MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/17/2008 12:33 PM

whats the most pain meds you ever taken

Cathryn2
Cathryn2  

hi just wondering dose anyone ever take more pain meds that the allowed dose in a day saids is it so bad to take too at one time and is it so bad to take them every 2 hors than every 4 hours sometimes i feel like i am loseing my mind cause it just not cutting out my pain and i feel like i am out of control can someone relate to this
--- The discussion has been locked ---

08/17/2008 12:44 PM
sleepwalking
sleepwalking  

This is a really tough question to answer.

Overdose is a real problem that you should always be aware of!!

That said, I'm sure there are many of us who have taken more than what has been prescribed. If the docs won't help you by prescribing something to really help your pain and will only give you something worthy of a toothache (like Vicodin) then ???

I have sometimes taken a extra half a pill and that helps, but makes me itchy. I also have the problem of only having a certain numbers of pills alloted per month. So if I take more than directed I could run short at the end of the month.

Be really careful, whatever you decide to take. There have been a lot of accidental overdoses in the news lately.

08/17/2008 01:02 PM
jsrace
jsrace  

I agree with sleepwalking - be really careful. My doc told me that on bad days I can take up to two at a time or within a 4 hour time frame.

I usually have to order my pain meds 6 days before the 30 day time period runs out because I have taken extras. This is ok with the insurance company and the feds. My doc expects it and doesn't give me any grief. He also told me I can take Alieve or Ibuprofen in addition to my pain med (hydrocodone) but nothing with acetomeniphen (like tyelnol). Keep a close watch on what you are taking (write it down as our memories are not always dependable - or mine isn't anyway) especially when we are in pain. I also, have the problem of itching when I do take more than one pill at a time (what's that about anyway???).

Gentle hugs and God bless,

Joan

08/17/2008 03:13 PM
ALCSS2008

Okay please forgive me for letting my nursing voice sound a little on this question. Meds should be taken the way they are prescribed. If they are not working for you by taking them this way then either the dose is inappropriate for you or the med may not not be the best choice. I am sorry, but no one should answer questions about the greatest amount of pain medication they have taken because what has been safely taken by one person may not be tolerated by another. I do not feel this is a safe question and think it should be removed from the forum.

08/17/2008 03:53 PM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

this is a very touchy question and I posed a simular one not to long ago when you are so desperate to be out of pain for just a little while we often try and take tylonal,Ibuprophen more meds has it been 2 or 3 hours is it close enough that it doesn't matter or do I care its to close to when I already took the last one but as it was stated before the only safe way to take your meds is the way perscribed and please be aware that Ibuprophen and others can eat a hole in your tummy and you dont want that,call and ask your doctor when you have a bad day or week what is safe for you.

believe me I know what you mean and battle this problem myself,but interactions can kill you,and alc I undestand your worry about the question but I dont believe she's asking permission and though a subject is touchy that is why were here to help each other so Im glad she ask the question we are affraid to admit,and please dont take offence because I value your oppionion and understand your concern

08/17/2008 04:10 PM
tsage
tsage  

I certainly appreciate and understand everyone's concern about this subject, but it is good Cathryn2 asked the question instead of just taking more meds.

Cathryn2, I think you should go to the hospital if you can't stand the pain and then you can see your doctor this week. They can give you stronger pain meds and monitor your condition.

08/17/2008 05:02 PM
ALCSS2008

Those are two very good points. Catheryn you nned to control your pain. i failed to address the most important part of your question. You should not be in pain. If what you have been prescribed is not working for you, it is time for you to work with your doctor to find something that does. The most important issue you are dealing with is safe pain control. I am so sorry if I sounded as if I didn't care about you and your pain. I just got so scared for your safety. Please forgive me and be safe.

Sandi

08/17/2008 05:31 PM
tsage
tsage  

Sandi - I totally knew where you were coming from. Look at all of the accidental overdoses in the news lately! People have to be very careful.

08/17/2008 07:08 PM
mamanordy

I agree with Sandi. If you are needing to take more than what is prescribed, you need to tell the dr. He or she can increase the dosage or strength, but it is really dangerous to do it yourself.

I will admit, though, I have done it on occasion, as I feel that I am qualified to do so, from my many many yrs in the medical field. I know what I can handle and what is too much. But I have tried not to do that anymore, to let the drs handle it.

Such is my case now. I discontinued my Ultram, it wasnt working, not strong enough. Now I am taking Vicodin ES, honestly it doesnt really work that well either. But my dr is a new one for me, and she doesnt know me. I know what I need but I will go through the steps with her. Percocet is the only thing that works for my pain. I will take the Vicodin another couple weeks, then I will request a change.

I am lucky in that I have several drs. One for my fibro, two for my heart, one for my back issues, and one for my nerve pain. And one who sits in the wings and rescues me when no one else will listen ( my former internist/employer).

Please do stay on your recommended dosage for safetys sake.

08/17/2008 07:45 PM
mowse
mowse  

I came to this site because I was promised honesty and support. I was told I could ask about ANYTHING and I'll be helped to the best of ones ability.. If we start to field questions and tell people which questions are the right or wrong ones to ask then that's not being honest and it'll make this site like all the others..DIShonest/unsafe..

Now truthfully, some of us aren't blessed with the best of docs. I thought mine was a Godsend until I found out that after being with him for 7 yrs. he and his wife were using my name to get 'oxycontin' but was telling me I shouldn't be taking it...I didn't find out until the pharmacy called me to see if I recieved my meds from the doctor's office that the doc's wife picked up for me..I didn't know what was going on until the wife was charged with the crime and it was in the local paper..Re:hospitals- the hospital didn't know what to do with me due to the type and dose of meds I was on and plus they all put your symptoms in the computer and whatever "symptoms.com" spit out is what they do..regardless of the information you give them or the fact that ur begging them to call your private doc...

Sometimes I'd be so tired and frustrated from the pain and the run around yes I've taken pain meds more than I should of...However now God has Blessed me with a wonderfully gifted team of doctors and I have NOT had to do that anymore...but b4 you remove such questions as these find out peeps circumstances and provide the advice/information like Cathryn2 requested and 'Help' not take away and ignore because that could really hurt and/or kill some one. We don't want that..

It's a bad situation but it does happen we must not act as if it's not real...May God Bless Us All in our Struggles...Amen

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved