MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/04/2012 09:57 PM

arthritis and muscle spasms

nembery
nembery  

so some of you know the doctor diagnosed arthritis in my right shoulder last time i saw him. could that be causing the spasms? the last few days have been BRUTAL with my shoulder. almost every time i move it it cracks and pops and on top of it i am having a wicked spasm at the shoulder blade (that IS the name of that part that pops out of your back when you move your shoulder right? damn that fog!) the spasm starts there and works up to the top of my shoulder. i am back to where i can't just let my arm freely hang. the pain is making me sick to my stomach and i can't sleep at night. my muscle relaxers have done zilch. could the popping and cracking from the arthritis be what's causing the spasms? i'm at a loss here. might i add that sometimes when i stop to think of it this illness makes me SO FREAKIN ANGRY!!!!! something is always killing me and as soon as one part of me gives it a rest another part picks it up. GRRRR!

09/04/2012 10:03 PM
isea
isea  

I'm so very sorry:'( Ouch VERY Ouch...I have authorities on my back extremely Ouch and I get spasms that knock the wind out of me! So myb it os somehow connected....either it Sux big time...try stretching and call ur doc in the a.m. sorry I'm not much help but I know the feeling:')

09/04/2012 10:18 PM
BlancaAg
BlancaAgPosts: 1712

Post edited by: BlancaAg, at: 01/01/2014 06:09 PM

09/04/2012 10:19 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I get a spasm in muscle that pulls your shoulder blade back to your spine after you reach forward or upwards. I think it's called the rhoimboid muscle. It can feel sometimes like someone's got a knife and is trying to scrape (not cut) that muscle away from the shoulder blade. It hurts SO MUCH!!

It might be arthritis, and it could just be spasms. I get spasms. Had to have cortisone shots in it before to get it to unlock. Tried putting a heating pad on it once and it locked so hard and so painfully that I came off the bed literally screaming.

You have my utmost sympathies!

09/04/2012 10:32 PM
nembery
nembery  

i seriously spend half the dang day trying to stretch it out. it hurts sooo bad but i just keep on pullin and nothing. the muscles are so tight around the base of my neck i can't pop it and that is pure h***. i have tried everything under the sun and it just doesn't want to work out. i actually received the cortisone injections a few months ago. made me sick as all get out for 3 days and the muscles knotted right back up. i did perfectly fine with the injections themselves for the most part. they even had to stick behind my ears and i was fine. but when that needle went in where i'm spasming right now they could hardly put any in because i almost started screaming. and i don't even WANT to call the doctors office! that stupid nurse is so rude and causes more problems than she helps. that is getting brought up at my next appointment. she never listens to what i tell her and then later tries to say that i never told her that (yes i did 10 times i have a witness!) and when the doctor says to call in a script she sends it to the wrong pharmacy every single time and then lectures me about having multiple pharmacies. well i'm SORRY i live in a crappy little town and we have no pharmacy and i'm too poor to make a special trip 40 minutes to pick a medicine when my mother could pick it up at a different store on her way home from work! can ya tell i'm a bit testy? lol

09/05/2012 02:59 AM
Herblady
Herblady  

So sorry your hurting....my neck and upper back muscles are ALWAYS hard like a rock...very, very tight....I go for massages and she works them out....but doesn't last for very long....use Flexeril at bedtime which helps a little...but...when it get really bad, I rub pure peppermint oil on the muscles....heat/cool effect and helps relax them for me....love that feeling when they finally let go for a few hours....hope you find somethng that works for you! Hugs...

09/05/2012 05:30 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I never had luck with the injections myself..I have all that and no artritist,I use the pain patches (salon pas) it helps but doesnt take it away.. I assume with me and maybe you all that popping and clicking are not helping the muscels feel good and can be what is causing the spasms..

hope you feel better soon,sorry Im no help.. one other thing is the rice sock because mine effects my kneck as well the sock seems to help with that.(I make mine not as heavy)

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved