MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/19/2010 01:54 PM

Normal..or not?

BabyDragon

Are the constant headaches a normal thing? It seems that I have had a headache/stiff neck/ back ache for weeks now.

01/19/2010 02:02 PM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

I was told that anything in the neck, sholders and head is myofacia (SP?) Sounds like your in a bad flare up. Call you rhumatologist . I get shots in the neck, hips and back and they help

01/19/2010 02:06 PM
meglyle
meglyle  

I'm not sure ANYthing is considered "normal". Everyone has different symptoms...at different times of day... You may want to have your doctor check to be sure you don't have an infection that could be cleared up. Feel better!!

01/19/2010 02:18 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Hey Judie,

There are a lot of us who have problems with headaches, but it's not necessarily related to fibro. I've had migraines since I was 16, but my neck symptoms didn't start until years later.

That being said, we don't handle stress very well so the stiff neck & backache could be giving you tension headaches. I used to get them all the time and sometimes they'd turn into migraines, other times just an annoying ache that wouldn't go away, or would only go away if I took muscle relaxers.

I've had problems with migraines and stress for a long time. I was having as many as 5 or 6 migraines a week, so I was referred to a neurologist who put me on Topamax to prevent them. It dropped them to 1 or 2 a week. Then things came to a head in my marriage and I finally made up my mind I was leaving the miserable SOB. As soon as I made that decision and started packing, my headaches disappeared! I went for about 2 months without a single headache, let alone migraine. I even stopped taking Topamax (it was really expensive).

Eventually my migraines came back like they always seem to do but were primarily weather related. That human barometer thing. I had to treat them with meds from the olden days as I got chest pains from the triptans.

A few months ago I felt like I was dying from the insomnia. A GL here recommended I try melatonin for sleep. She took 10mg for insomnia and also prevention of migraines. I was desperate for sleep so I tried it and it works! I went up to 9mg to see if it would help with my migraines. I've had one migraine in 3 months, and that was when one of my doctors insisted I only needed .5mcg to 3 mg, no more and I lowered my dosage.

Melatonin is cheap and OTC. It's natural in that our bodies produce it in the dark and the older we are the less it produces, which is why so many senior citizens have insomnia. It kind of regulates your circadian rhythms. It also did away with my night sweats!!

But unfortunately, it's not for everyone. If you have bipolar or diabetes, talk to your doctor before you try it. It's also supposed to cause some people to be depressed altho I don't think it has that effect on me. I'm less depressed now that I'm sleeping Smile None of my doctors have been able to tell me anything about long term effects of taking melatonin, but I plan to use it as long as it works. I love sleeping 9-11 hours and dreaming again!

01/19/2010 07:02 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi, Judie, welcome!

This is the place for support, understanding, advice and soft, gentle "hugs" - make yourself at home and do ask your doctor about the head/neck/backaches. It could be the fibro, or it could be something else that needs treatment, too. Anyway, let us know what you find out from the doc - See you in the posts, Jeni

01/19/2010 08:31 PM
phire009
phire009  

Welcome Judie,

You've joined one huge family that is caring and compassionate.

And like Rayne said the melatonin is good, I actually tried it and was sleeping and dreaming again finally, but have had to stop as Rayne said if have diabetes DO NOT TAKE...........WILL RAISE YOUR BLOOD SUGARS SKY HIGH.....that's why had to stop it went from 200's to over 500....and boy I miss that sleep it was so nice!!!!!!!!!

01/19/2010 09:59 PM
fibrochick76
fibrochick76  

Hi Judy Smile

Welcome to the group. Everyone here is so amazingly supportive!

I get headaches a few times each week, usually from my neck and stress. Many Fibro sufferers suffer with Migrains. I think it is always safest to speak with your doctor and get a medical opinion on these.

Best wishes that you get your headaches sorted out!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved