MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/30/2008 11:20 PM

Hard time breathing

cherryhdmom

I was wondering if anyone else has a hard time breathing normally at times? I don't mean like asthma, but, just feeling like you have to think about breathing. Maybe it is anxiety or something, but, right now it just feels like if I stop making myself breath I would suffocate! Help!Sad

07/01/2008 04:34 AM
tsage
tsage  

I sometimes catch myself holding my breath without knowing it, but it isn't as severe as your symptom. You should definitely talk to you doc about it.

07/01/2008 04:48 AM
mcbeth
mcbeth  

I can't say that I have that. I do notice that I have a hard time taking a deep breath. I agree with Lori, I would put a call into your doctor.

07/02/2008 01:26 PM
AutumnSunset
AutumnSunset  

I often have a hard time taking a deep breath - especially if I tired and trying to lay down and go to sleep. Usually end up in the recliner. Had this checked out several years ago, but nothing significant found.

I agree that a call to the doctor would be best. Don't mess around with the breathing.

One thing, taking pain meds can affect the breathing. Have you noticed a connection between increased pain meds and difficulty breathing?

07/02/2008 09:25 PM
recovered26
recovered26  

I can relate to what you are saying!

However, I have asthma too, so I don't know if it's asthma related or not.

07/04/2008 10:44 PM
cherryhdmom

Thanks for the input everyone! I know I should see a doctor, but I don't have insurance, and it seems like when I do go to a doctor they never find anything. I,m not on any kind of presription medicines. I'm just tired and frustrated about all this and don't know what to do, so I guess I'll just keep going.Sad cherryhdmom

07/04/2008 10:50 PM
kesslmama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

cherryhdmom,I know what you mean, sometimes it's like I have to think "breathe in,breathe out, almost like a reminder. I don't know what it's related to I just go with it and remind myself to breathe. Maybe it's the fibrofog,and it's just a really bad thing to forget.Ermm

07/05/2008 03:23 AM
Barbkubacki

I agree with you. I have to remember to breathe. All of a sudden I will let out a big sigh. My family freaks are you ok? Yes I was just remembering to breathe.

02/04/2010 04:58 PM
ashlbjackson

When I was younger I went through a period of about a year where I worried about breathing. Same as you, I was panicking that if I didn't make myself breath I would suffocate. I had to remind myself that it's an involuntary action and not to think about it. I usually tried to keep myself busy doing active things so I wouldn't have any time to think about it. At night though, I took a sleeping medication to help me fall asleep faster so I wouldn't lay there and worry. I tend to think that it was some form of anxiety or depression. It only went on for about a year, but sometimes I still think "Breathe in, Breathe out" but not as much and it doesn't worry me as much as it used to.

03/03/2010 12:33 AM
nDnIcon

Yes, I believe I have the same problem. Personally, I have discovered that there are certain foods that cause shortness of breath, even to the point where my throat gets stiff. These two things force me to speak using my throat rather than my diaphragm (seems uncontrollable), which makes me start thinking of my breathing. One thing I have noticed is that some physical activity seems to get rid of it. Maybe try and see how your body responds after eating your meals. That might help in identifying the problem. I can relate with some of the others in that the frequency of my problem has declined. However, I've always been a very content individual without asthma.

As always seeking advice from your doctor is definitely recommended.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved