MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/28/2012 12:49 PM

antidepressants that lessen pain med effect?

jeleven

So my real fibro doctor doesn't argue with me but others shake their heads when I tell them that SOME psychotropic drugs seem to decrease the effectiveness of my pain medication. I found Cymbalta might take the pain down a notch but decreases the relief of my current meds so I would rather skip it and have one less medicine coursing through my system. I don't get the addiction scare...one has to ween off of antidepressants just as one does with pain meds, so how is it any different? I would think it's onle a problem if I started craving meds or using it for reasons other than pain. I get tolerance is a problem, but again. I don't see the difference when one must increase any other drugs that wear off after time in their usefulness. I keep saying to the skeptics, I have somethng to live for, I feel better off pain meds when I don't need them, I acually deal with feelings and problems and don't look to escape, so you're just going to have to trust me.

Anyway, has anyone found this to be the case with them? Antidepressants decreasing the efficacy of pain meds?

04/30/2012 09:41 AM
AJ1971
AJ1971  

Yes im also on cymbalta and have had one of the worst weeks I can remember so I took a oxycodone and it did not work but it always has before I started taking cymbalta.

05/01/2012 11:28 AM
Annelle
Annelle  

When I was on Cymbalta I had a kidney stone that needed to be broken up. After the surgery I was in a lot of pain. They tried Vicodin, then Percocet, then Morphine on me and none worked. I was in pain for the rest of the day and just had to deal with it. I'm now on Zoloft and gabapentin. Much better!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved