MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/10/2010 03:49 PM

Does anyone get Splinter Hemorrhages?

nicegirlme78
nicegirlme78  

I have been getting these reddish brown lines in my fingernails that look like splinters, hence the name splinter hemorrhages (I looked it up online). They are usually indicative of an autoimmune disorder like Lupus or a cardiac problem. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Raynaud's syndrome but the Dr thought because of these and other reasons that it might be Lupus, but my labs come back normal except for one time (had a positve ANA, but not high enough for a diagnosis of Lupus).

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had these and if they only had Fibromyalgia?

02/10/2010 03:59 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Huh...I never knew they had a name! I do get them and have the typically heavily ridged fingernails of a fibromyte. How about moons at the bottom of your nails, do you have those? I only have them on my thumbs. Isn't it amazing how this fibromonster affects our bodies in so many ways? My nails have become much thicker than they used to be and grow incredibly fast.

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? So many of us are deficient, even when we take supplements and drink lots of milk. I do both but I was told I needed more, so now I take 2000ius of D3.

02/10/2010 05:04 PM
janquito
janquito  

Isn't fibro horrible. I noticed this morning I'm getting white horizontal lines on my nails and yes, my moons have long since gone except on my thumbs and two fingers on my left hand. My blood work have come back normal except once when the ana was positive but like you, nicegirl, not high enough. I had an appt with the neurologist today for my legs being shaky and weak. I did mention to him about it will probably end up being related to fibro. Seems it is always fibro. Fibro this fibro that. I am tired of it!

02/10/2010 05:10 PM
nicegirlme78
nicegirlme78  

Yes I have had all my vitamin levels checked and all were OK. They check them at the rheumotologist every 3 or 4 months.

How would you describe heavily ridged? I have one horizontal dent in each of my thumb nails. The rheumy said it's usually vitamin deficiency but never have any. I have no moon on my pinky nails but do on the rest of my fingernails.

02/10/2010 05:50 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello nicegirlme,

Welcome to the group ~~~

I have (rarely) had the splinter looking things under my finger nails and when I did, I just passed it off as maybe I pinched the finger and didn t remember it or something.

I never knew they had a real name for them ~~~

As for the ""ridged"" nails ~~~ I don t have that problem with my finger nails but in the past several years, my toe nails are all terribly ridged and getting worse with time. They don t hurt or anything , just look yucky !!!

Marilyn

02/10/2010 07:27 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Ridged like a Ruffles potato chip but closer together, at least on my thumbs and index fingers. On the rest of my nails I just have a couple of deep grooves that go from the nail bed to the tip of my nails.

As usual, I have no idea where I read that the ridges and lack of moons were just a couple more signs of fibro. I do like that my nails are getting thicker...they've been wafer thin ever since I had my acrylics taken off back in the 80s.

02/10/2010 07:30 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thats so funny Rayne I was just going to say I wouldnt know the difference because mine look like that after I have my acrylic nails off lol...this is back to the "what isnt a symptom of Fibro" convo lol Tongue

02/10/2010 07:40 PM
HapiCat
HapiCat  
I'm an Advocate

Thank you for answering a long existing question... What those lines were called. Yes, I have them along with super ridged nails. Mine are very brittle tho. I have never really had any vitamin levels checked. I drink milk daily and eat cheese too so I am pretty certain my vitamin d is ok.

Thanks again for the info. Peace

Cat

02/10/2010 10:28 PM
phire009
phire009  

Welcome nice girl,

I don't have any splinter hemm. nor ridges on hands but toenails are totally different thing....And you can still have lupus and have a negative ana.....Mine was neg. but due to all other symptoms was dx'd and put on plaquinil and was feeling better after 2 1/2 months of plaquinil tx....Dr. had said would take up to 3 months before started feeling any better....Also Daughter had neg. ana but they dx's her due to symptomes and looked at her fingernails thru a high powered microscope....and the veins under nails instead of being up and down as should be were all curliequed under nail bed, son was also tested with veins being that way and Dr said his were not enough to dx him but said if started with more symptoms, and nails getting more progression than he needed to be retested.....So you might want to talk to rheumy again.

02/11/2010 07:42 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

You can have a seronegative anything really. RA, lupus, etc. Only a very high percentage of autoimmune disorder patients have a positive ANA, etc. There are a small number of people who don't or who have the symptoms/process going on for a while before becoming positive. That's why they say to have your ANA, RA factor, etc done at least every two years. Because you can have the disease going on before you show positive.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved