MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/19/2009 05:27 AM

My hands feel like they're on fire and numb

prayin4sanity
prayin4sanity  

I get this burning fire feeling in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping in both hands and it radiates up my arm. It wakes me up. Today it took a good ten minutes for the burning, tingling sensation to subside. I sit up in bed, i move my arms trying to see if movement will take away the sensation. I even walk around. Do any of you get have this problem and if so what do you do to make it go away? I have been dealing with this 3-4 times a week for at least 3 months.

Also I've been on the cymbalta for a week now. I've had no nausea or bad side effects as far as I can tell. I actually do feel better. The pain in my legs and hips isn't as bad and I don't feel as stiff. When I wake up in the morning I'm no longer foggy. I'm clear headed and ready to go. It's amazing. I actually feel rested.

Here's wishing everyone a relaxing pain free weekend!Smile

12/19/2009 06:17 AM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Have you ever been tested for Carpal Tunnel or had any nerve conduction studies done?

I'm glad the med is working for you, let's hope it keeps up Smile

12/19/2009 10:21 AM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I agree with mammy.

I am very happy for you that meds are working.

Hugs

12/19/2009 11:40 AM
meglyle
meglyle  

I'm also on Cymbalta and, drum roll, my hands get soooo hot! When I was on a different anti-depressant, the same thing happened. When they get hot, I hold hands with my cold-handed husband or son or place them on a cold surface. For my family, it's a perk for their cold hands! Trying to look on the bright side... However, I'm sorry it's causing you pain.

03/16/2014 06:43 AM
Jr14

Please do not listen to her. You may do more damage to your hands. do not put your hands on cold surfaces, like ice or anything else like that ETC. your hands are not burning its just a sensation,no need for ice. also it has nothing to do with the medication you are taking. I've been dealing with this for 15 years.it is from doing work with your hands throughout the day, if you notice it happens when you are working with your hands the day before excessively. When you do at night time your hands get swollen and the blood flow to your hands stop. it would help at night to take An inflammatory, but when it happens and it wakes you up or when you wake up in the morning, all you have to do is get the blood back to circulating to your fingertips. Just move them around to get the blood flow back the burning sensation will go away.

03/16/2014 07:49 AM
amara1369
amara1369  

I get something similar to the burning, but my hands also cramp up so bad they're like claws, and it's usually when I do too much. Cold actually makes it worse Sad There were some exercises my rheumotologist taught me that helps, if I can get a scan in of the pictures, I'll post it. They're supposed to be done in the pool, like aqua therapy, but I find when I can't get to a pool, or during cold weather, if I can soak my hands in a deep enough container, and do the exercises, it helps. Tingling/burning sensation is normal with people with fibro.. especially in the "trigger points".

03/16/2014 07:52 AM
Fantod

I would consider being tested for carpal tunnel. It is one of the many "perks" that can be associated with Fibromyalgia. Call your local hospital and ask for the physician referral service. They should be able to match you up with an orthopedic doctor who specializes in CT. Take care.

03/16/2014 08:02 AM
LoneDove
LoneDove  

I can get a burning sensation like that in my hands and my feet. Once I went on Lyrica it didn't happen as much but it still will if I'm getting close to when I'm due for my next dose.

Always important to tell your doctor of all symptoms as you want to make sure it isn't something that can be fixed and not just a symptom of the CFS or FM.

03/16/2014 06:31 PM
Torres15
Torres15  
VIP Member

I wonder if you should talk to your doctor about having a higher dose of pain killer before bed? It might let you sleep through the night and feel better in the day, or even stop some of that pain. Something to think about anyway. Hope you find some answers.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved