MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/16/2010 05:22 PM

Exercise?

suebrr

Can anyone tell me of an exercise program they have used that works for them. The Doctor tells me to exercise?? I try to walk and usually end up missing work the next day. I used to walk regularly but, can't afford to take the chance of missing work because I spent 10-15 minutes walking. I have tried walking 5 minutes and working up to 10 or more. I seem to be gaining on it and then boom can't do it without having a bad flare up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Silly

08/16/2010 08:02 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello Sue and welcome to our small family! Personally, I do yoga every other night. I'm not talking about incredibly complex poses here, just basic stretching. You can get some good DVDs that will teach you how to do it. Yoga Zone makes good ones, I think they even have one for arthritis that would be excellent for beginner "fibromites". The stretching has helped me tremendously. Also, I do a lot of walking at work, about an average of 4-6 miles in an 8 hour shift. But at first that was very difficult to get used to.

08/17/2010 08:50 AM
gz55

welcome, sue! exercise is great for us fibromites but can also be very difficult to do because of the aftermath! like naddya said, gentle stretching is great. i found i can tolerate a little more activity when my fibro is well-managed by medication, enough sleep, reduction of stress, etc., etc. there's lots of tips and tricks on management of fibro here if you read through the old posts.

let us know how you're doing!

08/19/2010 05:17 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

08/20/2010 05:35 AM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
Group Leader

Hi, I'm new to this group, but see there are many familiar faces from a different Fibro group. Smile

Since I can't really exercise or do walking, my PT is trying to get me aprorved for a water exercise program in a near-by town. Do any of you do this? I swam in a friends pool, first time in the water for many years, and it was just so so wonderful. I can't tell you how freeing it felt, to be able to move around with so little pain. Smile I was like a kid at Christmas, after opening their most wished for gift!

I had no aftermath, which I was anticipating with dread. A little sore in the muscles, as I stayed in froliking like the water baby I am, Tongue far too long.

I did my daily isometrics as prescribed by the pt, using water toys as a cushion; my pillow wouldn't have appreciated the dunking! W00t

Oh, and meant to ask you, Gail. Explain to me again how exercise is go great for Fibromites? I'm not even being facetious here. It seems to make some feel better, but I get only next, or even same day pain and worse debilitation.

Dizzy

Post edited by: oregonnative, at: 08/20/2010 05:42 AM

08/20/2010 08:43 AM
gz55

welcome to our little family, karen!

exercise makes anybody healthier on the whole and the healthier we are, the better able we are to cope with the fibro. also, the endorphins and all that.

but.....i know what you mean about getting more pain than we already have. some can tolerate exercise and some cannot. if you can tolerate it than i think it would help you overall. unfortunately, like you, i'm not one of those that can tolerate it.

i did warm water therapy last summer and it was wonderful! i was in total wonderment at how i could move with so little pain. for me it has to be warm water since my muscles contract in cold or even cool water due to my bizarro muscle condition. hope you get approved for that program!

08/20/2010 03:29 PM
suebrr

My Doc is recommendingsome sore of cardio. If I do theat it would have to be the water therapy, I would like to stay heart healty but, my back won't tolerate much else. I am good with the Yoga or stretching, still very flexible. I appreciate your input! Sue b

08/20/2010 09:20 PM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
Group Leader

If I ever get a pool, you are all invited to use it! Smile I can only tolerate warm water, too. Cold hurts my skin, joints, just everything it seems. I couldn't get past my big toe. LOL Thanks for the nice welcome, Gail!

08/21/2010 01:03 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

The best thing that works for me is 'water exercise'. My doctor gave me a prescription to use the hospital pool. They have classes there, and the best part is- the water is 92 degrees. Smile

Unfortunately, I haven't been in a very long time. It takes me about 45 min to get there. So, by the time I get there, exercise, get out of there, and drive home. I'm totally exhausted.

I even lost a little bit of weight doing it. I'm hoping to do it again sometime.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved