MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/26/2011 09:42 PM

Introduction

artistlady

Hi, there! I'm a "new member" and posted a very brief message when I first logged in. I will be 58 years old in November and have been completely thrown by the fibromyalgia symptoms and pain. Almost eleven years ago, I was in a car accident. Since then, tests have shown that I have several compression fractures in my spine and my rheumatologist made a half-hearted diagnosis of fibromyalgia earlier this year.

My Dad has had lupus for about ten years now and my uncle had it too, but had been misdiagnosed and had so much organ damage that he died (unusual in these times). Therefore, my doctor tests me for lupus periodically.

I am married to a wonderful man(second time for both of us)and our eleventh wedding anniversary was in May. He has five grown children and I have three grown children. We also have in total 17 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. My husband's oldest great-grandson just graduated from high school. My husband is retired and will be 83 in February, 2012. Needless to say, just family events keep us busy! My three grandchildren are young - the two girls are almost one and four, and the boy is seven.

I am an artist and art teacher and fully enjoy spending time in my studio, both creating my own art and teaching art courses for both children and adults. I also teach at our local arts centre and in community groups (e.g. seniors). About halfway through this year, I stopped teaching half of my courses, as I just cannot do what I could before experiencing this severe pain. My beautiful gardens have suffered too.

I am working on four paintings to exhibit in an art show and sale next month, and then I will be preparing for another solo art show to be held in the spring. Please don't say that I am a glutton for punishment! I love it and I can't imagine what a downer my life would be without art and students.

My family doctor has prescribed some Elavil (Amnitripyline) at one point but I am very sensitive to some medications, and I was like a zombie and became unable to function at all. I disposed of those and the pain became so severe that again, I went to the doctor (this week) and he prescribed Lyrica, one before bedtime each day for a week, and then twice per day after that. We'll see how that works out.

I told the doctor about the pain in my legs causing one of them to buckle under me, and he said that using a cane would be a good idea, as I have had several falls. So . . . now I am using a cane. I read that it takes about 40% of the stress off joints, too. I go back to see the doctor in three weeks.

Just this week, I bought a Bed Buddy wrap which was delivered today and I used it for the first time this evening. It can be heated in the microwave or chilled in the freezer, and provides moist heat for sore areas of the body. A friend of mine has one and I found one on the website, well.ca.

Well, I know that I've rambled on a lot but I wanted to give you some background and I am going to try hard to participate in discussion on this site, as I really believe it will be good for me.

I was really suffering today as my right foot was too sore to walk on (in addition to all the other) and it was more than a little discouraging. However, I do my best not to get down about all this and do my best to remain positive. Thanks for listening to me today. I'll be thinking of all of you this week. Better go before this book gets any longer!

09/27/2011 07:42 AM
Wintersnow1

Nice to meet you, Artistlady. Welcome to our family. We are a chatty bunch so chime in anytime!

09/27/2011 07:43 AM
happycampc

Welcome to the Fibro Challenges family Artistlady!!! So happy to have you here, sorry that you are suffering with the dreaded Fibro though. I think it's wonderful you are showing your art! Would love to see some of your work sometime. I so wish I had the talet for it myself. There are wonderful, supportive and caring people here that really do understand what you are going through, many have multiple conditions. I myself deal with a back condition, burcitis in my hips and chronic pain and a few other things. Looking forward to getting to know you, just jump in and join us in the forum. Hugs, Ann Smile

09/27/2011 07:43 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Welcome Artistlady!! You and I have some things in common and I will try to send you a pm later on and let you know what they are! I am so sorry that you have been diagnosed with fibro and I hope that they Lyrica works for you. Don't get down if it doesn't work for you. Sometimes they will add another drug to Lyrica, or start all over again. But try to keep your chin up. Being recently diagnosed, you are probably still in shock and disbelief and you certainly have the right to feel that way. Everyone reacts differently.

I admire your love for your art, but am sorry that you did have do lessen the load of your teaching. That is one of the discouraging problems with fibro. I sincerely admire your stamina with your art, and showings. It says a lot about the kind of person you are.

It is my pleasure to welcome you to our "fibro family", you have just joined the best group around, and we are, just like family. I hope you get as much out of this wonderful "family" as I do. It's a special group, and you will never be judged or questioned in an unkind way. So, I hope you will kick back, relax and make yourself at home here. Also, please feel free to send me a pm anytime you would like to.

You are getting this much later than I started it. I got company, and several phone calls and some laundry, oh dinner and my snack before I go to bed because I am an insulin dependent diabetic. Getting ready for night time insulin injections.

Again, I am so happy that you have decided to join us, I think you will find it very helpful.

Warm, caring and understanding hugs~

Christine

09/27/2011 08:10 PM
hedap

Hi artistlady,

I'm glad you told us a little about your life. Art. Wow! I can't even draw stick people. I am in awe. Would love for you to attach pics of some of your projects. Sounds like you have a wonderful family. I'm glad that you have adopted a positive attitude, that is what I have been working on recently. I agree with Christine about Lyrica and meds. Sometimes it takes awhile to find out what works and doesn't. Hang in there if it's not for you, bc there are other options.

So sorry you're having pain. Adjusting our lives to adapt around fibro can be a challenge. It's so important to hang on to the things we can do that give us joy.

Nice meeting you. I'm looking forward to your posts.

heather

ps hope your solo goes well and you get lots of turnout and buyers.

09/28/2011 07:16 AM
mjk5309

hi artistlady,

i am also another artistlady Smile

i am 30 years old, showing my work in a show right now til the end of the year, hopefully a few of them make some nice christmas gifts Laughing

even if i dont sell them, i feel accomplished in showing.

anyway, i wanted to say hi, and welcome you to our group. this is a super helpful group and they are such sweet people.

i hope you can keep teaching some of your courses and keep up with your artwork, as time goes by. i have let my art go by the wayside for the past couple of months, i created some in june, then nothing since, i did start one about a month ago, but havent done much of anything to it since then. i also suffer from bipolar d/o which keeps me from doing a lot of things i should, its hard enough to keep a house (2 br apartment, rather) and go to work 28 hours a week.

do you have a website with any of your artwork on it? i do its on my profile.

hope to see you out and about in the forums soon.

hugs

megan

09/28/2011 11:29 AM
butterfly9
butterfly9  

Hi Artistlady! Welcome to the group. You and Megan and I also have something in common. I'm an artist too! I've been painting and drawing since I was a small child and went to an arts high school and then onto a private arts college. Art was my life. I ate, breathed, and slept it! Wink So, now I don't do it as much mainly because of financial reasons. But, I definately want to start again. Maybe we can all post some of our work. Megan, I saw your figures and they are very cool.

It's so great that you teach art (something I've always wanted to do) and I admire that you show as well. It takes commitment to make pieces for the public.

Anyways, sorry you have the pains of Fibro. I know it is not easy. I know we can all sympathize with you.

Hope you keep up the good work with the rest of your classes and good luck at show! SmileKeep us posted!!!

09/28/2011 07:05 PM
gz55

welcome artistlady! you've just find the greatest support group ever ~ sorry it was because of that dang fibro monster. be patient with the meds and anything else that you try. it took me years to find the right "cocktail" and other things that help with the pain. hope to see you around!

09/29/2011 12:46 PM
STRENUBA

Yes, welcome, we are all here for each other and I think you will be impressed with all the support you will receive here, as I have. Don't be shy, post any time.

Huggs

STRENUBA

09/29/2011 04:07 PM
NaomiHyde
NaomiHyde  

Welcome

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved