MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/13/2008 08:02 AM

Fibromyalgia muscle knots

KJ071

Unsure

I have fibro and get these knots about the size of a quarter on my muscles especially arms and legs that are painful. They seem to come and go. Anyone esle have this any is there anything that helps?

08/13/2008 09:01 AM
tbuchle

I have gotten them. Gentle massage and heat help, just don't rub too hard. Try to stretch a little and then another rub and heat. And don't dicout ibuprofen to helpw with those. I also found that when I drink more water ( A LOT OF WATER ) I don't get them anymore.

Theresa

08/13/2008 09:28 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have knots on the top portion of my thighs. I had them a long time before I knew about Fibro.

Sometimes they are tender and other times, not, but I do, once in awhile, gently massage them. I can t honestly say they hurt. I am just aware that they are there.

08/13/2008 10:46 AM
Sistrozzie
Sistrozzie  

I have read that muscle knots are myofascial syndrome and not fms but I haven't experienced it so don't take my word for gospel. I get confused between everything people tell us anymore. In fact, when I had my cataract surgery yesterday, the insurance clerk there told me I would have to pay $200 a month for the portion that my regular insurance wouldn't pay until I reached my $1000 out of pocket expenses. That just didn't sound right so I called my insurance today and someone had given the dr's office the wrong info. I'm scot free. No payments on my part! Yay.

08/13/2008 11:34 AM
Wolfpack
Wolfpack  

I get horrible muscle knots on my back especially my shoulders and by my spine on both sides. I call them (and my chiropractor does too) trigger points. Not the same ones that are related to fibro (the sensitive spots.) These are different. I have my husband use his thumb and find each spot one by one and put direct pressure onto the spot. They try to roll out from under so he has to start with light pressure and then work up the heavy pressure. Mine are built ups of lactic acid - it comes with FMS bad. Pressing on them breaks up the lactic acid and usually (but temporarily) gets rid of the knot. Mine are very tender and sensitive. They are ticklish if you poke them, but painful to touch directly.

Wolfpack

08/13/2008 01:01 PM
lil12
lil12  

I have really bad knots in my shoulders. They're pretty much as hard as rocks. They've been there for about 9 years. When I first started getting them, I was a competitive gymnast. I always thought they were from overworking myself...until 9 years later, they're still not gone!

08/13/2008 02:01 PM
sabbysabbyw
sabbysabbyw  

I suffer from Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome. The muscle knots and pain do sound alot more like the Myofascial Pain Syndrome than FM. They do hurt really bad. Heat and massage help me the most with this. Hope this helps. =)

08/14/2008 03:28 AM
jls1021
Jill1021  

OMG, I get them, and they are awful, I get them in my calves, my thighs, my biceps, my neck, shoulders, and my lower back. I have tried every muscle relaxer on the market, and found that Soma helps a lot mixed with zanaflex, which my doc said if I spaced them right, I could take both of them, I get scared about that, but it does help if I wait six hours between doses!

Maybe I should ask my doc about this because I have Fibro, but not the Myofascial Pain Syndrome...maybe I have had it all along and now I know what to ask my doc to check.

01/29/2009 04:13 PM
InTheMoment
InTheMoment  

I've been wondering about my own knots..... thanks for all the advice..... Smile

01/29/2009 08:54 PM
amommy02
amommy02  

I had massage therapy for a while but I had to give it up. While the knots were releasing, the pain was still there and then some. If I could have stuck it out it probably would have helped in the long run. But I would need some heavy duty pain meds to get me through it and since I can't get any of those...

I do have this massager thing that helps. It's a Waterpik Accureach. I picked it up at a dollar store for $10. It's a very strange looking device, but it's designed so you can use it on your own back and neck without having to be a pretzel.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved