MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/01/2008 11:53 PM

Weight Gain and Lyrica - I Need Advice

recovered26
recovered26  

Hi everyone,

I need some advice and personal experiences/opinions here. My insurance does not cover Lyrica, but my doctor said she'd try to convince someone else in the system to cover it for me so that I can try it for my Fibro.

The problem is this, though. I hear Lyrica causes weight gain. How much weight gain does it cause?? I am a recovering/recovered anorexic, and while I have two and a half years of recovery behind me, I know that I cannot handle gaining more weight than I already have put on. I think that gaining a lot of weight due to a medication to help me with my pain would only cause me to go back sliding into my eating disorder, and that would kind of defeat the purpose of the med helping me.

So, I wanted to know if Lyrica has made you gain weight, and if so, about how much? If you would rather, you can PM me answers. I won't share the info with anyone about weight if you decide to PM.

Thanks in adavnce!

Sierra

07/02/2008 05:06 AM
tsage
tsage  

I gained about 15-20 pounds after I started taking Lyrica. However, I recently started taking Cymbalta and it curbes my appetite. I think I've already lost about 5 pounds, so I think the combination of the 2 drugs works well. And, I haven't felt this much pain relief in over a year.

07/02/2008 07:22 PM
mcrump

I have only taken Lyrica for a couple of months- I did notice an increase in my appetite however- I drank allot of water- chewed gum- tried to do something to get my mind off of it- I haven't gained any yet.

04/17/2009 02:54 AM
lef
lef  

I have been on lyrica 300mg twice a day (gradually got to that dose) for a while, although it did not really help long term, I gained about 25lbs! I am currently being decreased to 300 mg once a day and going to be starting cymbalta, hope it works as well as it did for tsage!

04/17/2009 04:43 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

I just started taking cymbalta, so far I am having good luck with it, I have not been on it long enough to notice a weight loss but hey, if it will, bring it on.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved