MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/14/2007 08:12 AM

anyone take ritalin for energy?

jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

ok, I have had 5 surgeries...they say I have fibro, lyme disease, RA, and on and on... so I have an endo because I had a tumor on my thyroid, so now I have no thyroid, and take armour for that. He had put me on provigil for fatigue, which was wonderful, had no side effects...BUT my stupid insurance decided it wouldn't cover it, and it would cost about $300 for the pills. so he said we'd try ritalin , it reacts different in adult than in kids. Have any of you had this? did it give you bad side effects?? so sick of pills!

11/14/2007 08:57 AM
sweetheartsuzee
sweetheartsuzee  

So sick of pills is RIGHT!! I was just thinking about that this morning as I dug through my medicine cabinet to fill up my 'day pill box'. I thought to myself...FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD...I'm soo SICK of being a WALKING PHARMACY!!! But, if it weren't for the pills, I wouldn't even be out of bed to have to fill up the box.

Anyhow, I personally haven't tried Ritalin, however I do know someone who does and they love it. I haven't heard of any bad side effects but that doesn't mean they don't have them. My doc put my on good ole' fashioned 'speed' at one point...I thought I was gonna go crazy! I only took 2 doses and flushed the rest down the toilet! YUCKIE!! I would like to know more about Provigil for fatigue though. Would you mind pm'ing me with more info?? I'd sure appreciate it and I do hope that the Ritalin works for you! I'll be curious to know...please, keep us posted!!

{{{{Hugs}}}}

11/14/2007 09:09 AM
stars_shadow
stars_shadow  

O, more energy would be fantastic! Since they just put me on muscle relaxers, I could just sleep all day. hahahaha

11/14/2007 09:47 AM
Darklite
Darklite  

I was on ritalin for almost 2 yrs. I went to this doc. because I needed something to get me through school(thinking I had ADD). After asking me 2 or 3 questions he gave me the persciption. The whole 2 yrs ..some days were good and some were really bad (distorted thoughts, dizzyness, moodyness ect.) and I was also at 97 pounds, size 00. one day last yr. I got sick of it and stoped taking it..I gained 30 pounds within that yr. A few months ago things werent right in my mind again so I went to another doctor and was dignosed with being bipolar. I read a book that said if you have bipolar ritalin can make it worse...I wish I would have really known what was wrong with me 3 yrs ago. Pls stay strong...the roads of medications is never easy....

11/14/2007 09:51 AM
bshapiro
bshapiro  

I wouldn't take Ritilan or any other stimulant as it will put stress on your HPA axis.

Prior to my fibro diagnosis I was diagnosed with adult ADHD(gotta love those docs) about a year & a half before my system finally crashed.

During that time I was on 30mg/day of dextrostat (Dexedrine) and IMHO it really stressed my HPA system & again IMHO I'm sure contributed to the final crash that made me the man I am today.

As you already know provigil is not as speedy or disruptive - I don't know if it also stresses the HPA.

I've tried provigil for sport & scientific interest & found it to much lighter on the body.

My daughter ex boyfried the biochemist used to buy it on the cheap from the Chezc Republic on the internet as a bulk chemical (it's a cosmetics additive) & it was very inexpensive - I'll try to find the source for you.

11/14/2007 10:57 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

well, I filled it, and took one. It's a low dose 10 mgs. So far no side effects. I feel nauseated, but I felt that way already, so it's not the pill. I will keep you all posted to see what happens, I'm going to take it for a few days and see if I notice any difference. If not, then I will quit taking it, no sense in taking yet another pill if it doesn't do me any good Smile

11/14/2007 02:57 PM
Darklite
Darklite  

I agree jaime..I was on 10 mg when i stoped taking it...Good luck sweetie Smile

11/14/2007 04:32 PM
Wayney
Wayney  

I haven't tried Ritalin. That was going to be my suggestion if my ins wouldn't cover Provigil. I gotta say I love Provigil. If for some strange reason I don't take it, I sleep all day. I don't get huge bursts of energy on it. But..it's overall helped me be awake much more. Alert more too. I take 100 mg of a morning. If i'm in a bad flare, I add 50 mg with my lunch meds. Now, when I first took it, I screwed up, took it too late in the day and took WAY too much. I ended up being awake for 36 hrs. It's helped me rely less on meds to help me sleep as well. I sleep so much better at night if I don't nap during the day. I'm interested in the Ritalin experiences simply because I wanna know.

I do know one woman who took another med for energy...Bontril. Technically, it's a med for those who are obese and need help losing weight. But, it does add energy. She switched to it from Provigil because of the insurance issue and wasn't as happy with it. I'm fortunate my insurance has never questioned Provigil. But, they could at any time I guess.

11/16/2007 06:01 AM
jaime1978
jaime1978  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

surprisingly the ritalin seems to be helping! Yesterday after taking my daughter to school, my son took a nap for the first time in months...so I had the oportunity to nap too.... didn't even feel like I needed to! Usually I am dragging and have fallen asleep in the middle of playing with the poor little guy. I was worried I'd feel "speedy" on it, but I don't, thank God, and it was cheap. So I just might have found something that works....that's always a nice surprise. They always put us on drugs, switch them around, find different ones, side effects, etc.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved