MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/01/2010 02:45 PM

Finger swelling, tightness, and pain.

cherishmythirdeye
cherishmythirdeye  

Has anyone experienced edema in the extremities with Fibromyalgia? Just recently the middle finger only on my left hand swelled up so much that my ring was cutting off my circulation. I now can't wear rings... It's not only swollen but joint is tight and painful. I find it very strange that it is only in the one finger. And that the swelling seems to increase when I exercise. I take my daily walk and my finger swells bigger for some reason? Any insight? Is swelling of the extremities common with fibromyalgia or should I consult a doctor about it? I'm concerned too because this has been going on for a straight week with no improvement.

04/01/2010 03:16 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

About 6 weeks into trying Lyrica, my hands and feet both started to swell and turned really, really painful. I had to stop Lyrica because of it. I've never had just one finger swell tho unless I had an insect bite.

If you're swinging your arms when you walk (perfectly natural) it forces blood down into your fingers, I had a really problem with that in bootcamp went I had guard duty and had to circle the barracks for two hours at a time.

The only other thing I can think of might be gout or pseudo-gout. Google those and see what you find.

Good luck!

04/01/2010 03:23 PM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

as always talk to your doc when you have new symptoms,,have you tried heat to see if it brings down the swelling?

I myself have swelling in my hand for diffrent reasons... but sometimes the way I sleep but being it is one finger? I would think something else is going on..

04/01/2010 03:43 PM
oroman
oroman  

I too have swelling in my fingers from time to time. And I have had swelling in my ankles for the past 3 yrs or so and the doctors don't know why. I have read this here on another topic related to this before you posted this one. Look at the old postings if you do not get a reply on this.

Good luck.

Olga

04/01/2010 03:56 PM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

Yes it is a semi common problem....and just about the time you get used to it it changes on you. If it persists you should see your doctor, though.

fibro people tend to have connective tissue problems....so it goes.

Natty

04/01/2010 04:09 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Hi and welcome to our family. I get swelling like that, very rare that it will be one finger but it does happen to me. My cause is from RA. I would let your doctor know and he can decide what should be done. Good luck and let us know if you don't mind.

04/01/2010 06:22 PM
gheersmom

Cherish does the joint stick and then pop with some degree of pain? I have that on my right middle finger and it was diagnosed as trigger finger. It is a painful thing and if caught early it can be taken care of with physical therapy. If it was caught late like mine then it requires surgery. I am not at doc either but speaking from experience. Ask your doc because trigger finger affects nerves and function in your joint.

04/01/2010 06:32 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That does not sound Fibro related at all, you need to see your dr. I wish you the best of luck!!!! I hope it turns out to be ok. Oh yeah....

04/01/2010 06:49 PM
jmacboy

I had swelling in middle finger of rt hand for the last 2 weeks, talk to GP she told me to talk to the pain/ neurologist. It NOT red or hot, just swollen in to hand + in morning all but little finger swollen and VERY painful. Wednesday I had EMG, he think I have carpel tunnel syndone, but he also did x-rays on both hands. He thinks I might have neuro problems 2. We will see

04/02/2010 07:22 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Cherish, WELCOME to our group ~~~~

I have no arthritis etc. in my extremeties but I DO have swelled (tight) feeling hands/fingers many mornings for a few hours after I am up . No pain in the actual joints ~~~

I attribute it to Fibro since it doesn t happen everyday (just 2-3 days per week) but I use my hands/fingers with a handheld PC hours at a time at work .

I DO have a problem thumb on my left hand that pains me 75% of the time but I also attribute that as work related. I just have to be careful not to lift anything with that thumb or put stress on it.

Yours being in only one finger seems odd . I would discuss it with my dr. if I were you .

Marilyn

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved