MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/16/2010 08:16 PM

Fibromyalgia Medications

KJ71

I was diagnosed about a year ago. I have been on lyrica since then. I don't feel it is working for me. I am taking 200mg a day. I do not want pain medication. i would like something to block the nerve pain. I will be making an appointment to go back in to see what we can do. Any suggestions? I have tried cymbalta but it made me sick to my stomach. Thank you

05/16/2010 09:40 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I couldn't tolerate Lyrica, after about 6 weeks it made my hands & feet swell & made the pain worse. So my doc switched me to Cymbalta which I've never had any problems with.

I lost my insurance and my doc switched me to Celexa (citalprom) which I could get at Walmart for $4. It worked nearly as well as the Cymbalta and again I had no side effects from it.

I finally got the VA to supply me with Cymbalta, but it was a hard fight and I was flaring pretty bad by the time I got it. The nerve pain was back so my doc put me on Neurontin (gabapentin). It's only a couple of molecules different from Lyrica, but I haven't had any bad side effects in the 4 months or so I've been on it.

I also take flexeril for muscle spasms, klonopin for anxiety and meloxicam (Mobic) for osteo arthritis. I ran out for about 5 days and discovered that it did help with the muscle pain.

05/17/2010 05:46 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello KJ,

Welcome to our group ~~ Smile

I seem to be one of the few that can tolerate Lyrica (I ve been taking it for 3 years now). Sorry you weren t able to continue it.

Just last month, my PCP added Cymbalta and it has improved my exhaustion as well as energy levels to a noticable degree .

Finding the right combination of meds for our pain requires cooperation between patient and dr. as well as good communication in being able to get the point thru to the dr. as to what helps and doesn t help us as well as the side effects for some but not others.

I wish you luck in finding that combination .

Glad you re here ~~~ Smile

Marilyn

05/17/2010 06:02 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

ask your doc to increasing the dose you have of lyrica i had to go from 150 a day to 300 mg a day and that sseems to be the majic number of the moment.. I have plenty of romm to still increase on lyrica if needed I also take flexril at bedtime to relax the muscles....

good luck let us know what the doc says Smile

05/20/2010 07:02 PM
KJ71

I do not know if I will be able to take 300mg during the day. I am still trying to work doing home health care.Sometimes the lyrica makes me really tired and I dont feel safe driving...well with all those texting drivers who does lol. Thank you all for your support & I will post again as soon as I find out anything from the doctor.

05/21/2010 12:30 PM
RedGirl

I found that higher doses of Lyrica cause me to retain fluid much more which increases my pain. I think we all have to find out "magic number" with Lyrica. It can be a difficult balancing act with this medication.

Good luck,

Red

05/21/2010 01:26 PM
KJ71

Thank you all for the information. I talked to my doctor today & he put me on neurontin.I will be starting at 900mg a day. I really hope this one will work Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved