MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/27/2010 06:30 PM

Constant Shoulder/Neck pain!

nicegirlme78
nicegirlme78  

For the past 4 months, my shoulder and neck, has been killing me! It's 90% on the left side. It starts right above my shoulder blade and goes up my neck and down my arm a bit. I have been seeing a chiropractor for about a month now, but my visits are up now and still in a lot of pain. The adjustments and also low level laser treatments helped it about 50%, but I can't afford the treatments anymore. I sleep on a heating pad, use shiatsu massager, wear those heated patches, and have just recently started with a TENS unit, but with no major relief from any of them. I am on Neurontin and Plaquenil for Fibromyalgia and possible Lupus. I have read several older posts on this subject on here, but was wondering if anyone had any new ideas or thoughts! The rest of my body has been feeling relatively good in comparison to how it was a year ago. I was in a lot of pain in many other areas. Thanks!

03/27/2010 06:32 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Have you been tested for Lupus yet or in the testing stage? They dont generally just treat you for possible Lupus, it took me close to two years for a confirmed diagnosis because Lupus is very difficult to diagnose.

03/27/2010 06:38 PM
nicegirlme78
nicegirlme78  

Well, that's kind of confusing. All my problems started 4 years ago and they tested me for Lupus and had a medium positive ANA and was diagnosed with definately Fibromyalgia, but had the positive ANA and some other things that made them think Lupus/UCDT/MCDT so they started me on Plaquenil to see if it helped and it made quite a bit of difference, so they have kept me on it. I have had one other positive ANA over the past 4 years, but she will not make a diagnosis of any of those until she is 100% sure.

03/27/2010 06:49 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

When you have a positive ANA they then usually do an entire Lupus Panel testing because people can have whats called a false positive. The Lupus Panel is a huge panel of testing that will show a ton of other indicators that could lead to Lupus but they still dont always go by blood work, they also need to go by Lupus Criteris you need to meet 4 out of 11 for them to do a confirmed diagnosis so they are probably just keeping you in the monitoring stage. Plaquenil used to be only a treatment for Lupus but now they are using it off label for other illnesses and Fibro I have heard is one of them so it cant hurt. The other treatments are much more potent so they could never start them unless they were absolutely certain. I wish you the best of luck!

03/27/2010 06:55 PM
nicegirlme78
nicegirlme78  

I see! They have done the full panel testing for Lupus and it is always negative, so she must be using it for whatever illness I have and it's just working! I'm thankful I'm a LOT better than I was 4 years ago! Thanks for the info!

03/27/2010 07:07 PM
missconstance
missconstance  

I am biased, but I would try massage Smile If there are any schools in your area, they usually have student massages at a reduced rate.

03/27/2010 07:10 PM
debhurts
debhurts  

hi, i have the exact pain, it is horrible they told me my lupus test was neg. but i have a condition that blocks a positive test, so they told me lupus and fibro go hand in hand in some cases, the only relief i get is heat and gentle massage and my savella. Typing hurts so im not a frequent poster due to that, feel 4 you hugs debi

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved