MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/20/2010 11:27 AM

Chest pain

RedGirl

I know chest pain has been discussed numerous times but wanted to ask anyway since I don't have time to search everything out right now. I believe I'm in a major flare. It started some time ago and just seems to be getting worse. Yesterday I was having "electric" zaps down my right arm from my shoulder all the way to my fingertips. Also yesterday I was having pain in my chest, sometimes in the middle between my breasts, and sometimes what feels to be under my left breast. It is not a crushing type of pain and I don't think it has to do with my heart but I'm a little bit worried. I've discussed this with my NP in the past and she tells me this kind of pain has to do with my fibro and I believe her. I'm just worried and wanted to know how the rest of you feel fibro-related chest pain. I realize everyone is different but am curious. I think I'm becoming more and more so that I trust all of you more than I trust the medical establishment.

Thanks everybody!

Hugs to all of you!

Red Smile Sad

05/20/2010 04:11 PM
keepsmiling74

Hi Red, I have the VERY same thing. I've had breathing tests, heart tests, you name it. Guess what, normal. Mine comes and goes, and my flares differ from one to the next. I started a bad flare in February after my rabbit died suddenly, then we found out my grandma has cancer, then I had to have some scary tests for other stuff. That flare settled in my legs & hips, hurt for MONTHS, plus I had major anxiety/insomnia/racing heart/IBS. That all finally calmed down for a month or so, and now we've had a rollercoaster with my grandmother the last week or so. Now it's come in the form of chest/shoulder/rib pain AGAIN with the anxiety symptoms and such. I get the weird chest pains - mid chest/ribs/shoulders/breasts. I've been told everything's normal and it's fibro. Who knows. I will say pain meds seem to help it though...so it must be...still unnerving.

Hope you feel better soon!

L.

05/20/2010 04:18 PM
mamajo58
mamajo58  

I too have chest pain which has been diagnosed as anxiety...after having a stress test one year and ending up in the chest pain unit overnight a couple of years ago. So..it could be fibro or anxiety, but you should always have your heart issues checked out by a professional!

05/20/2010 04:31 PM
LockMan
LockManPosts: 812

Try one of the acid reflux blockers. That's what cured mine. As long as I take it once a day I don't get the pains.

05/20/2010 05:18 PM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

I too have chest pain, but mine has been diagnosed costocondritis..inflamation of the cartlidge that joins your ribs to your rib cage. My rheumi put me on prednisone to help it hoping that it would go away, but it hasn't so she is trying to ween me off the prednisone and substitute it with a med that they use for gout..its an inflamition med as well. But my chest pain is back..but less severe.

I see her next week to discuss everything....im just hoping there is an alternative to the big needle of steriod in the chest she talked about as a last option..ouch!.

05/20/2010 05:41 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Red,

I have fibro, lupus, costochondritis, asthma,gerd, and on and on. Lots of chronic illnesses. I thought that the pain was either fibro, asthma, or costochondritis. For quite a few years I thought that. The doc made me go for stress tests, negative. This past December I had that same pain in my chest (middle) again and a pain down my left arm. I had a new heart scan and the doc called me right away and told me that I was going in for open heart surgery. PLEASE DON'T EVER FOOL AROUND WITH CHEST PAIN. INSIST ON A NEW HEART SCAN OR A CATHERIZATION. BOTH MY HUSBAND AND OUR DOC HAD BLOCKAGES THAT NEVER EVER SHOWED UP ON EITHER THE SCAN OR CARDIAC CATHERIZATION. I AM GOING BACK IN ON SUNDAY. I MAY NEED MORE SURGERY. PLEASE ALWAYS BE OVER CAUTIOUS. DON'T BE A NUMBER.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE PM ME.

Hugs~

Christine

05/21/2010 09:25 AM
RedGirl

Thanks everybody.

Lockman -- I am supposed to take one or two Prilosec a day. Yes, I can take two Prilosec a day. And it has been suggested that some of my chest pain can be from acid reflux. For a time I was having these weird adrenaline like surges that I felt in my stomach. Very difficult to explain but it felt like that "fight or flight" sensation I get when I am scared s***less. But when I talked to my NP about it, she asked whether I was taking the Prilosec every day. I 'fessed up and told her no. She told me to take it every day and that should fix that problem and it did.

I kind of worry about the chest pains because my dad has coronary artery disease. He was diagnosed when he was about my age. But I don't have the crushing type pain he describes or the "doomed" feeling he describes. What I have is weird random pains here and there. But I still worry. I guess that's why I was looking for reassurance that I wasn't having anything heart disease related. My blood work is always okay -- cholesterol and triglyceride levels, etc. Guess I'll give it a wait and see even though I know I should probably push harder to get it checked out further. I gotta say I get sick and tired of tests, procedures, doctor visits, etc.

Red

05/21/2010 09:39 AM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

Talk to your doctor about your fears. If your doctor thinks there is anything to worry about he/she will do a workup, if not he/she should explain why you shouldn't be afraid.

05/21/2010 05:16 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Red,

As Nitalynn said, talk with your dr. re: chest pains as it is better to be safe than sorry.

I (if you don t mind) will tell you my little chest pain episodes last Fall and you might make a decision based on my experience.

In early August and late September, I had to episodes with severe chest pain, nausea, chills and weakness. (The first time I was in the kitchen fixed evening meal and the second time I was driving home from my daughters' late afternoon.)

In August, I had to stop what I was doing and sit down for a bit until it passed but then I was cold and weak the rest of the evening. I was fine the next day ~~~ as if nothing happened.

Six weeks later, I had been to daughters' for a bridal shower and very relaxing day. About 1/2 way home, I felt the pain (starts in left shoulder area and radiates across under left breast) and I had shortness of breath for a bit.

I pulled off in a roadside park and sat on a bench for about 20 minutes and it passed.

The remainder of the evening, I was nauseated, cold and weak ~~~

When I told PCP/Rhuemy what had been happening, the ordered a stress test and blood tests re: heart strain. Tho' the tests themselves about did me in , I did just fine and nothing showed up but I am now much more relieved to know that my heart area is okay.

The cardiologist that read my tests told PCP (and noted in records) that it most definitely is a part of Fibro .

Marilyn

05/21/2010 07:16 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

mychest pains are also fibro related... flexril helps my chest pains... and I have seen a cardioligist and he said My heart will live to its 80 lol... not sure i will but my heart will Smile

Always good to get it checked out Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved