MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/22/2010 10:52 AM

Pain in arm, fingers, wrists & shoulders

Derlanda

Hi, I have pain in all of the above, all of the time. (As well as a lot of leg, buttock, lower back as well)The pain in my arm from my fingers to my shoulders have cause so much pain that if I type for more than a 1/2 hour a day, I can't move it. I can't twist off a bottle cap or jar top. Is this usual with fibro (which I have been diagnosed with) or in your experiences is there a secondary? I go in constantly to my Dr, but no x-rays have been done; however I am waiting on a ct scan, but that is not until Sept. My body feels like I'm having a widespread "heart" burn. It's so hard to explain the pain, don't you find? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Derlanda

06/22/2010 11:07 AM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
VIP Member

Fibro can cause all the above symptoms, but it's good that you are scheduled for a ct scan. Too bad it isn't until Sept. What kind of dr. is treating you? He/she should have done tests to rule out RA, Lupus, MS among other conditions. A rheumatologist surely would have.

I have trouble opening bottles and jars, the hubs usually does it for me. It's part FMS and part osteo-arthritis. Are you taking anti-inflammatories? Helps with the inflammation in the system for many.

Hope you get some relief soon. Hugs, Karen

06/22/2010 01:04 PM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

Yeah I have a lot of the same issues, but with me I have RA as well so a lot of it is related to it. I agree you should go see a rheumi, but don't let negative test results be your ultimate agreement that fibro is all you have. I get lots of "negative" labs but my MRI's, CT's, and X-Rays all tell a different story.

I find that my fibro is more achey related and the pains associated with it are from me trying to force exausted muscles to function when they can't. My arthritis is a lot more invasive pain that effects me opening anything, walking, standning, sleeping or pretty much anything. Its just pain that is there regarless of me trying to do something and it hurts worse. But thats just me analyzing myself.

Definatly get checked though, all those are FMS symptoms definatley but its never a bad thing to rule out everything else just in case. Plus sounds like you could use some meds to help out too, Hope you feel better Smile

Alicia

06/22/2010 01:08 PM
Derlanda

Hi Karen, I see a gp, but I have seen a rheumatologist and neurologist. My blood work that was just done so that my Dr could refer me to a fibromyalgia clinic showed some abnormalities, so I have been referred to a 2nd rheumatologist. I am taking meloxicam, lyrica, amatriptaline, tramacet and ciprelex. (my spelling is probably off) I am in Canada so our health care is different and sometimes the wait times can be long, but I don't complain, because everything is paid for. If it was life threatening, I don't think that it would be that long of a wait. Fortunately I haven't had to find out. How do they test for osteo-arthritis? I had an aunt who suffered from lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia and probably more. It was so sad to see her suffer throughout life and now I'm scared that I'm on the same path. Thanks for your words!

06/22/2010 01:13 PM
Derlanda

Hi Alisa, missed your post when I was replying back to Karen. I am thinking that I do have some for of arthritis as well because I have a lot of pain in my wrists and fingers. I'm so glad that I found this circle of friends who know what I'm going through and have given me support and suggestions. Thanks so much!!!

06/22/2010 01:14 PM
Derlanda

Oh, I'm sorry for the misspelling of your name Alicia! Foggy brained...

06/22/2010 01:28 PM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

Awwww honey, I am so very sorry for you. I frequently get the fingers hand stuff...back of my arms, if i ride my trike too long my butt and thighs....and shoulders and neck, but the shoulder neck things could be due to the bad arthritis I have....so who's to say.

My fingers also spasm, which it really makes it hard to make jewelry and I have given up writing all together.

It is hard to individualize exactly where the pain is because sometimes it is referred, and because joint pain can mimic muscle pain.

it is a difficult condition to even describe to your non afflicted

doctor.

Some of us are lucky in that our Rheumy also has fibro, and that helps alot.

Hope you can get help for the hand thing....otherwise things can get dicey. Do you work?

I am so sorry for you

hugs

Natty

06/22/2010 01:40 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm so sorry you are suffering so bad. It could be Fibro related but you def want to make sure it's not another underlying condition rather than let them throw it under the Fibro umbrella. I have the same problems as well, I do have multiple conditions and sometimes don't know where my symptoms are coming from lol lately my hands, fingers, wrists, arms and shoulders have been worse than ever so this thread caught my attention. I've been bed bound from other issues so I've been using my phone to post out of boredom and it's just exaserbating it more. Ah well lol boredoms a killer. Tongue I do hope your drs will run some tests and give you some meds to hopefully give you some relief from your pain. Best of luck my friend! Hugs, Stacey Wink

06/23/2010 07:50 AM
Derlanda

Thanks once again everyone for helping me learn even more about fibro and the effects. It's just not in my head! I will continue to get testing done. To answer Natty's question, yes I am employeed, but have not been working. I can only manage to be on the computer for about 10 min at a time about 3 times a day. It is causing hardship as medical insurance is not covering, so I do not have any income. Today I'm meeting with a lawyer, so hopefully things will look up. Hugs back to all! Derlanda

06/23/2010 08:28 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

Derlanda,

you need a mri or cat scan of your neck..I have the same problem yet dont have answers..does the pain go th a finger?

my doc tells me its not fibro related because it is 24/7 for two years now...

I am sorry your dealing with this good luck

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved