MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/05/2010 10:22 AM

nighttime leg pain OF DOOM

kirabelle

I haven't posted here much, just lurked, but I have a problem I could surely use some outside perspective on. Also, when venting about said issue to non-Fibromites, someone compared FMS to Hysteria, and I'm trying not to send flames in their direction. REALLY, person?

Anyway, for the last two weeks, an issue with my legs has decided to set up camp and say hello around 2am.

I get this deep ache. Like, ache that never goes away, that is like something dull is being dragged along my muscles, primarily in my thighs, and it's so bad, I sometimes bite my arms to distract myself. And I take everything in my medication arsenal -- more naproxen, skelaxen, some homeopathic quinine, sleep aides....

Nothing seems to help short of someone knocking me out.

It seems staying still makes it worse, and moving alleviates it a bit. I've tried deep knee bends, but since I have issues with my knees (I can't remember the term, but knee bends aren't encouraged) I can only do a few. I feel like a ghost walking around my house.

This pain is HORRIBLE. I can't escape, can't get away, can't sleep. Does ANYONE have any ideas? Something?

07/05/2010 11:52 AM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

lurking is fine but glad to see you posting, wish it cold be about something other than pain but since that's what takes over most of our lives that's what we talk abot huh? I get the same type pain and it only comes at night... weird, well anyway I try putting on sweat pants and covering up with a comforter to get my legs warmer than the rest of me. Sometimes I have to do the sweat pants thing and put on a robe and walk around til they warm up. If you have one you could try a heating blanket or heating pad. Hope this helps and am wishing you sweet dreams.

07/05/2010 11:57 AM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Welcome, glad you decided to join us. Make yourself right at home, you will love it here. Everyone is friendly and extremely helpful.

I have something kind of similar but mine is worse during the day and I need a cane to walk. Mine also feel very heavy like there is cement attached to them. Have you spoken to your doctor and or let him know how bad it's gotten? Hope you post more often, I look forward to getting to know you Smile

07/06/2010 12:14 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi, Kirabelle, welcome! Glad to have you with us! Do you sleep on your side? Sometimes when we relax into deep sleep, which is an essential sleep stage where our muscles can repair themselves, our hips and shoulders compress against a too-hard bed and we wake up from the pain. That could cause leg pain, too.

My solution (besides a sleep med) was to get a memory foam mattress pad. (You may have heard me say this before.) Mine is 3" thick, which seems just about right, and it keeps my hips from pressing into the harder mattress. They're very soft. On occasional mornings, my hips still ache a little bit, so I sleep on my back as much as possible. That could be something you could try first, if you don't already. I couldn't sleep that way at first, so I'd lie there as long as I could before turning over, and it didn't take long before I was sleeping on my back with no trouble. I hope this helps you a little - or a lot...let us know if you try it and if it works!

07/06/2010 12:28 PM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

I notice that my legs start to ache like that at night, and for me its attributed to them starting to fall asleep. Everytime something starts to fall asleep I get these aches that hurt so bad I got to move. I have to rub the area to get the circulation flowing again before I start to feel better.

The one I get in my legs though I notice is from my big toe slipping out of place. It radiates up my calves to my thighs and OMG it hurts so bad I am in tears some days. Once I get my toes back to there usual uncramped positions the ache slowly dies away.

Hope you find out a solution some how Smile

Alicia

07/06/2010 02:17 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

It sounds awful! I get pains in my legs and arms on occasion but nothing like that. My RLS usually hits in the evening when I'm over-tired, but once I go to bed, I'm pretty comfortable.

Sorry you're in so much pain. About all I can think of non-med wise is to maybe take a warm epsom salt bath before bed.

I used to get cramps in my legs and out of desperation I did the folk cure of putting a bar of soap under my bottom sheet. I'd don't know if it's a placebo effect or what, but it's worked for me.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved