MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/06/2011 06:06 AM

diapers vs. colostomy: which is easier???

barthur
barthur  

Just wanted to know if anyone had seriously considered having a colostomy instead of wearing diapers 24/7. I'm just curious because diapers are horrible to deal with, and yet I've heard horror stories about colostomies too. Any advice???

So far, I've chosen diapers, but some days I wonder

Thanks very much,

BradUnsure Unsure

11/02/2011 11:32 PM
lifesux
lifesux  

I just could not imagine having a perma- hole in my body.

11/03/2011 04:57 AM
barthur
barthur  

Hi-

I could not imagine having a permanent hole protruding from my stomach either! Especially with all the daily cleanings, the odor, leakage, and risk of infection... not that diapers are a huge improvement, but for some they are.

Keep sharing. A lot of people don't want to talk about such things, so good for you!Smile

11/16/2011 12:50 PM
fremit

Hi,

I do not have fecal incontinence, but had ulcerative colitis for a long time and have an ileostomy. I saw that nobody with an ostomy had weighed in on this topic, and wanted to let you know a little about what it is like living with an ostomy. I've had my ostomy since I was 24, and am 37 now. I do not like having an ostomy, I don't think anyone does... it is much better to have a functioning digestive tract. However, living with an ostomy is not as difficult as most people think. It is a commitment to a surgery, however many ostomies are reversible as long as your doctor leaves your anus in place. Without knowing anything about what is causing your fecal incontinence, I don't know how exactly how your ostomy would work. However, many people with colostomies can irrigate and wear a very small bag. In addition, colostomies are usually easier to live with than ileostomies, because the more formed the stool, the less skin irritation and leakage are a problem. People are afraid of the unknown, so I am not surprised that someone who is used to handling incontinence with a diaper would be fearful of getting a colostomy, but I have known incontinent people who did, and they were glad to have that option. As long as you don't tell someone you have a colostomy, noone knows. I don't have any odor, and you cannot see the bag under clothes. I don't have any skin irritation or rashes, and I live my life normally. I am not saying you should run out and get an ostomy. But think about going to a meeting of the UOAA or meeting with a colorectal surgeon and/or Wound Ostomy COntinence Nurse (WOCN). Or check out the website www.c3life.com which is a site for ostomates. It is not a commitment, but it may be worth your while to talk to people who have dealt with incontinence and chosen to get an ostomy. You will also find that many people who get their ostomies reversed and find that they have incontinence will choose to go back to the ostomy. I think you might find our lives are not so bad.Cool

Post edited by: fremit, at: 11/16/2011 01:09 PM

Post edited by: fremit, at: 11/16/2011 02:12 PM

11/16/2011 02:15 PM
fremit

I totally agree. I am not saying one is better than the other. I cannot imagine a life in diapers. Most people cannot imagine life with an ostomy. But since Brad was asking specifically about the pros and cons, and nobody with an ostomy was here to say anything about the procedure, I wanted to make myself and/or the ostomy community available to answer any questions. A WOCN is a great resource because they work with both ostomies and incontinence. Thanks for letting me share my opinionSmile

Post edited by: fremit, at: 11/16/2011 05:01 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved