MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/10/2010 02:48 PM

depression

cricket0925

I am going through a divorce and i cannot get any of my dr's to give the right medicine to help. They say cymbalta should be enough, but my psychologist, says it is not,( that i am depressed and have aniexty attacks) so now i have to go to a psychiatrists. I don't want to do anything but sit in a corner. My regular dr wants me to come off my high doseage of cymbalta(90mg). I now have an urinary tract infection, which is three times worse with fibro. I felt so bad i went to the urgent care for it. Any suggestions on good dr to help me out of this black whole?

04/10/2010 03:21 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Hi Cricket and welcome to the group.

Your psychologist (or tdoc for therapy doctor) cannot prescribe medications, that's probably why they want you to see a psychiatrist (pdoc) because they are MDs and can write prescriptions. Your primary care physician (PCP) shouldn't be interfering with your anti-depressants if you are seeing a pdoc.

Check out this website for a doc who specializes in fibromyalgia. If you depression is just the result of fibromyalgia, then your PCP or a rheumatologist or neurologist can take over your prescriptions. If you have other causes of depression (I'm told I'm triply depressed, lucky me) then you probably need to see the pdoc. Good luck. Oh, here's the link:

http://www.fmaware.org/site/PageServer? pagename=resources_hcProviderDirectory

Again welcome to the group!

04/10/2010 03:33 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Seeing a pdoc will be a great idea to help deal with your depression. They can work with you to find the right meds to suit your needs and body chemistry. Like everything it's trial and error, I hope you are able to find your magical med quickly and start feeling better soon. Hugs, Stacey Wink

04/10/2010 03:38 PM
faroutback

Hello, Cricket, and I too welcome you to the group. Raynedae is right on. It is very difficult to find doctors who can coordinate conditions such as fibro along with depression, which is a real side effect of feeling like crap all the time. Your first sentence was curious: You are going through a divorce but can't get your doctors to give you the right medication. That may be more accurate than it seems--of course there is no medication for divorce, and when people have real, concrete reasons to be depressed, medication along will not cut the mustard. You need a combination of medication for depression (you sound like you have a clinical depression, which means one that needs treatment) and talk therapy. When I have patients I think can benefit from medication, I refer them to a psychiatrist because as a clinical psychologist I cannot prescribe medication. I just do the talk therapy part of the program. Please keep trying to find someone who will listen to you and can explain to you the kinds of medication you need. Check out Raynedae's suggested website, and please don't give up. We are rooting for you.

04/10/2010 04:06 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I suffer from Bipolar Disorder and see a pdoc regularly, I have been stable on my meds for a year now after trial and error for several years but anyway my point are times where even stable I can have moments of depression that my pdoc explained doesnt mean I have become unstable but due to my health issues or even if something is going on in life that is difficult to handle it is called "situational depression". Many people suffer from this and it can easily be managed with medication and if needed talk therapy same with clinical depression. A pdoc will be able to determine by your signs and symptoms what exactly you are dealing with and what medication would be best for you to start with and as long as you work closely with them you should have success and feel much better. I wish you the best of luck. You are not alone, we are all here for you! Wink

04/10/2010 04:13 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group. I'm sorry you are feeling so badly. You have already been giving great advice by the others so I just wanted to pop in and welcome you. You could benefit greatly by being here with us. We don't always have all the answers but it's great chatting with people who understand what you are going through. Feel free to ask as mnay questions as you want or even vent if you need to. You don't have to go through this alone, we're all here for you Smile

04/10/2010 04:22 PM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

SEEING a pdoc isn't like it is in the movies....They don't make you lie down and start at the beginning, and not everything is your mom's fault, unless of course, you are my sister. lol. You can still get that kind of therapy, by seeing a Freudian Pdoc

There are hundreds of drugs and dosages available. Finding the right drugs/doseage can be a real trial and error process. It will take patience on your part as well as accurate reporting of both the good and the bad to the doc when you see him/her again.

for the record, just my opinion alone, I would rather go to a psychiatrist than a psychologist. I've worked with both types, and both types can be nutty as fruit cakes, but the advantage of going to a Psychiatrist means one less appointment every month....and any week there isn't a doc appointment is heaven, pure unmitigated heavenly joy!!!

Good Luck and do be patient with the new doc....they tend to be high strung and perfectionists.....ok just perfectionists....and some are high strung.....

keep us posted

hugs

Natty

Post edited by: Natalia5150, at: 04/10/2010 04:25 PM

04/10/2010 04:23 PM
crystalvision
crystalvision  

Ok I have to speak up here. I old field of study was anti-depressants, i have helped a ton of people who where toxicity over medicated with a toxic cocktail of several at a time. Make sure they don't 'load' you up on some medical cocktail , too many at one time...well if you read the side effects to anti-depressants, it's depression. I look up and research every med that they give me to take ...always check your meds, side effects and what you are taking together>

04/10/2010 04:32 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Most drs check your drug interactions as well as the pharmacist. You can also do it yourself on www.drugdigest.com most people are pretty smart when it comes to taking medications these days.

04/10/2010 04:33 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Crystal, it's nice to have you joining us and adding your two cents. Thanks for you input on this.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved