MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/14/2010 12:45 PM

Burning, Prickles, Tingles, and Numbing

kkh1986
kkh1986  

Has anyone experienced super skin sensitivity, like burning sensations, pin prickles, tingles, and numbing sensations? I have experienced all of these recently and it's getting increasingly hard to deal with. It makes it hard to sleep, wear clothes, sit for any length of time, etc. Just wondering if I am alone in this...

~KK~

06/14/2010 12:54 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

No, you're not alone. It's called allodyna (or something like that) and it's basically nerve pain. I get it in my hands and feet when I'm flaring at my worst. In my case Lyrica made it worse but Neurontin has helped a lot at keeping it bearable. I still don't like to have my hands touched and have found that wearing my nightshirts inside out helps a lot because the seams always hurt.

Someone once posted that when she went to see a rheumatologist, he peeked down the back of her shirt and said that all his fibro patients cut the tags out of their clothes.

06/14/2010 12:56 PM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

Nope not alone. Story of my life having sensitive skin. If my husband tries to lightly touch my arm I get a pin prickle sensation that hurts and itches at the same time. I personally get a lot of hives with all of those symptoms, except for the numbing. Do you get hives with all that too?

The numbing sensation I have noticed is related to how I postition my body. Like sitting down for awhile my skin around my hips go numb and right by my knees. Or typing my wrists go numb. I think the circulation is what is affected so I have to move constantly.

So yeah I understand the frustration you have and Im sorry your having a hard time. See if you get hives or anything else co-relates to your symptoms cause there may be a treatment to help your symptoms.

06/14/2010 12:59 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Nope you're not alone, sadly I have these spots all over my body. My left but cheek is constantly numb or tingling, my feet will often feel like they are just waking up, ya know that pin prick feeling you get, well it feels like the pins are on fire. I'm not sure if this fibro since you're the first person with fibro that has the same sensations that I have talked to. Ermm Do yours happen all over?

06/14/2010 01:27 PM
lilcee
lilcee  

I've been getting that recently. My legs feel like they are on fire and they ache and my feet feel tingly. My hips hurt too. Sometimes when my husband rubs my back it will turn red and itch.

06/14/2010 01:30 PM
mollymay

I have several parts of my body, particularly in my hands and legs that are always numb, or will go numb when i sleep or let my arms rest for too long. the longer im immobile the more numb i get. and it is always just lovely finding the right way to get the feeling back and the dang prickles to go away.

06/14/2010 01:39 PM
peasha
peasha  
VIP Member

I have noticed that having the right type of pillows helps me to limit those awful sensations when I sleep. I have to have a pillow between my knees or my hips will go numb in a matter of minutes. Also stretching and just rubbing to help the circulation to the affected areas helps me. I take hydroxizine to help with the skin irritation too. When ever I get prickles or itchy sensations I take i and it and it makes it bearable or gets rid of it completely.

06/15/2010 09:15 AM
kkh1986
kkh1986  

I tried sleeping with a pillow between my legs, which proved to be both helpful and immensely frustrating. I had difficulty keeping the pillow where it needed to be to be helpful, but when it was where it was supposed to be, it helped. Stretching helps, and hurts. And making myself walk to dispel the tingles does some good. I'm a little worried about my upcoming trip back east, as I will be forced to sit for loooong periods of times during flights and waiting time. Ugh, I hate travelling.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

~KK~

06/15/2010 03:19 PM
bhappy2
bhappy2  

Yes & I'm glad to know, that's it not just me. My doctor said it was normal, for some with fibro. I have clothes, for when I go out of the house and look normal. Otherwise, I wear big elastic pants, XL thin, t- shirt & thick socks, I wear at home. As soon as I come in the house, I immediately change. Can't stand clothes too tight! Thick socks help my feet. The burning sensation is only when, I'm really bad. The tingling & numbness are usually down right arm & leg. It's when my neck gets tense or have been on computer too long. I have cervical spondylossis & carpel tunnel. We all have additional problems & that's why everyone with fibro is different!

Heat, muscle relaxers & trying to avoid stress, helps the most. When stressful situations come up, I hurt all over & can't move. It's like all the things you talked about, hit all at once!

Hope this helps,

bhappy2

06/15/2010 05:32 PM
puppymom2

Oh yes, you are in good company. I always have at least a bit of tingling or numbness but If I am having a flare it is horrible. I can't stand to touch anything or even wash my hands without horrible pain. Cymbalta has helped these symptoms a ton and stress makes it worse.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved