MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/18/2007 12:52 PM

Sleep

ggirl
ggirl  

Does everyone else have trouble sleeping? And if so, have you found anything that works for you? I've had several sleep studies done, each one came back with restless sleep. I don't go into stage 3 or 4 sleep. Stage 4 is the sleep we need to restore our bodies. Even though they say what's wrong, they won't say what to do about it. Sad I'm tired of my husband saying that if I would stay in bed all night, I would feel better. I've told him that just laying there won't help and sometimes I hurt too much to keep laying there. Any help anyone can give I will appreciate. Oh, and I do take sleeping meds, they put me to sleep, but not for more than a couple of hours, and not GOOD sleep even then. (I did take the sleeping pill before laying down for the sleep study the last two times). I've been on Ambien, Ambien CR, and Halcion. They all work about the same. The only difference is I don't have the amneisia with the Halcion. That's what I take now.

11/18/2007 12:59 PM
lupusdiva
lupusdiva  

Hi, yes I have crazy insomnia. I have not slept for more than 4 hours a night for almost a year. Nothing works for me. I am on a new 'cocktail"

and it sort of works I am not really sure that it's safe though. It is always far worse during that time of the month, which is every 2 weeks at this point. Have you tried xanax? I hope you find something that works. If you do let me know :~)

-Jen

11/18/2007 01:03 PM
kychick
kychick  

I have had really good luck with Elavil. I also take temazepam with the Elavil 100mg.The Elavil was prescribed to me way before the fibro when I first started have severe neck pain. My doctor at that time said it would help me get to the stage of sleep that was restorative and stay there.And every doctor I've been to has agreed.t works for me.I had a shrink try to put me on 150mg of Elavil and i like to never got woke up that day.You just have to see what dose works for you. I also have my husband saying the same thing. He just gets aggrivated because I sleep on the couch instead of the bed. He is one of those people that has to lay right on you when he sleeps,and of course that's painful for me,plus with his tossing and turning I can't get any sleep when I'm in the bed with him,and then the next day I'm so tired I can hardly function.

11/18/2007 01:41 PM
lupusdiva
lupusdiva  

LOL, my husband also gets very frustrated. He is not a touchy type of person it's more of a not sticking to the routine thing for him. My illnesses have really isolated me from the people around me,it's like my husband and I live two different lives, my illnesses make him angry and upset.I have tried elavil buy it didn't help. I have never tried temazepam what is that? I am caught in a vicious circle I'm afraid. I need things to help me sleep at night and in the morning I need things to wake me up and keep me going. As a result I can't sleep and the cycle perpetuates.

11/18/2007 03:10 PM
tired2Death
tired2Death  

I have problems with sleep myself. I have not had a sleep study, but I know I am not getting the stage 4 sleep. I toss and turn, kick (due to the pain), and I am up and down most nights.

I have tried ambien, but it doesn't work. I take 2 benadryls every night and I sleep for a little while. Maybe someone will have an answer. I want to know myself!

11/18/2007 06:12 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

Have you actually followed with a dr who specializes in sleep disturbances. A lot of times a family dr maynot know how to interpet the results of the sleep study. most Dr's that specialize are pulmonary dr's. Most likely that is the type of dr. that actually interpeted your studies. There are many options out there from CPAP machines to surgeries to correct problems. If you haven't seen a sleep dr. I urger you to find one. ask your pcp to refer you.

11/18/2007 06:54 PM
Wayney
Wayney  

I take Zanaflex at night mainly for muscle relaxation but it helps get me to sleep and takes a lot of the pain out of sleeping. My main pain at night was spasms. Also since starting Provigil during the day to keep me awake and ease my fatigue (definitely keeps me awake, only slightly eases the fatigue) my nighttime sleep has been so much better.

11/19/2007 12:28 AM
jessi1971
jessi1971  

My doctor wont give me anything for sleep. He told me to take melatonin but does nothing for me, i have to wind up taking tyelnol pms, which i know arent good for you. And for pain all i get are vicodin and etodolac for imflamation, which really dont help me either. I dont know what to do.

11/19/2007 02:42 AM
ggirl
ggirl  

Jessi1971, It sounds like you need to find yourself a new doctor. Melatonin may work for people who have problems sleeping occationally, but not people like us.

Wayne, The thing that my zanaflex works best on my all over pain. It doesn't help me sleep, or help my muscle spasms.

Kychick, Elavil is an antidepressant as far as I know. Also causes weight gain. I've gained enough from when I was on the methadone. Methadone works great for sleeping, but then I can't stay awake during the day. Providial didn't help me with that.

Lupusdiva, I've been on xanax before. I was on it for years. That was before my FM. I had it for panic attacks. I would keep needed more and more until after 12 years of it, I ended up in ICU, in a coma, then a mental hospital. No, I stay away from that. When I first started taking it, they thought it wasn't addicting. They found out they were very wrong.

11/19/2007 05:20 AM
Wayney
Wayney  

Jessi1971,

Please be careful taking addition products containing Tylenol with the Vicodin. Make sure the total amount of Tylenol/APAP/Acetaminophen you consume in ALL products combined is less than 4000 mg per day. If you only need the sleep help and not the pain reliever help of Tylenol PM switch to Benadryl. That's the sleep ingredient in Tylenol PM. Take one adult dose of 25 mg per Tylenol PM you'd take. So if you take 2 Tylenol PMs, just take 2 Benadryl. That's if you're not needing the pain relief as well.

I caution this because studies show that people tend to forget about the Tylenol that is in all kinds of products as well as their Vicodin and they can end up taking too much Tylenol and causing liver problems. I know I'm only getting 2000 mg total of Tylenol in my Vicodin daily and at that dose my NP wants me to be very cautious about taking other products with Tylenol and I have never had weird liver function tests or anything to scream risk. Other than my other med use.

But ggirl is right, sounds like you need a different doc. IF you've told your doc that those meds aren't helping, and they've not addressed that concern...then they aren't listening or don't care. And that's when a switch is needed.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved