MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/05/2011 11:55 AM

Does anyone else get chest pains?(page 2)

kdgonz
kdgonz  

hahahaha, okay this really isn't funny, but kinda is, since we were just talking about it, The medical clinic just called to re-schedule my appointment. They moved my appt to the first of May. I told them about the chest pains and they just told me to go to the ER next time it happens. I assured them I would. I just thought that not an hour after posting, I get a call to move my appt further away, is kinda funny. I'm a little crazy though, blame it on the fibro......... Smile

-Kristen

04/06/2011 04:14 PM
nkier

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. I had a horrible episode of Panic Disorder. For the most part, these episodes are reduced. I am starting to have an episode just by talking about it. I hopw it goes away soon. I am also under a lot of stress so I am not too surprised. I guess I need to stop thinking about this. Funny enough, coloring with pencils and Disney coloring books with help this to go away.

I continue with the Costochondritis. I find the heating pad helps me the most. My upper ribs in my back are really sore when I get up in the morning. Do most Fibro patients find that this is chronic. The Internet said it can last up to 6 mos. It sounds like this is chronic by the casual oonversation I have had so far with other inidividuals. I would love to hear from others as to whether it is more common for this to be chronic or resolves after time. Thanks. So far I have had mine for many months but I would need to talk with my doc to find out when this started.

It is good to have the heart evaluated since any time I have called on these issues, the first question is if I have had a recent heart evaluation. It helps to be able to know it is benign but unformfortable.

Hugs...Nickie Dizzy Dizzy

04/06/2011 08:50 PM
happycampc

Nickie, I have had a few episodes of severe pain below my chest but not sure if it's the same thing. If so then it wasn't consistant just every once in a while. Maybe someone else will have some info. Hugs, Ann Smile

04/06/2011 09:07 PM
debhurts
debhurts  

Hi nick, it may be time to see a cardiologist and have a workup, it saved my life, but my story is not typical, with anxiety can come cheat pain also, with fibro, we have a bundles of nerve in our chest area, and our breast tissue has nerves in it , as long as you dont feel pressure, pain radiating or pain in the back, sweats , nausea, or shoulder pain that is sharp and radiates down the arm, a good thing is to take an asprin immediately and move you arm to see if a different position stops it, if so then u are ok, but none of this overrides getting into the er or a heart dr. asap, women heart attacks are different then mens so it may just be vague or somewhat sharp, and thats it , this is why it is so important to see a dr. stat. always take an asprin it could save your life, and chew it nomatter how nasty it is chew it so it absorbs quickly into the bloodstream, i had vague chest pains and my heartbeat was a slow beat , that was it and i was dying, i went by ambulance and i had an angiogram they found cardiomyopathy and i take pills 2xs a day to stay alive so see it was very very vague hardly any symptomology, thank God for nitro and ambulances my husbands cardiologist was there and got me in the cath lab immmediately, so you should always take chest pain seriously and this is for all, don't think you'll have symtoms like you see on tv grabbing your chest feeling like an elephant is on your chest, it just is not like this for women, also you can have a little difficulty breathing, so these i hope will help, it is serious, always get to a hospital, and if it's nothing well good, better safe than sorry, love to all, Debi

04/07/2011 09:35 PM
nkier

Deb,

Thanks for giving some more details and really describing the life saving response systems we can take. The thing that scares me the most is that a women's heart attack is almost undescribable but a man's is more classic. So you said if the pain goes away by moving your arms after you chew the aspirin to see if it stops it, then it is ok if the pain goes away. For mine, moving my arms with my rib pain causes it to get worse. Periodically I get sharp pains that will either come and go quickly or others that will stay around for a good amount of time. This rib pain makes it even harder to know what to do about the chest pain. I guess if you have never had it before, it is best to have it evaluated. The hospital would memorize my name, date of birth, address, emergency contact, their telephone number, etc, if I went in with all the chest pains I get. My start of this was in my back shoulder blade and ended with a severe rib spasm that I could barely breathe through but it subsided after I waited, tried to drive to the hospital, called an ambulance and then I held under my breast for the trip there and then by the time the doc came in, I was feeling so much better. For a while, coughing and sneezing really hurt a lot. I woke up with my pain and it usually comes on during the night if it is a specific rib.I read this some where. W00t How confusing can this be????? Why us???? Nickie Whistling

04/07/2011 10:09 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I am with Debi all the way. Never assume your pain is costochondritis, I have that in the same place that Nickie gets it, however you cannot take a chance. Between having asthma, cosochondritis, fibro etc., I alway thought my pain was due to one of those. I've had numerous heart tests done, every kind of stress test they have, echo cardiogram, EKG, you nam it, I've had it~EVERYTHING CAME BACK NORMAL, then one night in the middle of the night, I woke up at 3 am to chest pains and a pain that went down my left arm, down to my elbow. I had a doctor appointment, so like a dummy, I chewed a baby aspirin and the pain went away. (if it had happened again, I would have chewed another aspirin and gone to the doc. The next day, my cardiologist (for another heart problem) did a brand new state of the art test at the hospital I was in. That night, doc called me and told me to pack my clothes, I was going in for open heart surgery. I panicked like never before. He said that I had two bad blockages, they were both called widow makers, meaning if you have a heart attack, you will definitely die. I was lucky, someone was watching over me, and I didn't have to have the open heart surgery, but got two stents put in the arteries. I AM NOT A PHYSICIAN, BUT EVERYONE I KNOW PERSONALLY WAS NOT DIAGNOSED WITH HEART BLOCKAGES UNLESS THEY HAD THIS TEST OR A CARDIAC CATHERIZATION. I would NEVER take a chance any other way. Like I said, I am not a doctor, but I could give you several examples including my husbands cardiac surgeon that had the same thing happen to him. The only way his blockage showed up was on a cardiac cath, and then, not only did he have blockages, but he needed new valves. The strange thing about all this is that the doc's father had just died after having a massive heart attack (there was no knowledge of heart problems in the family then) so a brother from out of town came to Michigan for the funeral, his brother the cardiac doc asked him to call when he got home. He did call when he got home and while speaking with his brother the doc, the brother died of a massice heart attack. So....our doc decided to do all the tests. Nothing showed on the stress test or any other test. He found out he had blockages when they did his cardiac cath and found out he need to heart valves too. Today he lives a healthy life due to the tests he had done after his dad and brother passed away. He is getting ready to reire at a fairly young age, to take time to smell the flowers. PM me if you have any questions, I urge anyone to go over to the cardiac heart disease group as well. I am trying to get that group active, because not enough information is known about this. Right now there are only a few active members including me, but this is a very important part of your life, listen and take notice. It could save your life.

Hugs~

Christine

04/07/2011 10:31 PM
nkier

Christine,

Thanks for your information too. I can't believe how difficult it is for us so it makes sense to join the other group too. I forgot, but I can have an asthma attack if I am sick so there are so many ways of having problems. Since my father had a genetic heart valve problem, I have gone through many, many tests. I guess this shows I can't stop now and I need to keep up with everything. It is most confusing when the ribs are always sore so if I have chest pain, I always have rib pain but as you describe, it does not mean I am out of the risk of a heart issue. The ER can blow this off at times without doing enough tests and once you mention panic, anxiety, depression, and the rib cage isue, they don't always follow through. It is frustrating. Hugs to all and safe times for all...Nickie

04/08/2011 02:02 PM
mikesangel
mikesangel  

Best of luck Kristen! Keep us posted Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved