MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/30/2008 08:25 PM

Got a question about muscle relaxers

pinkjw84
pinkjw84  

I was just wondering how many people who have fibro can make it without a muscle relaxer? Right now I'm taking lyrica 300mg a day, zoloft 50mg a day, propranalol 150mg a day, levothyroxine 50mcg a day, and I'm still in so much pain. My dr won't proscribe me narcotics bacause the last time I was on them I had a hard time getting off. I just started the lyrica a month ago so I'm sure it has to kick in more, but wow, the pain is really intense. I have nights that when I lay down in bed I can even relax my neck muscles. My husband is dead set against me taking a relaxer, but I don't know what I am going to do. The pain is getting to the point where it is almost maddening.

05/30/2008 09:19 PM
tsage
tsage  

I currently take 15 mgs of Mobic in the morning with vitamins and supplements, then 150 mgs of Lyrica and 10 mgs of Lexapro at dinner time, then Temazepam and calcium at night to help me sleep. This seems to be the right combination for me at the moment. You should take what you need to alleviate the pain, but be careful. I hope you feel better soon.

05/30/2008 10:27 PM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

HI.... I just started taking Mobic..... MY doctor gave me a bunch of samples.... and they seem to be helping......

Craig

05/31/2008 06:04 AM
JustAnnie
JustAnnie  

Hello there. Smile Well, I have been given flexeril for a muscle relaxer. I am suppose to take it 3 times daily as needed. I don't like the way I feel being on so many medications. On top of that, Im on neurontin, Prozac, Elavil, Topamax, Kolonopin,Verapamil(only because my blood pressure rises when I have a seizure).

I have found that if I push my body past what I think it is capable of doing, a little at a time, that suprisingly, although I ache, the excersize and being outdoors has made me feel a lot better then being layed up in the house.

I have a lot of other things going on with me besides fibro, however. In the last month and half I have been in 3 hospitals, Had 2 MRI's on the brain and spinal chord and had a lumbar puncture through radiology. I have been diagnosed with white matter disease, and have lesions on the brain. So, I still have yet to be told if I have multiple sclerosis or not or what is causing the demylenation of white matter.

I've been told that I am losing my memory. So its so hard to know if this is part of the "fibro-fog" I thought I was experiencing, or this is part of a whole new ball-game, and I feel like I am way out in left field.

You are the only person that knows just how far you can push yourself. Dont give up on yourself. Remember, you have fibro, it doesn't have to have you. Smile

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Gentle Hugs..

Annie

06/03/2008 08:27 AM
coffeebean
coffeebean  

I too was given Flexerill to take 3 times a day...but it makes me tired so I can only take it at bedtime. I have taken Mobic..but saw no change in pain. Glad it is working for you Craig.

06/03/2008 09:19 PM
Mydragonfly
Mydragonfly  

I have flexerill for 3x day. most of the time I only take 2x day. I have been taking them for so long that I have to take them with other meds to make me sleepy.

dragonfly

06/03/2008 10:26 PM
hipmama42
hipmama42  

I take Flexeril 10 mg 2 to 3 times a day, but at bedtime I take Zanaflex, which completely knocks me out for a few hours. I could not take this one during the day because it makes me extremely drowsy and dizzy, however, the Flexeril does not make me in the least sleepy or tired. Everyone seems to respond differently to the various muscle relaxants. The Flexeril helps some with my back muscle spasms and pain level. It also causes me to have dry mouth and constipation, so I'm always having to find ways to treat the side effects too, like chewing gum to keep my mouth moist, and eating a high fiber diet and occasionally have to use natural laxatives I get at health food store. When I first started taking it a few months ago, the Flexeril made me a bit "loopy" AND drowsy -- but my system has become used to it and I no longer get loopy or drowsy fromo it.

06/03/2008 10:42 PM
crazywonderful

I got so tired from the flexeril I had to stop taking it. Sleeping day and night. According to others that changes if you stay with it. The Lyrica totally helped me but what also helped immensely was plain old sodium naproxyn or alleve. I use temazepam on those nights when I can't sleep. I really like this as you can wake up any time and not have a foggy feeling. Don't forget the old warm bath or warm compress. I tried Skelaxin 800mg (a muscle) relaxant but it gave me a headache.Tramadol 50mg every 4-6 hours works good for me (muscle relaxant) Lyrica is more for nerve pain mostly not really for muscle. God Bless you JustAnnie. I will be praying for you. Your optimism is a blessing. I too have overcome many physical problems including an eighth month hospital stay and know what you are going through. PM me anytime.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved