MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/19/2008 05:43 AM

charlie horses?

hopie
hopie  

I was wondering if anybody else experiences charlie horse on a regular basis.I just started to get them more frequently at night from stretching and pointing my toes.Then I am sore for days in that area.Are these common with fibromyalgia?

08/19/2008 05:57 AM
JustAnnie
JustAnnie  

Hi. Yes I would say Charlie horses are common, considering I know several people with fibro, including myself that get them. Talk to your doctor about your potassium level, because Ive heard they are caused by low levels of potassium. Eat a lot of bananas and try stretching before bedtime, even in lght moderation

08/19/2008 05:58 AM
jls1021
Jill1021  

Omg I get them too and boy oh boy do they suck! I hate how bad they hurt and they do seem to get more frequent than they did in the past, and I get them the same way that you do pointing my toes while stretching. I eat bananas to try and get more potassium but it don't seem to work so well! Hope you can get relief soon!

08/19/2008 06:11 AM
hopie
hopie  

These drive me crazy....I would get them with pregnancy and they would go away after my kids were born.But now all of a sudden they're back and Im not pregnant this time.I've had a few in the last 2 weeks all when Im sleeping...I scream and yell and my husband tries to rub them out....They hurt so bad.Well I feel better knowing I am not the only one.Thanks

08/19/2008 06:55 AM
mcbeth
mcbeth  

I started out getting them in my legs. My doctor put me on prescription potassium in the morning and an over the counter potassium at night. It helped but then I started getting them in my groin and my hips. Then she put me on Cybalta and that helped. I don't get them in my legs anymore but I'm noticing that I am getting them in my sides and across my back. This morning I had a pretty good one right underneath my left should blade. I was brushing my hair when that one hit. I'm also back to getting them in my hips.

I swear don't kow what to do, I eat bananas, take potassium twice a day plus Cymbalta and I'm getting them again.

I feel you for, those things just flat out hurt.Pinch

08/19/2008 08:34 AM
Janilee

I'm low on potassium and take 20 mgs twice a day to keep it at 4 which is the lowest you can go before being deficient. I was starting to get the charlie horses in my back and also under my ribs so I told my Dr about it this last appointment. She checked my Magnesium level and I was low in that too. Here's a good site for Magnesium. Notice it mentions fibromyalgia.

http://www.ctds.info/5_13_magnesium.html

Jan

08/19/2008 08:51 AM
mama2

I get have them also. I try not to point my toes if I can but some times I do it in my sleep and I have to get up and walk it out. The soreness stays with me for several days. I have them in my legs, groin, hips, and back. I have even had a few in my arms but its not often. I eat bananas my potassium is ok at least the last time it was checked. My back is the worst for me. A friend of mine told me to drink Gatoraide and it helps. When I get to cramping really bad I will go get a poweraide or a gatoraide and it helps a little. But a little is better than nothing right. I haven't found anything to keep me from getting Charlie horses but I have found a few ways to ease the pain of them. I hope you find something that helps you. Hugs to all.

08/19/2008 08:56 AM
Sistrozzie
Sistrozzie  

Charlie horses are so painful. I have been getting them lately in my right leg from stretching while sleeping. I have to get out of bed and push my heel down to the floor so my foot is flat. I also get them in my back, under my left rib, my arches, my toes, you name it. I see my dr next week and I just had blood tests so we'll see what he has to say about the potassium. Does anyone get frequent bladder infections?

08/19/2008 09:23 AM
mcbeth
mcbeth  

I have gotten to where I will wake up before the ones in my legs hit. When I was pregnant they told us to try to touch your nose with your toes, and that really does help.

Mama2 the ones in your back and groin are the worst, can't reach your back to rub it and you can't rub the one in your groin either, well not in public anyway.

Sistrozzie I have had them in my arches and toes but not so much lately. Now my toes to spasm, they don't curl under but spread out if that makes sense. I rub them but they keep doing it for awhile.

I don't get bladder infections, thank goodness that's one thing I DON'T have!

08/19/2008 01:03 PM
hopie
hopie  

I do eat alot of bananas but havent had my potassium checked in a while,probably since this fibro all started.I can say I live on about 3 to 4 hours of broken up sleep a night for about 2 yrs now because my baby simply doesnt need sleep.He can be up 5 times before 2 am ..So I am very fatigued and I wonder if muscle fatigue has anything to do with it plus I never sit down in the day with a 2 yr old and 6 yr old autistic son.So Im not sure...But mine are always from pointing my toes in my sleep and I have to flatten the foot to stop it.Which still hurts.I wonder too about these major spasms I get in my sternum area.I come up from a lying down position and wham ,major balled up lumpy pain.I wonder if its actually a charlie horse too now that Im thinking about it.It was one of my first symptoms 2 1/2 yrs ago.Well anyways I had a bad one last night in my calf and Im so sore now and for some reason my hips are in major pain today too.It never ends.......

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved