MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/25/2010 09:53 PM

Sulfa allergy and Cymbalta

Lu2553
Lu2553  

I was recently prescribed Cymbalta and was planning on starting it on Tuesday. I started reading about it and realized that it's a sulfa based drug and now I'm hesitant to start it.

Does anyone know if you have an allergy to sulfa; is the amount in Cymbalta enough to cause a reaction? (sorry, I dont know if that makes sense).

Has anyone WITH an allergy to sulfa taken Cymbalta? If so, did you have any reactions?

Thanks!

Lu

03/26/2010 12:04 PM
Lu2553
Lu2553  

thanks! my doc office is closed,i'm going to call the pharmacy now. My doc knows i'm allergic to sulfa. I'll let you know what pharm says.

Lu

03/26/2010 12:14 PM
Lu2553
Lu2553  

The pharmacist said that she didn't see anything that says if you're allergic to sulfa that you shouldn't take cymbalta. I think it was the same woman that caught the interaction with tramadol and savella too.

I'm going to give it a try and I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

If anyone else has any input, I'd be more than happy to hear it!

Thanks!!!

<3

Lu

03/27/2010 10:27 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi, Lu! Welcome to the group!

I don't have a sulfa allergy (I am allergic to aspirin and NSAIDs) but i do take Cymbalta, and it's been great for me! I hope it's just as good for you - Jeni

03/28/2010 06:50 AM
Lu2553
Lu2553  

Jeni~

Thats great that you found something that works for you! How many mgs and x's a day do you take it? Do you know about how long it took for you to find what works for you? How long have you been on it? Do you prefer to take it in the am or pm, does it make you drowsy or hyper at all?

Sorry!! That was 1,000 questions! =S I just started Cymbalta on Saturday (yesterday). I'm anxious for something that can help ONE of the billion symptoms, even if it only works 4%, I dont care! it's still some relief! Oh! Do you know how long meds take to get in your system? I got sick (threw up) the same day I started it. Coincidence, you think?

Thank you!

Have a good day of rest!

04/08/2011 11:29 AM
michelefree

HI! This is my first post.

I am very allergic to sulfa drugs. I take Cymbalta successfully with no problems.

04/08/2011 02:04 PM
happycampc

Hi Michele, Welcome to the family!! Glad you joined us here, there are many wonderful and supportive people here that really do understand what you are going through. Join in wherever you like. I am allergic to sulfa as well, makes me very sick. Glad you are able to take the Cymbalta with no problems. Look forward to getting to know you! If you have time under the forum tab is a category for Introductions, would be great if you can write a little post about yourself there. This is how others know that we have a new member. Thanks, Ann Smile

04/08/2011 07:47 PM
Wintersnow

I am VERY allergic to sulfa and I have taken Cymbalta without any problems. but, if you have doubts check with your pharmacy before starting.

Post edited by: Wintersnow, at: 04/08/2011 07:50 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved