MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/14/2008 01:27 AM

New doctor, Scared, Help?

recovered26
recovered26  

I could really use some advice. I think most of you know about what happened with Michelle - she intimidated me, didn't provide me with prescriptions, threatened to send me to the psych ward because I got frustrated with her laziness, and engaged in patient abuse. I never wanted to go to appts with her alone because she is so intimidating; didn't listen, got me to shut up. Every time I left her office, I felt guilty, hopeless, and helpless, depressed.

I see a new doctor on Friday, and I do not know what to tell her. She will likely ask me why I switched. I don't like accusing people of such awful things,b ut they are true. I had a witness for most of what happened as I rarely went to appts with her alone.

I am really scared the new doctor will just have the same attitude - there's nothing more we can do. I'm afraid she will not work with me in finding medication that works as well as other therapies. I am afraid she will not listen to me and I am afraid she will just try to get me to shut up because she doesn't want to deal with all of my issues. I am afraid she will be no help to me like Michelle was. I am scared she will not write prescriptions and I will have to call or go over to the hospital three or four times to get them. I don't have the energy to do that anymore. I don't have the energy or tolerance for another horrible doctor.

I just don't know what to tell her. I am totally lost. I have so many things that Michelle screwed up. I know there is so much more that can be done for my fibro and neuropathy. I don't want to be blown off again.

What do I tell her? She doesn't even have my medical history because Michelle never got one from me!

Please help?

08/14/2008 02:23 AM
jls1021
Jill1021  

I am so sorry about all your problems with your previous doc or what ever Michelle was. If I were you I would write down as much as you can remember symptom wise and try to make your own medical history, OR I would call the clinic where you were going and ask to speak to some one in medical records, they have to provide you with your medical record because it is YOURS! They cannot keep that info from you. Don't ask Michelle, ask someone in the office, you may have to pay a small fee for the copies but in the long run it will help you with the new doctor.

Also with the new doc, I would just tell them that you had a very bad experience with a previous doc and that you are coming to them for HELP! Tell them that you feel that your last doc was condescending and controlling, and that you feel that you were never properly cared for, therefore causing you to seek them for your medical care! You really shouldn't have to say anything for switching docs. I will be praying for you and hoping that the visit with the new doc goes well! I am so sorry for all of your problems! I hope they get resolved with the new one!

*gentle hugs, prayers, and wishes for better care sent your way!*

~Jill

08/14/2008 03:09 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

do you go to the same clinic for this doctor? I would just say there was diffrences of opionon of how your care should go,its a scaring thing putting your trust and health in someones hand,and I know its so hard not to worry with what you already had to go through, I will be praying for you

08/14/2008 09:14 AM
Janilee

I agree with Jill and broken. Your new doctor will need to get a new history on you anyway since it's your first time seeing her. The new Dr probably won't ask you why you are switching doctors anyhow. It's really none of their business. But if he does ask, just say that your prior doctor wasn't working out.

Good luck sweetie and I'll say a courage prayer for you tonight. But I know that you will do just fine.

Jan

08/14/2008 10:25 AM
sleepwalking
sleepwalking  

I complained once about a doc to a new doc and that set off the first visit on a bad tone. Doctors do not like you to say bad things about other doctors and they can get quite defensive about it.

If you want to start off on the right foot I would not mention the other doctor at all. Just start anew with a history of your medical problems and what has and has not worked for you.

Just my personal opinion

08/14/2008 10:33 AM
Janilee

I just thought of something. The other doctor probably doesn't know you doctored with Michelle. It's their receptionists that deal with the appointments etc. Don't say a word about Michelle unless you are asked. Then just say you need to find someone with fresh ideas on how to treat you.

Jan

08/14/2008 11:50 AM
koranistar

Hey Sweetie, here's a LOL but it might work for you as well. I avoided docs for almost 3 years because of the same condesending attitudes, well I got sent to see a shrink for my public aid. I started my visit with her by laying 5 coins on her desk in front of me. I told her that I have trust issues with Drs. and that the coins were trust tokens. As soon as the tokens were removed from the desk, the meeting was over. She looked at me like I was nuts but she totally listened to me. She told me that I wasn't nuts, just one pissed off woman with every right to be. She also was one of the docs that helped me get my SSD. Peace and Light to you. Korani

08/14/2008 11:58 AM
Sistrozzie
Sistrozzie  

Well, if Michelle never got a med history from you, you are basically starting oout brand new and that's a good thing. If the dr asks why you switch, just say you want a second opinion. Then build from there. If he can't help you, ask for a referral to a pain management dr. When I was in pain, it happened that I started crying at my dr's appt and it scared him so much he didn't know what to do. He finally got me a tissue and then wrote me a script for Cymbalta but I didn't like that med. Maybe a tear or two will help. Tongue

08/14/2008 01:23 PM
recovered26
recovered26  

My new doctor works in the same hospital clinic as the old one. I don't really know if they talk to each other and exchange information or not. But I agree, I think just not telling them what happened with Michelle is probably the best thing for now.

I just hope it goes better than it did with Michelle. I don't want to spend another two years with another crappy doctor.

08/14/2008 02:26 PM
MrsBrenay
MrsBrenay  

I know what you are going thru. I just seen my new dr. after the first one was a little close for me. The new dr. asked me why I left, I just told him I just didn't think he was The dr. for me. Hope it works out okay.Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved