MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/02/2011 11:59 AM

It feels so great to help others!

smartgrandma

Happy Sunday everyone!

I hurt a lot and my body is wiped out but for a great reason. Yesterday, we had to get out of our home so that our realtor could show it, so Mike, Isabelle our Yorkie and I went for a ride. Mike decided to travel down a street in a nearby town "because" we've never been on that street before (but I think we had some heavenly guidance to go down that road). A few miles down that road, we came upon a roll-over (car accident) with no emergency personnel at the scene yet. The 20-year-old driver had dragged himself out of the upside down wreck and was sitting at the side of the road. We, of course, stopped to help and I identified myself as a retired emergency medical technician and began helping the injured young man. Discovering that he had a neck injury, I then held traction on his cervical spine for the next 40 minutes (I was in an ackward position as I gently held his head by each of his ears and held it steady so that he would not move his head or neck) until a cervical collar was placed around his neck and he was stabilized, held still, on a long board to transport him to the hospital by the EMS crew (that arrived at the scene about 1/2 hour after I had begun treating him). Fortunately, he was the lone occupant. Mike stayed busy turning the traffic around the now closed down road. It brought back so many memories of how much I loved volunteering as an EMT, but also of my car accident that turned my fibromyalgia into high gear for life. I can't help but wonder if he will also have to share his life with fibro like the rest of us. I pray that he won't. So, today, I have a really good reason for my fibro flaring up, my arms feeling dead. I am so grateful for the reminder of how great it feels to help others.Tongue

Have a wonderful week everyone!

Gentle hugs,

Donna

10/02/2011 12:28 PM
happycampc

Donna, what a wonderful thing you did helping that young guy. You were meant to be in that place at that time. So kind of you and I know it hurt you but so glad you were there to help. I hope and pray that he doesn't have to deal with the same fate as us (fibro). You were his angel that day. Hugs, Ann Smile

10/02/2011 02:35 PM
Wintersnow1

Wow! What a wonderful story. So glad that you were there to help the young man. It was meant for you to be there. Fingers crossed on selling the house.

Hugs.

10/02/2011 04:42 PM
River
River  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello, I am so happy you shared with us. I will pray for the young man and surely hope that this trauma does not bring him fibro. HUGS River

10/02/2011 06:42 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Donna,

You were certainly on that road at that time for a reason. Someone sent you down that road for a reason, and that reason was to help that young man in distress.

This is certainly a heartfelt story, and I applaud you for stopping. There are people that are frightened to stop and help someone, because of the turmoil this country is in.

I am very proud of you, it shows that there are some very wonderful, caring people in this worls.

Hugs~

Christine

10/03/2011 01:48 PM
smartgrandma

Thank you so much for your heartfelt words. You have lifted me up today!

Gentle hugs,

Donna

10/04/2011 08:44 AM
deigratia
deigratia  

Donna,

That is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing that with us. God sent you to that young man. May God bless & reward you for that beautiful act of charity.

~gratia~

p.s.- I am hoping though that you feel better soon Dizzy

10/04/2011 11:58 AM
smartgrandma

Thank you so much!! We're convinced that God did guide us to help him, too. Mike and I believe that we are all here to do God's work and His will. It's just up to us to "hear" what it is.....going with our gut instinct is following messages from heaven directed to each of us. We pray every day for God's guidance and for Him to make us "instruments of His peace". It's so great to have a purpose in life, even with our physical challenges. Your kind words mean so much to me. Thank you, thank you!

Gentle hugs,

Donna

10/04/2011 09:16 PM
hedap

Donna,

What a wonderful experience, you may have saved a young man from years of debiliting consequences. I know what you mean about missing that feeling of being able to help others. My personal passion is reading, but helping others is always more rewarding than anything. What a caring person you are!

heather

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved