MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/21/2010 12:39 PM

Tramadol?

RoseofSharon
RoseofSharon  

Doc just put me on Tramadol. Haven't noticed a change in the pain. Has it worked for any of you guys? Did it take some time to start working? I just feel a bit fuzzy but the pain is still there. Just curious!

Rose

06/21/2010 12:43 PM
RedGirl

Tramadol gives me a major headache if I don't take Tylenol with it. And no, it didn't work very well for me at all.

Red

06/21/2010 12:49 PM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
VIP Member

Same for me, and my rx says take with Tylenol. I also didn't get much relief, and am dopy headed the whole next day, but as time is going on, I am less drowsy and can take a whole dose , which helps the pain more. Ask your dr. about taking a smaller dose and working your way up, maybe that will work for you too. best of luck and hope you feel better very soon. Smile

06/21/2010 01:00 PM
debbie1955
debbie1955  

I've been on it for about 5 weeks. It did take 6-8 days before I noticed much, but then again I take Vicodin and Rx strength Motrin, too. I spread them out through the day so I don't get so much tylenol from the Vicodin. I noticed it helped with the nerve pain the most. Vicodin helped with other pains but not the nerve pain. Tramdol helps me with the skin hurting, my fingernails hurting, seams in clothes driving me nuts, head hurts to brush my hair, sun isn't as bad if it shines on my skin, etc.

However, that is what it is doing for me. Maybe you a little different. I do notice each day it is still helping a little bit more. Like the others have said maybe you will need to start out at a lower dosage and then slowly go up. Who knows?

Gentle hugs,

Debbie

06/21/2010 01:52 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I normally take Percocet for pain but I actually like Tramadol. It's a mellower pain reliever but worked ok for a non narcotic in dulling the pain. Unfortunately I found out I cannot take them with my Lithium, there are several meds you can't take it with because it can increase Seratonin causing Seratonin Syndrome and can even be fatal. I at first didn't know the seriousness of it and still took it now and then but when I read about it I stopped immediately. My meds interaction can be fatal whoa nelly lol. It stinks because I liked the backup. Good luck I hope they work for you. Wink

06/21/2010 02:28 PM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

I have been on Tramadol for a few years now. There are 2 forms of it Ultrecet and Ultram (generic names) one is combined with tylenol and the other isn't. My doctor warned me not to take a lot of tylenol with it due to long term adverse effects on the body. Its a non-narcotic that is digested like the narcotic Codiene and is supposed to work on pain in a similar fashion to Codiene without all the side effects of a narcotic.

I personally love Tramadol and at first wasn't sure about it. I was told it could take up to 3 weeks before seeing the full effects. It builds up in your system over time so they can keep you on a smaller daily dose later (thats how I did it anyway). I tried to get off of it once cause I felt better and didn't think I was needing it anymore. That went about a week and a half then I was calling up the doc saying I made a mistake Smile I still take Vicoden or Percocet to help with pain as well, but for a daily pain management it helps me so much and is the primary reason I am able to still work right now.

Good luck and I hope it helps you as much as it has me!

Alicia

06/21/2010 02:32 PM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

Oh yeah, I didn't notice much any help untill week number 2. It wasn't much at first but by the third week, I was able to see a difference in the pain. Its a bummer it can take so long though.

Alicia

06/21/2010 02:39 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

It took you two weeks? I noticed it the first pill just like any other pain med, they aren't like preventative meds that you have to take daily. I took them for several years for breakthrough pain when it was too soon to take a Percocet. It's such a shame because I still have a ton those are one pain med drs don't mind giving you a ton of lol. They also come in extend release now. My husband gets them for breakthrough pain but they don't really do as much for him.

06/21/2010 03:21 PM
RoseofSharon
RoseofSharon  

Thanks guys! I didn't realize you'd have to be on them for a while to experience relief. My doc made it seem like it would be something I'd feel right away. I've been on vicodin for about 4 years so changing is a bit of a shock to my body. I am sure I've become addicted to it since I've been on it daily and it's helped me function through some of the hardest times. But it was just dulling the pain after a while. I mean I was a mess last week. I am just nervous to be on something new when I've been on the other stuff for so long. I have noticed that it doesn't really upset my stomach though. I do like that change!

06/21/2010 03:24 PM
RoseofSharon
RoseofSharon  

Another thing - the notes on the prescription tell me not to mix it with muscle relaxers but what do I do about the muscle spasms?? I have pain and muscle spasms going on at the same time!! Any thoughts on how to get around that??

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved