MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/21/2009 01:12 PM

How many of you have been a caregiver?

jenn36
jenn36  

I have noticed in a few threads that people are either family caregivers or professional caregivers. I was a nurses aide for 10 years. I worked in nursing homes, rehabs, hospitals, assisted living and home care.

I loved my job but it does a emotional and physical number on you. Thought it would be interesting to see.

Hugs,

Jenn

04/21/2009 01:40 PM
Dixie4me
Dixie4me  

raises hand....but not as a professional. It is extremely emotional and physical!

04/21/2009 02:43 PM
lovingyoungwife

I'm a full time caregiver...but not as a professional, for my husband who has Alzheimer's and a list of other things.

04/21/2009 05:32 PM
jenn36
jenn36  

Sorry to hear that lovingyoungwife. My dad had early onset Alz. and passed last June 28th. It runs in my family. If you ever need to talk you can PM me anytime.

Hugs,

Jenn

04/21/2009 05:50 PM
cindyl
cindyl  

I'm sorry to hear that lovingyoungwife. I have a mother with alz too. She is so hard to deal with from time to time. She is in assisted living and its really hard to go see her there. I'm not able to take care of her here at home. I have 2 teenagers and a full time job. She wanted to go to the assisted living. She knew we couldn't take care of her any more..

04/21/2009 06:36 PM
lovingyoungwife

Thanks. It's been a little over 6 years since he was dignosed. Just in the last few months he has begun to get worse. It is really getting harder to cope. As you well know stress can really make the pain of Fibro worse. My love for him is all that keeps me going sometimes, just sheer willpower. But I can't give up, he needs me. I tried putting him in a Alzheimer's unit here a while back and it just didn't work out. I think he would not be here today if I had left him there.

04/21/2009 06:56 PM
cindyl
cindyl  

You need to take care of yourself too. Its hard to watch them decline. I'm sure you know that. I don't know how you do it. I don't know how I would do it if mama had to come here. She is in a wheel chair most of the time. She walks some but most of the time she is in her chair. I pray you get a good nights rest. Hugs Cindy

04/21/2009 07:51 PM
Dixie4me
Dixie4me  

I'm sorry too. Have you thought about getting some help? YOu have to take care of you to be able to take care of him the way you want to.

Hugs,

~dixie

04/22/2009 10:30 AM
pkayjo
pkayjo  

I am working at an Assisted Living as a CNA/CMA anywhere between 36 and 40 hrs a week. In between days off I usually end up in the ER for morphine shots and spend the next day in bed. I love my job. I have been working for the nursing home for 4 years now and I really care alot for the ones I take care of. I have cried so many times because I get really attached. I am in pain 24/7 but I have so many bills to pay and am a single mom of 2 boys. I dont have any other option.

04/28/2009 03:20 PM
Auriel
Auriel  

I cared for my husband who had degenerative heart disease and a list of other diseases that all lead to an increase in dementia. It was really hard to watch him slowly go down hill. Fortunately he passed before he became too mentally impaired. I miss him terribly and can empathize with anyone who is in the same situation.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved