretta
arretta  

Ok, so this is one doctor in your area since it was a new one do you think you could go to another one and find one that is more understanding and current about your limitations?

09/23/2008 06:32 PM
Cornbread
Cornbread  

Good for you. Maybe if more dr.s were sworn at, they'd get a collective clue. I say HUZZAH! No one should take that sort of cockamamy crap sitting down.

09/23/2008 07:21 PM
Wolfpack
Wolfpack  

Good for you. Sorry you lost another Dr., but remember Thomas Edison said upon his failures "Now I know 1,000 ways not to make a light bulb."

Hopefully it won't take that many, but I'd have exploded at her too, and probably be crying afterward all day. Keep crying and get it out. You'll feel better. Did you know there's actually stuff that comes out in tears that relieves stress? There is.

Hang in there.

Wolfpack

09/23/2008 08:16 PM
sleepwalking
sleepwalking  

Thanks you guys for all the support.

This doctors office has everything on computers. No chart or hard copies. So the doctor spends the whole time on the computer and that alone is extremely frustrating. It's like when someone won't shut off the cell phone or put down that computer game and just look at you for pete's sake.

I tried to talk to her about my limitations and she just said that nothing could be done for FM. I said that was bullxxxx and to do her research. FM is a set of symptoms; insomnia, IBS, headache, pain and that each can be treated individualy with some success. I told her that if nothing could be done then why was the government paying for all these clinical trials? She said that was just experimental?!?!

I couldn't believe she wouldn't refill meds that I've been on for almost a year. She said I would just have to go to a pain clinic. I told her I just spent 6 months in a pain clinic. Finally I just said this was a waste of my time and money and walked out. (I mean hobbled out)

She came out in the lobby and whispered that she was going to give me a number to a pain clinic. She whispered it like it was some sort of dirty secret. She wrote the number of a scrap of paper and slipped it to me. I thanked her and left.

I hope she spends some time thinking about this and actually does some research. I can't believe how closed-minded doctors are when it comes to FM. I live in the Silicon Valley, the land of technology, why am I having so much trouble finding a doctor that believes in FM?

Am I going to go through withdrawels if I run out of the Vicodin? Sad

10/02/2008 01:16 PM
FLFibroMom
FLFibroMom  

I know how you feel. It is perfectly normal for us as fibro sufferers to feel isolated as if no one cares about us or to listen to us. I started at one rheumy who believed i had rheumatoid arthritis until he couldn't find anything in my blood despite the fact i could hardly get up and down out of a chair. He lost interest and told me to come back when i have swelling in about 2 months. i was in tears. i switched to this new rheumy and she is so patient and understanding. she took the time out until she reached a diagnosis of fibro even though i am in pain day in and day out, it really helps to have a doctor who is caring and educated on my illness and knows how debilitating this condition can be. When I am able to get up in the morning and take a shower, I feel that is a victory. When I am able to dress myself without my husband assistance, that is another victory. We have to take the victories as we get them day by day. Hang in there!

Post edited by: FLFibroMom, at: 10/02/2008 13:18

10/02/2008 07:45 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

Oh my sleepwalking.... I don't know you very well, but you've been in this forum for quite some time, and I just can't imagine you really saying too much out of line. So, I doubt that you sounded as bad as you think you did. So, please don't feel ashamed of yourself.

Now, on the other side of this, I'm sure they've heard worse AND you have every right to vent your frustrations, especially when in pain. And I do hope this good doctor realized that they need to research some more about this horrible debilitating (sp?) disorder.

Hang in there, and keep looking for a good doctor. They are out there. Just sometimes really hard to find.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved