MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/05/2010 02:11 PM

Fibromyagia and Weight Gain

Lupichi
Lupichi  

Medications are good but they do make you gain weight and it is hard to lose it I take Lyrica and since i've been taking ti a gained about 30 pounds and i dont eat alot and i try to walk everyday if i am not so much in pain so yes medications for Fibro are good to take the edge of the pain away but for sure it makes you gain weight...Dizzy

05/05/2010 05:44 PM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

I put myself on a 1500 cal diet with,500 cal for crackers or Fuzes if I am going nuts.....I have gotten used to this diet and lost almost all the 125 pounds I gained on Lyrica, and I do feel better, but unfortunetly I couldn't convince my doc to let mw have Lyrica back.....It really worked for me.

Neurontin is OK its better than nothing but by the end of the day I can not move anything without hurting....I can take medications soon so that will help!

when you hurt it is hard to exercise...I ride my bike whenever I can....now that it isn't raining I will do it a lot more......like every day! help burn of that fat.....since I am used to the diet I will continue and loose the 15 pounds I was already over weight.

But you are right, Lupichi!

05/05/2010 06:11 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello Lupichi,

Welcome to our group ~~~

I am starting my third year on Lyrica and it works for me pretty well .

I did gain about 15# the first month or so but then it tapered off on its' own and I haven t had a change in weight either way.

I get more than my (personal) share of walking as am on my feet all day at work . I occasionally take walks with a neighbor and sometimes (now that weather is better) will take an evening bike ride.

I tried Neurontin for a short period of time and noticed no difference but PCP just last week added Cymbalta with my Lyrica and I can honestly say that I notice a major difference in energy and well-being.

Marilyn

05/05/2010 06:51 PM
bittersweetlife

I think some do, and then again some don't. I think its important to keep track and eat a balanced diet. At times, a little weight gain is beyond our control, but I think we can try to keep working at it.

05/05/2010 08:30 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I gained 15 lbs on Lyrica but took it off when I went on Cymbalta. I've been gaining steadily lately but it's because I'm actually allowing myself to cmfort eat, pigging out on stuff I'd normall eat once a week......every day. On days when I feel less depressed, I eat less. If I'm really stressing or depressed, I eat more.

05/06/2010 06:19 AM
faroutback

My weight gain started when I began with fibro. My activity slowed down, I began to eat to console myself (still have attacks of that!), but I lost weight and have managed to remain fairly stable. None of my weight gain is due to Lyrica, which I've taken for a couple of years now, but my sensation is that Lyrica alters your appetite something fierce--makes you actually hungry, not just craving junk food as a comfort device. I still have more weight to lose, but it isn't Lyrica that caused me to gain, I did that with no help at all, thank you very much! Smile

05/19/2010 12:32 PM
ehall
ehall  

I totally agree. I have gained so much that I am almost twice what I was. I can't even stand to look in the mirror anymore.

Ehall

05/19/2010 12:46 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

My tdoc has me writing down every bite of food I eat and looking it up online (there are a million online calorie counters). I've found that it takes the fun out of mindless junk food munching if I have to add 600 calories to my day's total for inhaling a piece of cake. You find less fattening alternatives pretty fast.

Peanut butter on apples and grapes have become my junk food favorites...altho I'm still going to eat that 600 calorie piece of cake once a week or so.

My goal is to stay under 2200 calories per day. I do it most days. I'm back to doing my stretches and walking if it's not raining. This being Oregon, I don't get a chance to walk very often!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved