MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/05/2010 07:07 AM

No sleep, terrible pain...

ArmyCM
ArmyCM  

It is Friday and I am on my last of four- ten hour days without any sleep whatsoever. To top it off, my pain is easily at an 8-9 out of a 10. I can barely stand it. I have soldiers coming in to see me soon that just came out of the field. I want to see them, then go home and take drugs and sleep. I hate being like this because there is no way I can focus. I never would have come to work if I hadn't scheduled patients. I do not have anyone to take my place. At least it is Friday. But, my husband scheduled a tax appointment for tomorrow and I need to get all our medical statements ready when I get home. I am not sure he understands how bad I really am.Angry

03/05/2010 10:21 AM
Rainmist
Rainmist  

Argh, horrible day! Hugs, I hope you can escape soon and get some pain relief and the sleep you need. How are you doing with the fatigue? Is driving getting any easier?

Have you ever tried sharing the Spoon Theory or the Letter to Normals with your husband? (pegged on the General Support forum if you want to have a look)

Take care of yourself, hope tomorrow is a much better and easier day

03/05/2010 11:16 AM
ArmyCM
ArmyCM  

Yes, my husband actually came in to pain managment/counseling with me this week. We talked a lot about these things. My husband has chronic back pain, but I think he doesn't get that there is so much more to FMS than just pain. He is trying though and I think in time, he will get it!

03/05/2010 11:54 AM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hey Lori,

I'm sorry to hear you're having it rough. I understand--it's been a really rough week for me, and it doesn't show signs of getting better yet. It seems like if it's not one thing it's another. It's a migraine today! LOL Wink But I did crash last night for about 2 hours, and that seemed to help a little.

Is there any way your hubby can help you get the medical stuff together for the taxes? Maybe you can either take a nap or try to get him to get that together? Or if not, perhaps you could get up early and get it all together? IDK if any of that is a possibility, but it sounds like you need to de-stress and FAST!

Try to relax as much as possible. If you feel like you need to get it all done before you actually do take pain meds and go to sleep, try this remedy for a little "me" time. Shut yourself in the restroom if you have to, and do a little visualization. Take a few deep breaths to relax yourself, shake yourself a little to release any tension in your shoulders, and slump a little if you need to. Get into a relaxed position so you won't have to move any while you're doing this.

Now, picture yourself walking down the beach. Try to take in any scents you can remember from past visits, and see yourself headed toward a beach chair or towel, whichever is more relaxing to you. Feel the warm sun beating down on you--not too hot, not too cold. If any thoughts of the day try to get in, just see them float away with the clouds or pass out with the next wave. Hear the waves crash gently upon the shores and see pretty shapes in the clouds. Look up and around. There's no one there but you. Breathe in and out and smell the beach. (If you have to, you can set a timer for 15 minutes, cuz you can really get lost doing this!) Feel your feet in the sand, and just remind yourself how relaxing it is to be there at this time. When you feel really relaxed (drink that mojito if you want to while you're there), go ahead and get up and walk off back into your own world. Open your eyes, and shake yourself again to bring yourself back into your own world once again.

It's nice to just get away, even if it's not really getting away. This is a great way to just relieve yourself of pain and the stresses of the day. And it reminds you to take time out for yourself. And it should refresh you to be able to tackle whatever else you have to in order to get through till you can rest. Smile

Hugs,

jen Smile

Post edited by: fluffyluggage, at: 03/05/2010 11:55 AM

03/06/2010 01:21 AM
binbin
binbin  

Morning Lori. I'm new 2- & remember those 3-4 LONG workday schedules-walKing & listening to relaxing music,removing myself completely from my work environment & employees during breaks was a must! I am no longer working the full time routine so it's easier 4 my situation to relieve stress when it arrives- relieving constant pain is a minute to minute job all on its own. I've developed very positive friendships with the kindest people that encourage & support me emotionally. I also have ADD,makes decisions & organization of any kind-a great big puzzle! this month...fractured right wrist,and yesterday after a VERY GOOD DAY- l walked Behind a couple of men engaged in a heated "chat";while heading into the market for milk- wrong place. wrong time- got my lights knocked out! Black eye & swollen Cheekbone emergang Sad --he was what I refer 2 as an animated hand talker. Arms & body in full motion while describing a story! Grew up with hand talking siblings! 1 Know better to keep a safe distance And not encourage further discussion about Baseball & HockeySmile

Hope you're having a restful weekend.

peace-

-Robin-

03/06/2010 01:38 PM
khibdon

Hello ArmyCM. Life sounds really tough for you now. I hope you can make some changes to your schedule. I found the more I tried to deny/endure the pain, the worse I got. Other symptoms started popping up one after another until I finally had to acknowledge I could no longer do full time work.

Examples: headaches, insomnia, falling asleep while driving, IBS gut pain, throat infections, FMS pain head to toe, etc, etc.

I like the "take a vacation at home" thru meditation/imagery. My favorite place to go is a return trip to Glacier Nat'l Park in Montana. I lie in a canoe on one of the high country lakes, float with the tide, hear the lapping of the water, and stare up into the wide open bright blue sky with white puffy clouds sailing by. There is such a fresh, clean smell of the water, the pines, and the composting soil of the nearby woods. In summer, the feel of the light breeze cool from crossing the glaciers on the near mountain tops. Everyone could benefit from a mind vacation, I think.

For my 8-9 pain scale, I go either to warm moist heat or to ice packs. It is possible to buy from a Medical Equipment store the actual "hot packs" used by physical therapists. They make them shaped for the neck, and square or rectangle ones. These can be heated in a big cooking pot to the proper temp, wrapped in towels and relaxed upon. The neck one has velcro to stay secured around your neck. Nothing relaxes me so much as being surrounded by hot packs. Sometimes I have to go to ice packs to merely numb the pain.

The main thing I learned about my body is that I cannot continue to push myself beyond my limits without bringing on further problems. And I thought FMS/CFS was REALLY BAD, well, it is also possible to develop other illnesses along with it. So, please find a way to make changes and get back into a pain zone that is tolerable.

Just think of what POW's go thru. They are subjected to torture by sleeplessness and continuous, unending pain. Sound familiar? I can see how very dedicated you are to your patients, but you are also a patient. Please give yourself the compassion and empathy you give others. You are deserving of finding treatment that helps, or to slow down to a pace you can tolerate, keep your sanity, and enjoy life. Please give yourself a break. Please set boundries about what you are able to do and are willing to do.

Having FMS is not a weakness! Every person has limitations and FMS will probably add additional limitations to those you had before. I'm wishing you much success in working a solution that will make your life more tolerable and enjoyable. I worked for the federal gov't and felt responsible for doing quality work despite our dept. being repeatedly scheduled short-handed. Had I not pushed myself past my endurance, I might never have developed FMS. Good Luck. Hugs. Karen

03/09/2010 06:50 AM
ArmyCM
ArmyCM  

I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's reply! Just to know there are those that know what I am going through and are thinking of me is wonderful. I tried to go home early on Friday, but, had a soldier that was desperate to see me. I tried to have him seen by the behavioral health department, but, he had been given my name. I am glad I saw him, but, of couse, it was at my health's expense. I went home and went right to bed. I told my husband that there was no way that I could do the taxes. He would either have to do them himself or cancel the appointment. He huffed a little, then set about doing them. I felt good putting my foot down! I layed down all evening and did my deep breathing and visualization. I found it comical that you all gave me advice on meditation and insomnia. I actually teach an insomnia class and teach all my patients relaxation techniques! I do practice what I preach, just not enough!!! I will take you advice and tell myself I am worth it. I need to put my health first. Thank you all!Sideways

03/09/2010 09:58 AM
Rainmist
Rainmist  

Yay you putting your foot down! That's great! Smile

03/10/2010 11:46 AM
fluffyluggage
fluffyluggage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hey Lori,

That's great to hear that you finally did put your foot down, even if it was at home. How do you feel now? It is ironic that you teach classes on insomnia and relaxation. Perhaps you feel that since you don't necessarily have an issue with insomnia per se, you don't need that relaxation time? However, it's always worth it to be reminded that you need to take "me" time out--I rarely practice what I preach, so when someone tells me that I need to, it's a real call to action for me! I get that nudge, and I go and do it!

Hugs,

Jen Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved