MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/26/2008 10:52 PM

sleeping with hip/thigh pain

crazywonderful

does anyone have a magic cure, pillow, etc.. to use to get through the night when you have that horrible hip upper thigh pain? Ache where it's so deep you can't tell whether it's muscle or bone pain. When I get this pain I can't lay on either side but laying on my back to sleep is nearly impossible because it's so uncomfortable. Any suggestions? God Bless

07/27/2008 05:04 AM
Barbkubacki

I just bought myself an leg ortho evelator. It help with the circulation in the knees and legs. I bought it at a pharmacy. It is basically foam large pillow with a rise up to the knees and then a platform. They have all different kinds for the different body parts.

07/27/2008 09:38 AM
Janilee

My left hip and leg are in constant pain. When the pain starts at night, I sometimes lay on my back with my fist under the hip that hurts. I've also found out that laying on my right side with a pillow between my legs helps. It works on the same principle as the leg ortho elevator.

Hope you find something that works for you

Jan

07/27/2008 12:59 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Crazy ...

Wow, I could have written this post instead of you ....

About the only time I wake up during the night (and it s not every night but frequently), it s because my thighs are killing me. Doesn t matter which side I happen to be sleeping on, the pain wakes me and I have to turn over.

I usually turn on my back for the remainder of the night.

I USED to be a tummy sleeper until I learned what that does to my spine...I gave it up a few years ago.

07/28/2008 03:08 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

The only thing that helps me with hip pain is a cortisone injection. I can tell when they've worn off, as I can't sleep on that side.

I sleep with a pillow between my legs if on my sides, and under if on my back. I also have a pillow under my arm(s). Sometimes, sleeping is just as, if not more, painful than making it through the day. Sad

Hang in there. Hopefully you'll figure out something that works!

I need to get one of those things Barbara was talking about and see if it helps. Certainly can't hurt.

07/28/2008 05:04 PM
Barbkubacki

It is called an ortho leg elevator. It was $38.00 at a pharmacy. It works wonders just keeeping my knees above my heart.

07/28/2008 05:10 PM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I have the same thing muscel/bone pain it drives me crazy because I always had slept on my side and have trouble sleeping because I cant a good bed is a must still looking myself but I got a body pillow sometimes helps but like Barb it winds up under my knees

09/04/2009 06:24 AM
pjrat

Hi - I also suffer from this and I am looking for a remedy. The only way I can sleep through a night is to sleep in a recliner using a neck pillow - the kind you use on airline flights. Other than that, I don't last more than 2 hours in a bed. My lower back is so bad that if I lay on my back (because it is comfortable) I literraly cannot get up without pushing myself up with my hand under my lower back. My recliner is wearing out as I am in it almost 24/7. Once getting home from work I sit in it to watch TV and then I have to sleep in it. Not fun at all.

by the way, I have a select comfort bed and it still doesn't let me sleep in bed because of the pain. I've put a mattress topper on it - no good. I've tried pillows everywhere - between knees, I've tried a body pillow just doesn't work.

I actually dread going to bed at night because of all of this.

In closing - I feel your pain and wish there was a solution.

09/04/2009 07:36 AM
Kristie1972
Kristie1972  

i always use baby night time lotion on my thighs and legs and feet before i go to bed. it has the lavender in and will help with the pain and help you relaxe

09/04/2009 08:11 AM
pjrat

Never heard of that. Is it found in a health store or a drugstore?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved