MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/18/2009 04:34 PM

Feeling out of breath

Lazy1
Lazy1  

I'm not writing this to offend anyone. I just looking for honest replies, please.

I was fired from my job in 2001 and I've spent most of that time sitting on my couch. I don't leave the house for long periods of time, mostly grocery shopping and dr. appts. I do some yardwork like shovel snow and rake leaves.

I've gained a lot of weight since 2001. I wasn't exactly skinny then, but there is a large difference in my weight now. I don't eat a lot, I just am too tired or sore to do much. Plus, I've heard that meds cause weight gain also.

I do between 1 and 4 loads of laundry almost every day. My washer and dryer are in the basement. There's only about 12 steps going down. So, why am I winded when I come back upstairs?

Is it Fibro?

Laziness?

Weight Gain?

02/18/2009 04:37 PM
mellydramatic
mellydramaticPosts: 583

Things all work together. I'm sure a lot of it is just being out of condition. A little bit of activity every day along with monitoring your eating habits (limiting sugar and white flour) can go a long way! Good luck!

02/18/2009 04:51 PM
TinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Lazy, shortness of breath was my first presenting symptom. And I was in excellent physical condition at the time.

For me, it's gotten worse. Between the pain and the sob I can't even do the grocery shopping by myself anymore.

The main reason I have such a problem with showers is I get so out of breath. Truth be told, I lose my breath using the bathroom.

A lot of the other people on this site have sob issues, too. To varying degrees.

It has affected my weight tremendously. Between the pain and the shortness of breath I can't do much of anything. I even have shortness of breath just laying in bed. My breathing sounds like anything from a faint, distant whistle or whine to Mac truck struggling up a steep incline.

For me, my sob is accompanied by decreased oxygen levels. Sometimes it's as low as 80% even at rest.

Melly, I think you might just be one of the fortunate ones that don't have this particular symptom. You're very fortunate.

02/18/2009 04:56 PM
mellydramatic
mellydramaticPosts: 583

Thanks for the info Tina. Sometimes we're luckier than we know!

02/18/2009 05:13 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

Thanks Tina, I have to use a Pro-Air inhaler now when it gets bad. Showers always leave me short of breath, too. I think that it's from the steam because I like hot showers. Cold weather also affects me. I get winded just going out to get the dog if it's cold, windy, or snowing.

02/18/2009 05:20 PM
BelaBo

Lazy1, You sound like me. S.O.B is part of fm from what my doc told me. That is one of my first signs when I am running low on "spoons" too. I know it's time to stop. I get sob over the most ridiculous things like rolling over in bed. I'm overweight but come on.....I also just can't get a deep enough breath sometimes too. Try pulling a chair up to the dryer when you are folding, have different baskets for each person in the house, then have them grab their baskets and bring it upstairs to their rooms. You can put the clothes away when you are putzing around the house. At least the cloths are clean and ready to wear or put away. Listen to your body hon.

02/18/2009 06:09 PM
Iknowpain
Iknowpain  

I have to say this and please do not take offense bacause it is no way intended that way but I am having a lot of trouble forming my words today.

SOB was a big symptom for me in my early adult hood I was an exercise junkie because I swore I would never be obese like much of my family. At first I tried like hell to not let the SOB get in they way. I had fibro at this time but did not know it. I did know I was in a lot more pain then my exercise buddies and I spoke to my doc about the pain and SOB. His theory was too much exercise was causing pain and pain was causing SOB. I slowly cut back on the exercise and then when I was 25 I had a near fatal car accident where at one point they almost declared me dead. Because I also broke my back my exercise stopped and physical therapy began. I was having more pain now and not just in my back. I had previously suspected fibro and now I was convinced. I went to 3 different doctors to get diagnosed and all 3 agreed I had fibro plus a myriad of other crap. Physical therapy was now too painful and we were on to different therapies and drugs. The weight began to PILE on and even though I was no longer exercising I still had SOB. I am still fighting to lessen my pain and while I have had some success with both therapies and meds I am always searching things out and trying to get better. It has now been 10 years. I remember the right number when I tell it this way. Almost 2 years ago after researching, getting to know my body and trying every diet out there. I found a diet that I could modify to my new needs and make work. I have done so and lost 107 pounds. The more weight I lost the less SOB. My pain is also lessened greatly form what it was when I first discussed my pain and SOB with that doctor. Here is my theory and it is only my theory so take it for what it is worth. I believe both extreme pain and weight cause SOB. I should also mention that one of my therapists taught me breathing exercises that I do daily as well as similar to Lamaze breathing when I am in major pain because my reflex was to breath shallow or hold my breath while in pain. I believe these 3 things, Breathing exercises, losing weight,and decreasing pain are why I no longer have big problem with SOB. JMO If any of you think I might be able to help you please feel free to send me a pm.

02/20/2009 11:14 AM
fesup
fesupPosts: 3851
VIP Member

Hi one, (I refuse to call you Lazy)

I was diagnosed with allergies, right after I started having SOB and exhaustion. Then I found out I have COPD, and asthma. MY allergist said I only had 30% lung compacity. I stay congested all the time. I also have sinutsis all the time. Allergies! kicked my butt. Out of breath constantly. Just wondered if you have ever been tested? I yawn alot, which I hear is a sign of low oxygen.

Also I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and a disorder they call "daytime sleepyness". It's almost nacolepsy, but you don't fall into rem sleep when tested.

Sleep deprived, I'm tired all the time, no energy at all. and always short of breath.

Post edited by: fesup, at: 02/20/2009 11:16

02/20/2009 08:46 PM
KayDesigner

Oh wow, this is right up my alley. SOB is awful for me. I don't know what it is like to be up and walking without breathing through my mouth anymore. It takes me forever to eat because it sometimes gets so hard to breathe. Not to mention that just fixing something to eat gets me SOB, so I have to sit there for 10 minutes just to catch my breath. It's exhausting.

I often wondered what my oxygen level is at times. I never had it checked. I am sure that is probably my next step in all of this. Now if I can just get my pulse to stop racing.

02/20/2009 09:01 PM
amommy02
amommy02  

It is probably a combination of things, but laziness is not one of them. While our bodies get bigger, our heart and lungs stay the same size. The more you weigh the harder your heart and lungs have to work to supply your body with oxygen. I know I'm starting to have to hold my breath to tie my shoes again. I don't like it one bit either. But it also has fibro contributing to it because there are others who aren't as fluffy as the rest of us who have shortness of breath too.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved