MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/11/2012 10:30 AM

Fatty liver

Tiger117

im 30 years of age and was drinking alcohol heavily last year every day, for January I decided to just drink at weekend not binge drinking just a few. I had blood tests done last month and was told I have a fatty liver and to stop drinking which is hard, I can't stop crying and think I'm gonna die, I am taking milk thistle and dandelion root, can anyone suggest anything to help fatty liver get better? I'm very depressed and feel like a failure to my kids for getting this way.

02/13/2012 04:50 PM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Tiger117,

I know this can be a scary time.

Now let me give you some good news.

Alcohol causes a type of Fatty liver that once the alcohol is removed (Completely and forever)the liver will heal.

Non alcoholic Fatty liver is treated by losing weight and controlling diabetes.

In short living as healthy as you can.

I know it can be hard so get help.

AA and other rehabs work for many,

You may want to check out

http://www.smartrecovery.org/

I know others it has helped

Although may people still swear by Milk Thistle recent research has shown it to have little to no effect.

02/14/2012 09:51 AM
Tiger117

thank you for replying will check out that website

02/24/2012 06:00 PM
Tiger117

hi , ive had a recent letter sent to me saying i have a grossly deranged liver it just gets worse im thinking of going to hospital. ive been in hospital for mental health issues, ive cut down booze so much . i think i would prefer to die

02/25/2012 10:00 AM
mpmom
mpmom  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

tiger117

Deep breath please.

First , "grossly deranged liver" is just a term they use to describe the Fatty Live or nay Liver disease that changes the make up of the liver. Since you have Fatty Liver the texture is changed. often you'll see it written as "Diffuse Fatty Changes" It means the same thing. It doesn't mean that your liver is any worse than when you were first told you had Fatty Liver.

Only you can decide to stop drinking completely and Live healthy. Patients with alcohol induced Liver Disease do get better once the alcohol is removed.

Already having Mental health issues you know that depression can keep us from doing what we know is the right thing. I think going to see your Mental health Dr is a great idea. There is no shame is getting help when needed.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved