MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/26/2012 07:50 AM

Dealing With the Pain

Annelle
Annelle  

I'm sitting at my desk in pain in my back, side and chest. I took my morning meds and it's not going away.

The next step for pain meds would be narcotics. But can you function and drive, and work on narcotics?

Or do I just sit quietly in pain and wait for the day to be over?

Thoughts?

04/26/2012 08:17 AM
parentof3

I feel your pain because I too work and deal with alot of pain. I think it would be best to ask your doctor about what meds it would be ok to take when working. Narcotics can affect your ability to function normally. I don't know what kind of work you do but I would try an OTC med first. I pray that the pain lessens quickly and that you get the relief you need to finish your work day!

04/26/2012 09:31 AM
River
River  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

annelle, I admire you fibromites who are still working. I sing praising to you. I agree with parentof3. I would certainly talk with my doctor before working with narcotics.Thnak good ness when I could still work I didn't need pain meds....I was a paramedic. That would not have worked

I hate it your in so much pain , I hope and your doctor can find something that is right for you.

I give you a very warm welcome to the group so happy you found us. This is the most loving supportive,and caring group. Let us know how it works out for you.

HUGS River

04/26/2012 09:40 AM
cscwem
cscwem  

I would talk to your doctor. I take 2 pain pills a day and have for several months, one in the morning and one broke in half in the afternoon and the other half before bed. So I have been able to function since I have been taking them. I don't even wait till the pain is at the highest level to take them, I fight it off before it gets there, except in the mornings of course. But I know everybody is different so I would definitely talk to your doctor and I salute you for being able to work still Smile

04/26/2012 11:30 AM
missyme
missymePosts: 2160
Group Leader

hi annelle ~ is this your usual pain? if not, i would have that checked out. could be something more than the fibro.

if it is your regular fibro pain, i would try to manage the fibro better. talk to your doc about a change in meds ~ i pmed you that formula that you asked for.

and no, absolutely not! you should not sit there quietly in pain! you need to be proactive in your pain management. i know sometimes it seems that it will never get better but there is hope.

you must keep trying to find what works for you.

do you have a doc knowledgeable about fibro? if not, try to find one or try to educate the one you have!!!

please let us know how you're doing.

hugs and love......................

04/26/2012 01:59 PM
Annelle
Annelle  

The pain is stronger than usual, but I've gotten it before. Not sure what triggers it but I've been feeling it for about a week. I don't have insurance right now, so I'll only go into the Dr. if I'm dying...which is a lot of pain for us with Fibro, right?

04/26/2012 04:46 PM
missyme
missymePosts: 2160
Group Leader

yes, you're right ~ we fibromites learn to deal with a lot of pain. more so, i believe than those who don't have chronic pain but...........

i'm just concerned for you. is there a clinic or something like that in your area that you could go to? just to get it checked out?

and if everything checks out and it is a fibro thing, sometimes your doc can give you something for the breakthrough pain.

keep us posted dear.

hugs.......

04/26/2012 06:38 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hi Annelle~

It's good to see you, but I am sorry that you are suffering so much. I have a similar pain that you do, but it is on both sides of my body and is usually (in my case) costochondritis and problems with my intestines. I have three different bowel diseases, 2 are pretty common, but one is rare in my age, and especially at the age I was diagnosed.

About taking pain meds at work, I fortunately no longer work and am on disability, and I am also 59 years old, much older than you I am sure after seeing your picture. I think at the very last week of employment, I was in horrible pain and I took a low dose narcotic right before noon, but I wouldn't recommend it unless your doctor approves it. I recently saw something on TV that showed that if you are pulled over by police and are found to have a narcotic in your system, it is considered to be driving drunk, so I definitely wouldn't take it before getting in the car to go home.

I too wondered what kind of doc you were seeing and I am sorry that you don't have insurance. I saw what missy suggested, and I agree with her and might add a hospital emergency room if the pain is really severe and out of the norm, as meant with no dx for it, which you do not have a dx for. Hope this helps some.

Hugs~

Christine

04/27/2012 05:55 AM
Annelle
Annelle  

Feeling much better this morning. Still have some side pain, but nothing as severe as yesterday. What a difference a day makes! Thanks for all your concern! I'm working on getting some kind of insurance or something so I can see a Dr. more often. The really sad thing is if I made like $200.00 less a month I would be qualified for state insurance. Sheesh! Thanks again everyone!

04/27/2012 07:04 AM
parentof3

So glad you are feeling better! Hopefully you will be able to get some insurance real soon. I understand how hard it is to deal with this disease without being able to get the help you need. I pray that all works out well and that you find what works for you to help you get out of pain!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved