MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/21/2010 06:20 AM

Can the Fibromyalgia make the common cold worse?

Suannah
Suannah  

I have a cold and I am experencing an extreemly sore throat. I am doing as the doctor ordered but it seems to be getting worse instead of better. I was just wondering if the Fibro. could be the cause. Any guesses?

02/21/2010 06:36 AM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

Suannah.

What a pretty name, and absolutely, fibro is like yeast, it makes everything grow out of proportion t what it should be......

sorry....but true!!!

good to meet you and hope you feel better.!

Hugs

Natalia

02/21/2010 08:50 AM
brandib811
brandib811  
VIP Member

Hi Suannah!

I know how you feel. Common colds are the hardest to cure in general they say, but when I have a common cold it's like coming down with the flu. I don't know for sure, but I'd say having fibromyalgia makes anything we catch worse since it's like our bodies are already basically attacking themselves.

I remember the day I graduated my cousin had a little cough and sniffle. She popped a benadryl tab that night and was fine the next day. The following day I was coughing...then congested...sneezing...wheezing. By Christmas I had an upper respiratory infection and it took me till the end of January to get over. Just because my cousin had the bloody sniffles around me!

So unfortunately I would have to say it's normal...

02/21/2010 02:33 PM
bittersweetlife

After my shot of nyquil, my bowl of chicken soup, and I wrap myself in my electric blanket, for this awful cold I have had for the last several days, I'll have to get back to you. LOL I don't really know if the fms makes them worse, but when its on top of EVERYTHING ELSE, it can certainly seem so. I hope your cold and mine decide to make a hasty retreat VERY SOON!!!! This is getting very old!!!

02/21/2010 03:41 PM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

Please do not assume it is worse just because of the fibro. It could be that you are not responding to the medication or you could have flu or strep throat. If you are still feeling worse I would call back to the doctor's office and tell them what is going on. He may want you to come back in. This is doubly true if you are not controlling your fever. If you cannot get a fever over 103 to come back down you definitely need to contact the Dr. or go to the E.R.

One of the problems with fibro is that after a while we start blaming all our problems on it. Some of the time we are wrong and that can be dangerous if we are not careful.

02/21/2010 04:06 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

It could be that it is developing into an infection. I just recently got over a nasty cold that I attempted to let run it's course. I have two auto immune diseases on top of Fibro so colds hit me harder and easier. I ended up finally going to see the doc to find I had I had a Sinus infection and Bronchitis so I needed some antibiotics. I went 2 weeks untreated trying to let it run it's course. If you still feel really bad please go get checked. Hugs, Stacey Wink

02/21/2010 04:29 PM
tntmom1027
tntmom1027Posts: 537

I got a cold from my 2yr old and it progressed into bronchitis which had to be treated with antibiotics and an inhaler after the first in office breathing treatment.

I believe the fibro has something to do with it..even if its just that my body is so run down from the pain that its having trouble fighting off infections.

02/21/2010 07:07 PM
mem6197

The fibro can certainly make the symptoms of a cold feel so much worse. I know that whenever I get a cold, I feel like I've been run over by a truck. When I get bronchitis, it's so much worse and I get it almost every winter. I have since I was a baby, so I can't blame the fibro for that. It just makes everything feel much worse.

02/21/2010 07:17 PM
donnaferguson
donnaferguson  

fibro does effect our immune system and when I get a cold or flu it lasts about 19-20 days. I think fibro effects everything even our sanity. I so hate this ****!!!!!!! I swear I have been saying " my fibro doesn't bother me like it used to and I haven't had a flare in a long time" and just after I say that I get a flare from HELL ..... I am so sick of this HELP..... lol donna

02/21/2010 07:25 PM
Suannah
Suannah  

The worst part is that it is just my throat and my right ear that hurts. I do not have a fever, or the body aches that a cold has. It is very strange.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved